The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2021, 01:17 PM   #1
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"
 
GOPAPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nampa Idaho
Posts: 6,456
I am thinking of adding glue on strips

down the sides of my truck and I am curios about the these strips staying glued on and also if any of you have photos of your truck with glued on strips .


this is photos of my truck and of another pointing out about where I would add the glue on strip

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  54.8 KB

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  86.3 KB
__________________
There is no one person on this forum smarter than all of the people on this forum put together
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 01:22 PM   #2
Keith Seymore
Registered User
 
Keith Seymore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Motor City
Posts: 8,329
Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

I installed those on my red truck when I restored it in 2009.

They are still on there with no issues.

A couple tricks:

a) You have to clean the painted surface with a solvent that does not leave a residue (alcohol or laquer thinner)

b) Don't touch the adhesive of the molding or the clean area of the paint with your fingers

c) You have to push HARD. Really hard. Like in the assembly plant it would oil can the door hard.

I used a small pie crust roller to go over the moldings and make sure they were completely wet out.

K
__________________
Chevrolet Flint Assembly
1979-1986
GM Full Size Truck Engineering
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:38 PM   #3
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"
 
GOPAPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nampa Idaho
Posts: 6,456
Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I installed those on my red truck when I restored it in 2009.

They are still on there with no issues.

A couple tricks:

a) You have to clean the painted surface with a solvent that does not leave a residue (alcohol or laquer thinner)

b) Don't touch the adhesive of the molding or the clean area of the paint with your fingers

c) You have to push HARD. Really hard. Like in the assembly plant it would oil can the door hard.

I used a small pie crust roller to go over the moldings and make sure they were completely wet out.

K
Thx Keith ,,where did you get yours from ..? May I ask.. knowing where you work or worked makes me want to use your of place of reference

I will copy this and keep it ..
__________________
There is no one person on this forum smarter than all of the people on this forum put together
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:38 PM   #4
TKCR
Senior Member
 
TKCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,620
Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

Mine were done from the PO, in the early 2000ís. Iíve had the truck going on 8 years, and they are still holding strong.
Attached Images
 
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:51 AM   #5
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"
 
GOPAPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nampa Idaho
Posts: 6,456
Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Mine were done from the PO, in the early 2000ís. Iíve had the truck going on 8 years, and they are still holding strong.
Great color and very nice looker ,, like to see all photos of it .. Are they on this site somewhere for all to see ?
That' exactly what I want to do to mine,, but will wait until next summer when it is warmer ..by the way mine is being picked up today and will be in my garage on a day or so ..
__________________
There is no one person on this forum smarter than all of the people on this forum put together
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:30 AM   #6
TKCR
Senior Member
 
TKCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,620
Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Great color and very nice looker ,, like to see all photos of it .. Are they on this site somewhere for all to see ?
That' exactly what I want to do to mine,, but will wait until next summer when it is warmer ..by the way mine is being picked up today and will be in my garage on a day or so ..
I have a build thread. The link is there on the bottom signature
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:52 PM   #7
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"
 
GOPAPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nampa Idaho
Posts: 6,456
Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
I have a build thread. The link is there on the bottom signature
I looked at it ,, Wow! about as good as it gets .. amazing how some people can turn a truck into a gold mine to see and one worth a gold mine to own.. my 71 was a looker .but up close it had it's bad things ,, congrats on your truck TKCR
__________________
There is no one person on this forum smarter than all of the people on this forum put together
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:33 AM   #8
TKCR
Senior Member
 
TKCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,620
Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
I looked at it ,, Wow! about as good as it gets .. amazing how some people can turn a truck into a gold mine to see and one worth a gold mine to own.. my 71 was a looker .but up close it had it's bad things ,, congrats on your truck TKCR
Thank you
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:05 PM   #9
LT7A
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,157
Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I installed those on my red truck when I restored it in 2009.

They are still on there with no issues.

A couple tricks:

a) You have to clean the painted surface with a solvent that does not leave a residue (alcohol or laquer thinner)

b) Don't touch the adhesive of the molding or the clean area of the paint with your fingers

c) You have to push HARD. Really hard. Like in the assembly plant it would oil can the door hard.

I used a small pie crust roller to go over the moldings and make sure they were completely wet out.

K
Keith, did you buy a roll or a pre-cut set? Glad to see this thread since I will need to do it too.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:43 PM   #10
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"
 
GOPAPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nampa Idaho
Posts: 6,456
Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Keith, did you buy a roll or a pre-cut set? Glad to see this thread since I will need to do it too.
I looked the stripping up and seen it was around a $100 and it is already cut in 14 pieces .
If you buy a roll then you will have to buy a special cutting knife that cuts on an angle

As for me I will buy the already cut pieces
__________________
There is no one person on this forum smarter than all of the people on this forum put together
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:43 PM   #11
Keith Seymore
Registered User
 
Keith Seymore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Motor City
Posts: 8,329
Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Keith, did you buy a roll or a pre-cut set? Glad to see this thread since I will need to do it too.
It was pre cut.

I got it from one of the usual suppliers: LMC or Classic or someone like that.

K
__________________
Chevrolet Flint Assembly
1979-1986
GM Full Size Truck Engineering
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 01:13 PM   #12
Jeepwm69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 618
Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

I just wish someone made the High Sierra/ Scottsdale trim.

They made a "sort of" trim, but I got samples and nothing matches the OEM rear corners that are still on my truck.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:55 PM   #13
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"
 
GOPAPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nampa Idaho
Posts: 6,456
Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
I just wish someone made the High Sierra/ Scottsdale trim.

They made a "sort of" trim, but I got samples and nothing matches the OEM rear corners that are still on my truck.
That's not right of any of them ,,I thought LMC made all things for both ,, darn it.

I was wanting to buy the cut already trims for my truck but then noticed that the guy or so before me done away with the side gas tank door openers and put the tank under the rear ,, and so not more doors to use the small rails pieces ,, I would now have to buy a roll and the bevel cutter and do my own,,
__________________
There is no one person on this forum smarter than all of the people on this forum put together

Last edited by GOPAPA; 10-19-2021 at 08:47 PM.
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:49 AM   #14
LT7A
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,157
Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

I'm going to buy a roll and cut it on a chop saw. Cut it face down and go slow and it should come out great.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:51 AM   #15
LT7A
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,157
Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
I just wish someone made the High Sierra/ Scottsdale trim.

They made a "sort of" trim, but I got samples and nothing matches the OEM rear corners that are still on my truck.
That's the textured black, with the chrome plastic strips top and bottom, right? I found that somebody made that 4 years ago or so, but I don't remember who it was. I need that stuff for my other truck, so if you find it, let us know.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:45 AM   #16
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"
 
GOPAPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nampa Idaho
Posts: 6,456
Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
I'm going to buy a roll and cut it on a chop saw. Cut it face down and go slow and it should come out great.
What blade do you use :plywood blade"?
__________________
There is no one person on this forum smarter than all of the people on this forum put together
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:17 PM   #17
wazzabie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WA
Posts: 216
Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

The problem I see with the glued on trim strips is that over time rust happens behind the strips. At least that is what happened to the originals.
wazzabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:36 PM   #18
Jeepwm69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 618
Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
That's the textured black, with the chrome plastic strips top and bottom, right? I found that somebody made that 4 years ago or so, but I don't remember who it was. I need that stuff for my other truck, so if you find it, let us know.
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=583306

I started a thread about it back in the day. Still have trim corners and nothing else on my truck, but I've been focusing (on and off) on the interior lately.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:34 AM   #19
farmall
Registered User
 
farmall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Central OR
Posts: 476
Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzabie View Post
The problem I see with the glued on trim strips is that over time rust happens behind the strips. At least that is what happened to the originals.
All the CL adds I see from the wet side of the Cascades have rust in and around the trim. The moss and lichen starts to grow in there and then its over.

The trim looks great but my K30 will not have trim after getting painted and the Jimmy will get it removed. They are not garage queens.
__________________
1955 GMC 250 8 Flatbed
1971 C30 157" 350 4spd 10' Flatbed
81 GMC K30 CnC 9' Flatbed 454 T400
89 GMC Jimmy Stock https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=810958
71 LT1 Convertible, 72 Coupe
69 CJ5, 75 CJ6, 67 M715, 72 M35A2 Bobbed, 95 XLC2
farmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:21 AM   #20
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"
 
GOPAPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nampa Idaho
Posts: 6,456
Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmall View Post
All the CL adds I see from the wet side of the Cascades have rust in and around the trim. The moss and lichen starts to grow in there and then its over.

The trim looks great but my K30 will not have trim after getting painted and the Jimmy will get it removed. They are not garage queens.
Here in Idaho it is pretty dry climate ,,You are correct about moss and lichen the other side of the Cascades ,,it is not nothing here like where I lived 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean..
__________________
There is no one person on this forum smarter than all of the people on this forum put together
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:03 AM   #21
blazer2007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: vernon b.c.
Posts: 2,825
Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

can you re-glue old strips that are falling or have fallen off ?
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:15 PM   #22
wazzabie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WA
Posts: 216
Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
can you re-glue old strips that are falling or have fallen off ?
mine are so delaminated I would not see how. plus the rust issue they cause. after repaint they are staying off
wazzabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:23 PM   #23
hooverfish
Senior Member
 
hooverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lexington, Ky
Posts: 1,855
Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

I used a utility knife with new blade to cut mine. Used a metal straight edge as a guide, no problem to do angles too.

I would recommend buying the roll of trim instead of precut. You will have plenty left over which is good if you need remove a crooked piece and/or redo a piece.
__________________
Larry
84 Chevy SWB, "Roy", dark blue orig paint, 6 cyl auto, PS, 88,000 miles.
72 Highlander LWB "Olive" med olive over lt yellow, air, 77,000 miles (sold)

Any parts I sell are guaranteed.

"It's a sorry man who can't find his wife a good job"
hooverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #24
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"
 
GOPAPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nampa Idaho
Posts: 6,456
Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverfish View Post
I used a utility knife with new blade to cut mine. Used a metal straight edge as a guide, no problem to do angles too.

I would recommend buying the roll of trim instead of precut. You will have plenty left over which is good if you need remove a crooked piece and/or redo a piece.
Yeah I have to use a roll as precut is when you have gas tank doors and mine are both gone and smoothed over .

They make a special tool for cutting the beveled edges too.. maybe buy one maybe not ??
__________________
There is no one person on this forum smarter than all of the people on this forum put together
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:09 PM   #25
hooverfish
Senior Member
 
hooverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lexington, Ky
Posts: 1,855
Re: I am thinking of adding glue on strips

I dont think you need that tool to cut, trim is cut easily with sharp utility knife.

Check out this video by Kevin Tetz with LMC, it helped me a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffYSF-9dHdo&t=1001s

This install is not that hard, dont be intimidated. Take your time on the first few pieces, you will do just fine.
__________________
Larry
84 Chevy SWB, "Roy", dark blue orig paint, 6 cyl auto, PS, 88,000 miles.
72 Highlander LWB "Olive" med olive over lt yellow, air, 77,000 miles (sold)

Any parts I sell are guaranteed.

"It's a sorry man who can't find his wife a good job"
hooverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2020 67-72chevytrucks.com