The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
Botietruck
'71 chevy s.bed/s.side

Project " '71 short step" AKA "The Ark"

Back in the late '80's / early '90's when I lived in Culpeper, VA, I saw this truck, usually on Saturday mornings at the local grocery store or at Southern States Co-op. The driver was an older fellow and his passenger was a little gray haired lady. I knew where they lived, but knew nothing more about them. I just knew I would love to have his truck.
Fast forward to January '93 when I took a job transfer to Chesapeake, VA. In Sept. '93, a friend called me from Culpeper and said Mr. Johnston was selling the truck. I immediately called him and we settled on a price of $1500.00 over the phone. When I asked him if it had any rust, he said, "well, on the woman's side, just below the door there is some rust." I thought that was funny, sexist, but funny.
Well, I made arrangements and on Sept. 25 '93, I left Chesapeake at 4:30 am and headed for Culpeper. I made previous arrangements with a local U-Haul dealer to pick up a tow dolly and bring the truck back home. I arrived at Mr. Johnston's place at 7:40 am and looked the truck over. We made the deal and I loaded it on the tow dolly and headed for the trucks' new home. Before I left his place, he went to the barn and came out with a set of full size hubcaps that looked to be from an early '50's Chevrolet car. He gave those to me and I later sold them for $100.00.
I titled it on Sept. 30, '93. It was a bare bones C-10. It had the radio delete plate and everything (except for the seat cover and rust) was just like it was when it came from the factory. I eventually added power steering, replaced the muffler and installed a new clutch. I drove it daily until May 16, '96, and that is where this frame-off rebuild begins. Here is a couple pics before the teardown.

Botietruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Botietruck
'71 chevy s.bed/s.side

Re: Project " '71 short step" AKA "The Ark"

I started this project for two reasons, one because I wanted to have some father /son time, and two because I had a real desire to do a restoration on one of these trucks. I realized after I got into this that Chris, my son, did not have the same burning desires that I did. He helped along the way, but he just couldn't get into it.
Here's a pick of us removing the cab. Also a pic of the disassembly progress.

Last edited by Botietruck; 01-18-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Botietruck is offline   Reply With Quote