The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2021, 02:50 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Steering column jacket position?

I'm wondering where the steering jacket should be positioned on the firewall cover. I've seen a few pictures, 1-2 covers are are off the stumps in the jacket (see pic.) and 1-2 rest against the stumps. So I'm pondering over which is right or how much it matters beyond perhaps the shift lever gap and/or the assembly above.

Took a note when I tore it down the cover butts up against the stumps, but that may have been an assumption. My other truck does, but looking at the column it's not a reliable sample. Thanks, pics appreciated though descriptions work too.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 02:59 PM   #2
Davidf

Re: Steering column jacket position?

I think those tabs are there to prevent the column from being shoved into your chest during a frontal collision. Many people push the column forward slightly for increased room between the seat and steering wheel. Just not too far so that the slip joint at top of intermediate shaft is bottomed out...otherwise banging and column bearing damage will/can occur.

BTW, yes, the intermediate shaft is a collapsing shaft, but it takes some force to make it collapse, so the tabs keep the column in place.

Last edited by Davidf; 10-21-2021 at 04:59 PM.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:04 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Subject my other truck, I'm not familiar with this column, maybe because it has a tilt wheel, the truck I'm working on doesn't. But to my knowledge it's supposed to have a washer and spring as well. It shifts well enough, steering alright. EDIT: Tilt columns don't have the spring and washer.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 11-01-2021 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-21-2021, 04:58 PM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
I think those tabs are there to prevent the column from shoved into your chest during a frontal collision. Many people push the column forward slightly for increased room between the seat and steering wheel. Just not too far so that the slip joint at top of intermediate shaft is bottomed out...otherwise banging and column bearing damage will/can occur.

BTW, yes, the intermediate shaft is a collapsing shaft, but it takes some force to make it collapse, so the tabs keep the column in place.
Can I ask what you mean by not bottoming out the slip joint? I haven't put a nut on the pot joint yet - I had the opinion the upper shaft inserts into the point joint as far as it can go.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:02 PM   #5
Davidf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Can I ask what you mean by not bottoming out the slip joint? I haven't put a nut on the pot joint yet - I had the opinion the upper shaft inserts into the point joint as far as it can go.
Look at your second photo to the very left hand side. That is a slip joint that allows the frame/body to flex and not transmit the forces up through the steering column. You can bottom out the travel of that joint if you push the steering column forward as far as it will go. That joint is the limiting factor. In your second picture, you can see that the tabs on the column are up against the firewall bracket...that is normal.

The position of your column in your first photo should be fine and still permit travel in the slip joint.

Below link is the joint I am talking about:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=420406

Last edited by Davidf; 10-21-2021 at 05:08 PM.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:13 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
Look at your second photo to the very left hand side. That is a slip joint that allows the frame/body to flex and not transmit the forces up through the steering column. You can bottom out the travel of that joint if you push the steering column forward as far as it will go. That joint is the limiting factor. In your second picture, you can see that the tabs on the column are up against the firewall bracket...that is normal.

The position of your column in your first photo should be fine and still permit travel in the slip joint.

Below link is the joint I am talking about:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=420406
I think I understand your first comment now, you weren't talking about the upper shaft inside the pot joint, but the pot joint itself, where yes, it adjusts back and forth.

Got your message on adjusting the mast as well, thanks a bunch.

Edit: Got around to reading the service manual. Says "the bracket must not override the protrusions". Now I especially get David's point "Many people push the column forward slightly"

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 10-24-2021 at 01:19 PM.