The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
pokerpossum

Question Easy removal of front clip???

I have a 1952 GMC Suburban and I would like to remove the front clip as intact as possible. I see 5 bolts on each fender connected to the body, a u-bolt under the radiator mount, and the 2 braces in the engine compartment. Is there anything else, or any tricks I would like to know before I begin?
Thanks in advance,
Possum
pokerpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Easy removal of front clip???

The two bolts under the core support
The bolts holding the braces to the firewall. It's best to remove the braces from the fenders too.
The bolts that hold the fenders to the cab.
The bolts that hold the inner fender panels to the firewall on each side.

Spray the nuts with a good penetrating fluid like PB Blaster or the industrial strength stuff that I picked up at Fasteners the other day and let it soak in good. Especially the bolts for the inner panels as they go into fixed nuts rather than having nuts on them.

It's a whole lot easier if you take the bumper and bumper brackets off first. Two or three guys can lift the nose over the bumper but it makes a lot of extra effort and then it becomes the worlds second greatest shin banger besides your brother in laws big ugly trailer hitch. Plus the bumper is in the way all the time when you are working on the engine or frame or engine compartment.

You can lift the fenders over the tires but it's a lot easier if they are off with the truck sitting on stands under the axle.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
pokerpossum

Smile Re: Easy removal of front clip???

Thanks, Mr48chev,
I read some other blogs and they said about the same thing....I got it totally unbolted in 1 1/2 hours. It was easier to just over-tighten the bolts that had nuts behind them, and bust them out. The firewall/inner fender bolts came out easy. The Suburban used to be an ARMY ambulance, so the gov't had it super undercoated. There is very little rust for a 60 year old truck.
Thanks again,
Possum
pokerpossum is offline   Reply With Quote