The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2020, 09:14 AM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Another rust removing question

So many videos on YouTube with people using large tote tubs and similar to soak their rusty parts in. Some use the ones suspended in the solution powered by batteries, some use solutions purchased at the home improvement stores that they just soak in. I bought some gallon jugs of vinegar at the dollar store and dumped a bunch of nuts and bolts in. Just shook it up now and then. Worked great for the little stuff.

Does anyone here have a serious set up of one kind or another going at home? Id love to see it if you do. I have what I think could be useful parts that need a good soaking of some sort. What system works the quickest?

Now that spring is just around the corner id like to get something going outside my shop in a couple of totes.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:55 AM   #2
Willys_MB

Re: Another rust removing question

How big of parts are we talking here? Home Depot sells "masonry tubs" or something like that. They're big, durable, and CHEAP. I usually use that for larger parts, but if you're thinking about something like a body panel I can't help you with that.

The bins I use are $6 for the one thats 28"x20" and $13 for 2'x3'. They're both about 8" deep, so you can fit most anything in there. I soaked my lower control arms in there to get the gunk off of them before I did anything else.

Links below:
Small
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad-...102C/205451585

Big
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad-...101C/205451550
Old 03-12-2020, 10:04 AM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

No big body parts, things like you are talking about. Those are nice looking tubs. I have a bunch of heavy duty totes Im not using anymore.

Love to see some systems in actual use that board members have.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:27 AM   #4
bubbasimms

I did my core support in a kiddie pool using electrolysis. Worked great.
bubbasimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #5
sick472

Another vote for electrolysis...the parts can't get too big. I did the bedsides to my fleet after slpitting the spot welds. It took a couple weeks using a qualtiy battery charger.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:01 PM   #6
ohboy321

I use reverse electrolysis to clean rust off of antique lanterns. It involves submersing the lantern in a solution of water and something to make it conduct better (washing soda), and then applying a low voltage to setup using a battery charger.

In my picture below you can see that I line the outer edge of the bucket with rebar. These are sacrificial and will rust up during the process. Connect the positive (+) lead to the rebar, and the negative (-) to the part to have rust removed. The lantern "after" picture below took about a week in the tank. That lantern is about 120 years old.

The process works very well. Reverse the leads if you want to make a new part look old.

I saw one guy make a large tank to de-rust a frame.
Attached Images

1967 K10 327 Short Bed Stepside
2008 F350 Power Stroke
2007 BMW X3
2020 BMW 540xi
1995 Harley FLSTC
ohboy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:07 PM   #7
raggedjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohboy321 View Post
I use reverse electrolysis to clean rust off of antique lanterns. It involves submersing the lantern in a solution of water and something to make it conduct better (washing soda), and then applying a low voltage to setup using a battery charger.

In my picture below you can see that I line the outer edge of the bucket with rebar. These are sacrificial and will rust up during the process. Connect the positive (+) lead to the rebar, and the negative (-) to the part to have rust removed. The lantern "after" picture below took about a week in the tank. That lantern is about 120 years old.

The process works very well. Reverse the leads if you want to make a new part look old.

That's impressive! Good job, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:51 PM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:

Ok there ya go. Someone that uses this a lot for his hobby. Have you tried other methods to see if you liked those any better?

Old 03-12-2020, 01:02 PM   #9
Lanman1972

I like it.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:11 PM   #10
Mts67C10K20

I like the electrolysis method over chemical dips
No toxic to get rid of
I think I used borax (check goggle for concentration)
And a 24 v charger..power supply
Good luck
Mts67C10K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:42 PM   #11
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:

I made a temporary tank out of some scrap plywood and some heavy guage plastic to dip a pair of fenders 10-15 years ago. The bigger the part the more power you need or it takes forever.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:10 PM   #12
ohboy321

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Ok there ya go. Someone that uses this a lot for his hobby. Have you tried other methods to see if you liked those any better?
When I first started to collect lanterns I tried a couple of methods I read about on the internet, including molasses. None of those methods take the rust off like reverse electrolysis.

I use swimming pool pH increaser for the sodium carbonate/washing soda. One tablespoon per gallon has been working for me.

The process creates hydrogen gas, so make sure you have good ventilation. I have read that using stainless instead of rebar creates poisonous gasses.

I have used graphite/carbon plates instead of rebar with good results. The plates don't rust like rebar so the water solution stays pretty clean and can go a long time without having to be changed.

1967 K10 327 Short Bed Stepside
2008 F350 Power Stroke
2007 BMW X3
2020 BMW 540xi
1995 Harley FLSTC
ohboy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:34 PM   #13
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

There is a cat in Australia on Youtube using huge vats of molasses to remove rust from metal parts. It's main downfall, is that it takes a very long time. But it's effective.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:18 PM   #14
un4gvn!

I started using Eastwood Rust Dissolver. I started with just a gallon to test it out. I soaked a very rusty brake bracket over night. The next day, I took it out and rinsed with just water. It looked like it was brand new. What's nice about it is it's water soluble and no toxic fumes. The bad part is that it's not cheap.
un4gvn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:28 PM   #15
72c20customcamper

I use the electrolysis method on most parts and I use the same method to etch blades . Axe I made last week . But used salt and water and you reverse the polarity positive to blade negative to the sacraficiat rod causing the blade to etch.
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:49 PM   #16
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
When I first started to collect lanterns I tried a couple of methods I read about on the internet, including molasses. None of those methods take the rust off like reverse electrolysis.

I use swimming pool pH increaser for the sodium carbonate/washing soda. One tablespoon per gallon has been working for me.

The process creates hydrogen gas, so make sure you have good ventilation. I have read that using stainless instead of rebar creates poisonous gasses.

I have used graphite/carbon plates instead of rebar with good results. The plates don't rust like rebar so the water solution stays pretty clean and can go a long time without having to be changed.
Stainless is iron, chromium and nickel. I suspect that the person telling you this had used some galvanized iron, which could present a problem from zinc content, if it bubbled out as zinc hydride. I know people who have died from zinc fumes from either burning the metal off to weld it, or not bothering to burn it off first. I realize that welding is different from an electrolytic bath, but the threat could still be there.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:54 PM   #17
franken

I've used molasses in 5 gallon buckets to giant garbage cans. It's cheap but not fast. I used to get it from the feed store in 5 gallon jugs. I did some steel wheels as well as smaller stuff this way.
I've also used phosphoric acid (concrete etch or cleaner) from the home store diluted for smaller stuff. Somewhat strong it works overnight.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:52 AM   #18
toolboxchev

Post up them pics! Killing Rust is THE thing to do!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 02:51 PM   #19
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I think I'm going to go ahead and give this a shot, reverse electrolysis. What is recommended for a battery charger? Can I use one from Harbor Freight (Ill wipe it down for the Corona virus)? I don't have a problem spending more money on a better version as long as its going to do the job just that much better.

I have a couple of sets of clutch/brake pedals that are kinda gnarly looking. They would be a great test.

Old 03-13-2020, 02:56 PM   #20
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Quote:

Interesting stuff, I was looking for ways to clean small items without sand blasting.

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 03:29 PM   #21
sick472

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I think I'm going to go ahead and give this a shot, reverse electrolysis. What is recommended for a battery charger?
Any charger will work up to a point. Don't try using a battery tender, but an actual charger. The biggest concern is how long it takes. I made a tank big enough to do bedsides (one at a time) and used, what I would call a heavy duty farm charger...(Schumacher 200/40/6A Farm & Ranch Battery Charger) and it took a couple weeks to get the job done set on the highest 12 volt charge setting (not the engine start setting - that would not be good I don't think). It took that long due to the size of the parts and the amount of water involved. I have used it for smaller containers and it cuts the time down considerably.

For 5 gallon bucket jobs...a more affordable charger would work just fine.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
Old 03-13-2020, 03:37 PM   #22
toolboxchev

Thinking about doing this. Would anyone know if you need more amps or higher voltages for doing this?
Old 03-13-2020, 03:40 PM   #23
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
I use the electrolysis method on most parts and I use the same method to etch blades . Axe I made last week . But used salt and water and you reverse the polarity positive to blade negative to the sacraficiat rod causing the blade to etch.
I know someone doing knives, I have been over at his shop from time to time. Looking forward to making a knife this weekend out of bearing races, 52100, high chromium content.

How does this compare instead of using ferric chloride? I know the ferric chloride is fairly quick, but unknown how the durability compares.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:31 PM   #24
landarts
landarts

I went to Home Depot and purchased a large 55 gallon storage tub to use as a rust removal container that has a lid. Then I ordered a small container of Oaxlic acid from Amazon. Here is the link on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/FDC-Ethanedio.../dp/B01IPL7MZ6

I added half a cup of the acid to the water I put in the tub and stirred it up until it dissolved. I put in a few parts like the bench seat mounting brackets that bolt to the bottom of the frame and bolt the seat to the floor. I left them in there for a couple of days and when I took them out the rust was all gone. I read about this technique where bicycle collectors were buying old bikes that were completely rusted and taking the bike apart and using Oaxlic acid. It was amazing how all the rust went away and the paint and stickers on the bike were still there.
Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 04:34 PM   #25
sick472

Here's one of the better write-ups on removing rust with elecrolysis...

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

Simple and to the point with some added detail.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20