The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2021, 10:52 AM   #1
Gunner41

LED Tail lights

Ok so I was desperate. I just got my clear tail lights and wanted the red LED's for it. Off to Autozone I go. I picked up a couple paks of the Sylvania LED's. It was supposed to be plug and play. Nope. I had to go back and get a LED flasher relay. Back to plugging them in and it still sucks. The left side is whats driving me nuts. R/S no problems. L/S either the turn or the stop but not both. I switched them around so it seemed that the control board was bad cause now the r/s had the problem? I actually had a new one so tried it (after switching it back) same problem? I put the old bulbs back in and no problems anymore? SO its not the board, Not the relay and I switched bulbs around multiple times and they all work. Searching the internet seems like all these people are switching the whole assy and not just bulbs. I have heard that when you switch to LED's that you need to ground each one separately? Im also thinking that there might be something wrong with my harness or connectors? ugh Oh sorry its a 1997 3500 CC/DW and no problems with any of the sides or front LED's r the HID's as well???
Gunner41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:09 AM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: LED Tail lights

The individual grounding sounds like a good idea. I have never dealt with them myself, but I know I have had plenty of issues with the regular stuff because of grounding issues.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:02 PM   #3
sntrym95

Some LEDs are polarized so they can only go in one way and work. You might have something going on where one of the bulbs is 'backwards' from a polarization standpoint.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:47 PM   #4
Gunner41

I did try that and it seemed that the issue would change. If the turn signal was out then the stop would not work. I flipped the bulbs back and now the stop worked but not the turn? either way it wasn't working like it should. Its one of those mysterious issues and Im going nuts. I think I need to walk away for a bit. I have my 67 Nova that Im trying to squeeze a 454 into. Thanks for the help yall.
Gunner41 is offline   Reply With Quote