The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: 13" Brakes: Any Interest?
Yes, interested 195 95.59%
No thanks 9 4.41%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2008, 02:45 AM   #176
SCOTI

Re: How Much Interest: 13" Big Brake Upgrade

Last night, we mocked up the 2.5" spindle in a vise & mounted a front wheel (20x8.5) to verify everything cleared. It looked sweet!

It should look real nice once it's all on the front end of the truck. Pics by Sun PM!!!!!!!!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 03-02-2008 at 02:46 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:53 PM   #177
pcmcobra

it's monday,
where's the pics?

Miami...Flee it like a native
pcmcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:25 PM   #178
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmcobra View Post
it's monday,
where's the pics?
Rainout. No garage means mother nature has to cooperate.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 03-06-2008, 05:19 AM   #179
Orange
Licensed to Thrill!

Dang, why did I get sucked into this thread.

Waiting. Patiently...

DLB
Old 03-13-2008, 11:51 PM   #180
Ackattack

Any updates. I'd love to see pictures of the step by step install too.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:22 AM   #181
SCOTI

Guys, I'm not forgetting about you (I swear). I've been having to do the city 'recommended' spring cleaning out back so truck stuff got bumped. It seems one of my neighbors doesn't care for the disassembled vehicle in my rear-entry type driveway.

I've got everything but the truck removed & have a stack of receipts towards the parts required for reassembly. Hopefully it will make a difference & I won't have to move the truck. If the city still has a problem, I'll have to load the chassis/cab onto my trailer (it's an 'end around' since the trailer is currently licensed/tagged).

I'm getting ready to get the tires mounted up now.....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-27-2008, 05:21 AM   #182
randyjohn

progress?

'74 GMC 3/4 TON 2WD LB
randyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:19 AM   #183
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyjohn View Post
progress?
Unfortunately, yes but no.

I finished up the assembly of the Dropmember front suspension but had to throw some stock 12" rotors on the front end just to make it a roller & load it up on my trailer where it sits now (to get the city off my arse).

We did mount the brakes w/wheels late one night & they look sweet. Most guys want the cross-drilled 'bling' but I like the big-rotors w/o the bling so mine are solid/un-drilled.

I get one day each weekend ususally to get things accomplished so time is scarce. I now have to borrow a truck..... to move the trailer.... to unload my truck.... so I can push it back up into the driveway to work on it. When I'm done, I get to load it back up again. You can see where most of the time goes.

My next plan is to get an air-over leaf set-up & a hidden-hitch for my 74 so I can move the trailer w/o having to coordinate time w/outside help.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-28-2008, 05:13 AM   #184
randyjohn

let us know how that air over leaf works out cause i'm doing the exact same thing this summer

'74 GMC 3/4 TON 2WD LB
randyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:24 AM   #185
DKN

The Latest Update with CPP’s 13” Brake Kit;

We just finished all the official testing on the CPP 13” kit. The official data will be published in Classic Trucks magazine. I can not give you the details on how it went, but I can tell you we stopped in about 1/3 less distance than before, when it had the 12” disc front and the big drum rear. The truck we tested is a heavy half. We even out stopped all but 1 of the cars that were being tested that day. The only car to out stop us was on 14” rotors, 6 piston calipers, and sticky tires. In fact all of the “race” cars had at least 13” rotors, and very sticky tires. Their test driver commented that the truck was the easiest to drive at the limits. All of the “race” cars required a lot of driver control, most wanted to spin out during every maneuver being tested. During the brake testing in the truck he actually let go of the steering wheel, and stopped perfectly straight. None of the other cars could come even close to stopping straight on their own.

Danny Nix
CPP
DKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:01 PM   #186
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKN View Post
The Latest Update with CPP’s 13” Brake Kit;

We just finished all the official testing on the CPP 13” kit. The official data will be published in Classic Trucks magazine. I can not give you the details on how it went, but I can tell you we stopped in about 1/3 less distance than before, when it had the 12” disc front and the big drum rear. The truck we tested is a heavy half. We even out stopped all but 1 of the cars that were being tested that day. The only car to out stop us was on 14” rotors, 6 piston calipers, and sticky tires. In fact all of the “race” cars had at least 13” rotors, and very sticky tires. Their test driver commented that the truck was the easiest to drive at the limits. All of the “race” cars required a lot of driver control, most wanted to spin out during every maneuver being tested. During the brake testing in the truck he actually let go of the steering wheel, and stopped perfectly straight. None of the other cars could come even close to stopping straight on their own.

Danny Nix
CPP
Gee . . ... Thanks for being there when I tried to get this going a year ago.

Why can't you give the details of how it went?
What options does the CPP kit come with?
What parts are available independently?
Will you offer both stock & dropped spindle kits?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 03-29-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #187
revn67

thats kinda lame to post that in this thread.......

"finish your beer, theres sober kids in india!"
revn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:19 PM   #188
Truckstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by revn67 View Post

'67 short Fleet; my ongoing project.
'66 long Fleet; my original "baby."

Live life or bust trying.
Truckstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:24 PM   #189
DKN

The details will be printed in Classis Trucks magazine. After they mail the subscriptions copies we can go into more detail. We will not be able to name the other companies because it might be viewed as vendor bashing.

The options offered are stainless braided hoses instead of rubber, and caliper colors. The calipers are stocked in full chrome, chrome & powder coat, and powder coat. The stocked powder coat colors are silver, black, blue, red, and hammer tone/silver vein (black and silver mixed). The chrome & powder coat look really good. The caliper body is polished and chromed, the bridge is powder coated to give it a color accent.

The kits are offered with or without spindles, and replacement rotors are available. They can be had in truck 6 and 5 lug patterns, or the car 5 lug pattern if you want to use a car wheel. The spindles are available separately so that the customer can use any brand of brake that they can bolt on. We have a bracket that will allow you to bolt on the stock brakes.

We are currently producing the dropped spindle, and the stock spindle will come later.

Danny Nix
CPP
Old 03-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #190
DKN

Quote:
Originally Posted by revn67 View Post
I am not here to start a fight, or bash some else. I am sharing information and answering questions.

Isn’t the forum about sharing information and helping people be informed about their trucks? What if you just bought a brand X brake kit for $6K and found out that the CPP kit out performed it and cost $1K. Would you feel happy about dropping the extra $5K while you buddy new the other kit was available?

If you want to drop $6k on brand X then do it. I say to each his own. I am proud of the results from my brake kit. I believe that when it comes down to the “bang for the buck” it is very hard to beat this kit. This kind of completion is what drives engineers to create better products.

Again, I am not bashing anybody’s product, or how much they charge you for it. I want to share my joy on a successful track day, and let the truck community know they have options. As far as I know, no one else has made a spindle with the purpose of allowing the customer to bolt on ANY BRAND of brake they choose.

Danny Nix
CPP

Last edited by DKN; 03-29-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #191
Truckstr

Quote:
I am not here to start a fight, or bash some else. I am sharing information and answering questions.

Isn’t the forum about sharing information and helping people be informed about their trucks? What if you just bought a brand X brake kit for $6K and found out that the CPP kit out performed it and cost $1K. Would you feel happy about dropping the extra $5K while you buddy new the other kit was available?

If you want to drop $6k on brand X then do it. I say to each his own. I am proud of the results from my brake kit. I believe that when it comes down to the “bang for the buck” it is very hard to beat this kit. This kind of completion is what drives engineers to create better products.

Again, I am not bashing anybody’s product, or how much they charge you for it. I want to share my joy on a successful track day, and let the truck community know they have options. As far as I know, no one else has made a spindle with the purpose of allowing the customer to bolt on ANY BRAND of brake they choose.

Danny Nix
CPP
So... Post it in another thread. That would be the "proper" (and considerate) thing to do. No?

'67 short Fleet; my ongoing project.
'66 long Fleet; my original "baby."

Live life or bust trying.
Truckstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:16 PM   #192
68laydout

Thumbs down Re: How Much Interest: 13" Big Brake Upgrade

Quote:

Danny Nix
CPP

F!ck...CPP....I want everyone to know that if they buy anything from CPP it will be the last thing they buy from them. They have the worst customer service, parts pulling, and shipping I have ever seen in my life!!! They burned me not once, not twice, but three f'n times!!!!
68laydout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:48 PM   #193
SCOTI

Quote:

Danny Nix
CPP
Perhaps CPP should work on their internal communication then.

As I've stated in a previous thread, I have used CPP products & would consider myself a loyal customer. This was one reason I approached CPP about creating a big brake kit for classic Chevy trucks back during the early marketing of the 'car' kits. I was told there were no plans to make such a kit available for the trucks.

I'm all for competition as well. But I'm guessing you guys wouldn't like someone from Baer mentioning their goods on a post one of you generated about your new brake kits..... regardless of the price.

This thread was created to show there was interest. I found those "engineers willing to create better products" (specifically cheap/optioned big brake kits), they just weren't w/CPP. I am glad CPP saw the market potential of upgraded brake kits for these old trucks beyond what they already offered. Variety is a good thing for the car/truck enthusiast.

FWIW..... I also tried to get just a trailing arm bracket for one of your Super Track Bar kits but was told I had to purchase the entire kit for just the one bracket. I explained that my truck had been broken into & misc parts were stolen (one of which was that trailing arm bracket). I even asked if I could get an extra bracket if I purchased an entire kit to show good faith..... CPP's response . . .... "can't do it". Some flexibility would have gone a long way. I told the guy I would just make my own vs. buying the CPP kit again.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-30-2008, 12:10 AM   #194
DKN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Perhaps CPP should work on their internal communication then.

As I've stated in a previous thread, I have used CPP products & would consider myself a loyal customer. This was one reason I approached CPP about creating a big brake kit for classic Chevy trucks back during the early marketing of the 'car' kits. I was told there were no plans to make such a kit available for the trucks.

I'm all for competition as well. But I'm guessing you guys wouldn't like someone from Baer mentioning their goods on a post one of you generated about your new brake kits..... regardless of the price.

This thread was created to show there was interest. I found those "engineers willing to create better products" (specifically cheap/optioned big brake kits), they just weren't w/CPP. I am glad CPP saw the market potential of upgraded brake kits for these old trucks beyond what they already offered. Variety is a good thing for the car/truck enthusiast.

FWIW..... I also tried to get just a trailing arm bracket for one of your Super Track Bar kits but was told I had to purchase the entire kit for just the one bracket. I explained that my truck had been broken into & misc parts were stolen (one of which was that trailing arm bracket). I even asked if I could get an extra bracket if I purchased an entire kit to show good faith..... CPP's response . . .... "can't do it". Some flexibility would have gone a long way. I told the guy I would just make my own vs. buying the CPP kit again.
I do not know who you talked to about the possibility of a CPP 13” kit. In the early stages of development on the car kits we were not looking at making truck kits. The car kits are well under way in production now. Our sales people are not “in the loop” when it comes to what is happening in the R&D side of the company. If you walk into the Chevrolet dealer, do you think the salesman will be able to tell you what the next new thing is that’s in development at GM’s secret testing grounds?

I must have missed something along the way that said a person is allowed to advertise and sell his parts in the forum. I thought this was about sharing information that could help the truck community, NOT a private ad forum. No I would not be offended if some else mentioned that they have a similar product that they want to let the world know is available. I have not said that anybody’s parts are bad, or that anyone should stay away from a particular company/person.

If you have a good product at a good price I expect that people will buy it. I would have expected that you would want to use the new spindle with your parts to reduce the cost of your kit.

As for your inability to buy 1 piece of a kit: several years ago the deluxe track bar kit was redesigned to work with a C-notch kit. The kit was actually made by some else and CPP simply retailed the kit. After complaints about the C-notch kit not working I was asked to come up with an improved kit. The new kit is not compatible with the old kit, and you would need all of the parts for it to work. The sales man may not have explained it to you that way, or maybe the sales man was not being reasonable. I apologize that the sales person was lacking.

SCOTI I encourage you to make a 13” kit for everyone to use. I am not trying to stop you. GO FOR IT! But please, do not get offended because some else has a similar part. We have offered the Baer Kit for these trucks for more than 4 years now. They are pricy and take a long time for Baer to ship them. Their lead time was one of the reasons we looked into producing this kit.

Danny Nix
CPP
Old 03-30-2008, 03:06 AM   #195
SCOTI

Quote:
I do not know who you talked to about the possibility of a CPP 13” kit. In the early stages of development on the car kits we were not looking at making truck kits. The car kits are well under way in production now. Our sales people are not “in the loop” when it comes to what is happening in the R&D side of the company. If you walk into the Chevrolet dealer, do you think the salesman will be able to tell you what the next new thing is that’s in development at GM’s secret testing grounds?
GM may not have sales people that know what's coming down the pipeline, but that's a down-side to their company. I walked into a Ford dealership in 2001 to inquire about the Bullet Mustangs. The sales guy asked me if I was looking for a 2 or 4-door...... That's what I think about most car salesman.

Even if your salesperson didn't know exactly, they could have inquired & got back w/me vs. an absolute no. The thing you might consider is what other opportunities have been missed? As a car guy, I would be trying to find out as much as possible about what my company was offering so that I could benefit my customer. Anything less is an 'order-taker' aka a data-entry clerk which is potentially hurting your business.

Quote:
I must have missed something along the way that said a person is allowed to advertise and sell his parts in the forum. I thought this was about sharing information that could help the truck community, NOT a private ad forum. No I would not be offended if some else mentioned that they have a similar product that they want to let the world know is available. I have not said that anybody’s parts are bad, or that anyone should stay away from a particular company/person.

If you have a good product at a good price I expect that people will buy it. I would have expected that you would want to use the new spindle with your parts to reduce the cost of your kit.
What you missed is this thread was to generate feedback to show that there is interest in a budget big brake kit & not just from one guy on the phone. The manufacturer I've worked with didn't tell me emphatically no. They also didn't say yes . . .... but they were willing to discuss the possibilities.

That being said, the difference between you & I is I'm not selling anyone anything. I have absolutely no involvement w/the brake kit other than a consumers perspective. So, I have been "sharing information that could help the truck community" by asking them what they would like. Where did you post CPP's thread asking for this type of feedback?

Quote:
As for your inability to buy 1 piece of a kit: several years ago the deluxe track bar kit was redesigned to work with a C-notch kit. The kit was actually made by some else and CPP simply retailed the kit. After complaints about the C-notch kit not working I was asked to come up with an improved kit. The new kit is not compatible with the old kit, and you would need all of the parts for it to work. The sales man may not have explained it to you that way, or maybe the sales man was not being reasonable. I apologize that the sales person was lacking.
All I had left was the 'delux bar' or the long bar. The rest of the bracket/s (the trailing arm bracket) were missing & I explained that to the sales guy (Mark or Mario?). I even discussed w/him an oversite that I found on your website where there were description discrepancies between 2 identical P/N's on 2 different pages of the site for the 67-72 DTBK.

I made my own bracket (using your 'long' bar that didn't get stolen because it was in my garage) so it all worked out fine in the end. I'm not bitter, but I'll make my own from now on because I know where your system (& your competitors system) is lacking. I did submit improvement suggestions while I was talking w/your rep . ..... hopefully your R&D team got them .

Quote:
I encourage you to make a 13” kit for everyone to use. I am not trying to stop you. GO FOR IT! But please, do not get offended because some else has a similar part. We have offered the Baer Kit for these trucks for more than 4 years now. They are pricy and take a long time for Baer to ship them. Their lead time was one of the reasons we looked into producing this kit. Danny Nix/CPP
See above..... I'm not here to profit (financially), I was just trying to help my fellow enthusiasts so I'm not offended. My reasoning was I wanted to be able to have options when choosing my affordable brake package. I don't consider different colors of powder-coating as options.

I suppose I can call my quest a success. Now that CPP's offering yet another choice for brake kits (& potentially @ a better price vs. what's currently available from Baer & SSBC), it's a good thing for the classic GM truck community!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 04-04-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:34 AM   #196
CHYNSPR

A little while back, a board vendor posted a similar brake kit now available (probably CPP's kit). The big difference is he started his own thread, rather than hijack another members post, as DKN has.

I am all for different options being available to me, but a little common sense and respect would be more appropriate here. SCOTI has put a lot of time and effort into trying to help other members with an unavailalbe option (at the time this post was started). Bring on your new products, just put them in the proper spot. Also, you probably won't make too many friends by getting into a p***ing match with a longtime member.

DKN, I welcome you as a new member, just trying to help out with with what I think is appropriate forum ettiquette, hope you don't take this the wrong way.
CHYNSPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:59 AM   #197
DKN

Not getting into an argument….
Just trying to share info about 13” brake kits on the thread titled 13” brake kits…
I’m not even trying to sell them. People keep asking and messaging me about it. In fact I avoid giving people cost and part numbers. I am not a salesman…
I thought starting a thread specifically for my parts would be inappropriate I only wanted to share more info about the 13” brake on the 13” brake thread.
I do not know about the thread hijacking. I thought it was about 13” brakes for the 1963-1987 2 wheel drive trucks. I am new to this forum, I just saw the title about 13” brakes and am sharing info about it (and making people mad?).

Danny Nix
CPP
Old 03-30-2008, 04:14 AM   #198
CHYNSPR

Not mad here, and I can see how you misunderstood the thread.

Again, it just would be more appropriate, in this particular case, to start your own thread, or even better, become a site supporter and post in the classifieds as well as this forum. It is just that I have followed this thread since last summer, and I know SCOTI has put some effort into making this brake kit happen.

Just my opinion, for what it is worth, not mad or trying to ruffle a bunch of feathers!

Welcome aboard!
CHYNSPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:21 AM   #199
SCOTI

Quote:
Not getting into an argument….
Just trying to share info about 13” brake kits on the thread titled 13” brake kits…
I’m not even trying to sell them. People keep asking and messaging me about it. In fact I avoid giving people cost and part numbers. I am not a salesman…
I thought starting a thread specifically for my parts would be inappropriate I only wanted to share more info about the 13” brake on the 13” brake thread.
I do not know about the thread hijacking. I thought it was about 13” brakes for the 1963-1987 2 wheel drive trucks. I am new to this forum, I just saw the title about 13” brakes and am sharing info about it (and making people mad?).

Danny Nix
CPP
I had to go back & check the beginning of the thread & noticed that I mentioned CPP in post #5 on 6-13-07 . .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
Have you guys checked the prices of other 'kits'? $2000-2500.... front only. One manufacturer offers F&R kits for cheaper, but nothing for trucks & don't plan on having anything anytime soon.

This poll is to determine if it is worth pushing the development on an upgraded front kit for these trucks. I don't want to tell the guy 'yep.... lot's of interest". I WANT TO SHOW HIM THERE IS.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 03-30-2008 at 05:27 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:37 AM   #200
Painter D

Keep at it SCOTI. (not a cpp fan myself)
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote