The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2021, 02:25 PM   #26
Six862m6

Re: '67 - '68 Repro/Aftermarket Cab Floor Carpet Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
Interesting. Where is that hole located on your truck? Do you by any chance have a photo of its location?
Actually, I take that back. I checked back in my history and found where I was asking about the factory firewall holes/grommets and I do have a picture. The wire marked with "WTH?" Turned out to be what I was pretty positive was the original kickdown wire.

You were on this thread as well....
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=825672

Don't worry..... my firewall/wiring doesn't look ANYTHING like what is seen in those pictures now! HA!
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2021, 02:28 PM   #27
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six862m6 View Post
You were on this thread as well....
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=825672
Ha, indeed! I totally forgot about that. Thanks!
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 02:44 PM   #28
pjmoreland

While we are on the subject of 1968 firewall holes, is there any evidence of the original location of the firewall-to-engine grounding strap(s) on your truck?
Old 12-07-2021, 03:02 PM   #29
Six862m6

Quote:
While we are on the subject of 1968 firewall holes, is there any evidence of the original location of the firewall-to-engine grounding strap(s) on your truck?
Not much. If you check the picture out that I've attached (this is from a good many years ago at this point) you will see a single flat braided ground strap. I couldn't tell you if this were original or not but it's about as close as my truck got.

I completely redid the grounds when I changed out those wire harnesses. It's obvious they're not stock but I know they'll do the job now.
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2021, 03:30 PM   #30
pjmoreland

Interesting. That is in a similar location as a 67 I saw in a wrecking yard a few months ago that had a small block V8 originally. My 68 came with a small block V8, but it has no hole in the firewall in that area. The only unused hole I could find was in the concave area directly behind the engine, which I believe was where the grounding strap went on inline 6 trucks. The second digit of my VIN is an "E", my VIN plate still has the original rivets, and the VIN stamped in my frame matches the VIN plate.

Sorry about hijacking your thread. I'm done. Back to the regularly scheduled programming...
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2021, 07:42 AM   #31
Six862m6

Quote:
Interesting. That is in a similar location as a 67 I saw in a wrecking yard a few months ago that had a small block V8 originally. My 68 came with a small block V8, but it has no hole in the firewall in that area. The only unused hole I could find was in the concave area directly behind the engine, which I believe was where the grounding strap went on inline 6 trucks. The second digit of my VIN is an "E", my VIN plate still has the original rivets, and the VIN stamped in my frame matches the VIN plate.

Sorry about hijacking your thread. I'm done. Back to the regularly scheduled programming...
Ah, don't worry about the hi-jacking, I think I mostly have my answer for this thread anyway at this point. Apparently my truck has a high hump and I didn't realize this when I redid the interior (hence, I bought a low hump carpet, which is another reason it doesn't seem to fit as well as it should). I found the new carpet I want to purchase soon and will do so. I think it's made by ACC (not direct from their website but I'm pretty sure that's who makes it) and should fit proper given I will order the high hump version and C10 Driver's seems to be cut different than my current and completely avoid the parking brake cable.

That being said, how can you tell the original rivets on the VIN plate and where do you find the VIN stamped on the frame?
Old 12-08-2021, 11:05 AM   #32
geunther

Quote:
That being said, how can you tell the original rivets on the VIN plate and where do you find the VIN stamped on the frame?
Original rivets should have on the door jamb plate should have a cloverleaf shaped outline, vs round. Though there are reproductions.

Partial VIN is stamped on top of the frame rail. One on driver's side, next to the engine, near where the steering shaft traverses and just aft of the rag joint. Another is on top of drivers frame rail, under the cab. At least on 72s.
geunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:15 AM   #33
Six862m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by geunther View Post
Original rivets should have on the door jamb plate should have a cloverleaf shaped outline, vs round. Though there are reproductions.

Partial VIN is stamped on top of the frame rail. One on driver's side, next to the engine, near where the steering shaft traverses and just aft of the rag joint. Another is on top of drivers frame rail, under the cab. At least on 72s.
Thank you!

Any chance you (or anyone else) has a picture of the cloverleaf shaped rivets?
Old 12-09-2021, 11:20 AM   #34
pjmoreland

Rosette rivets
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2021, 12:26 PM   #35
Six862m6

Quote:
Rosette rivets
Thanks! I'll take a look at that on my truck this evening. That and see if I can maybe find the partial VIN that is near the steering column.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:00 AM   #36
Six862m6

Quote:
Rosette rivets
Well, it looks to me that I do have the original Rosette style rivets.

That being said, I scraped and cleaned the area that I believe I was told would have the partial VIN on the frame but I couldn't find a trace of anything engraved in it......
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2021, 08:15 AM   #37
A1971Blazer

the stamping on mine starts slightly forward of that notch in the frame
mine is a 67....clearly has a 69 frame.....
Name:  IMG_1260.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  88.6 KB
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:35 AM   #38
Six862m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
the stamping on mine starts slightly forward of that notch in the frame
mine is a 67....clearly has a 69 frame.....
Attachment 2151051
You can see that area in mine and it's just not there.... doesn't look like it was ever grinded or anything either.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:08 AM   #39
A1971Blazer

Quote:
You can see that area in mine and it's just not there.... doesn't look like it was ever grinded or anything either.
I saw that....one must remember that the manufacturing process was much different 50 years ago...

I see posts where owners are trying to figure out if or why their truck has certain attributes that may, or may not, exist on others from the same era.

I think the simple fact is, at that time, GM was interested mainly in manufacturing units as fast as possible, getting them to the dealers, and getting them sold.

Also the trucks were built at several different locations across the country from parts that were available and on hand at each location on the day of manufacture.

To me, trying to decode or make logical sense, in regards to the history of these old trucks, is an exercise in futility....(but it is interesting fodder for conversation)

just my opinion...carry on....

let's see the carpet when you get it in.....

My Blazer carpet from Stock Interiors....it fit nicely
Name:  IMG_1215.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  51.1 KB
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 09:15 AM   #40
Six862m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
I saw that....one must remember that the manufacturing process was much different 50 years ago...

I see posts where owners are trying to figure out if or why their truck has certain attributes that may, or may not, exist on others from the same era.

I think the simple fact is, at that time, GM was interested mainly in manufacturing units as fast as possible, getting them to the dealers, and getting them sold.

Also the trucks were built at several different locations across the country from parts that were available and on hand at each location on the day of manufacture.

To me, trying to decode or make logical sense, in regards to the history of these old trucks, is an exercise in futility....(but it is interesting fodder for conversation)

just my opinion...carry on....

let's see the carpet when you get it in.....

My Blazer carpet from Stock Interiors....it fit nicely
Attachment 2151056
Yea, I'm not going to be too crushed or anything if I can't find it (which looks like I won't). Is more of a curiosity thing for me. My truck is certainly no original masterpiece. Mostly curious if the cab and frame are still the same or not. Meh.

As for the carpet, I will post it when I get it done but it probably won't be until spring. I currently have a new radio ordered but it has a 16 week (!!!) lead time..... I'm all of about 4 or 5 weeks down. Until I get it in, I'm not reinstalling the gauge panel and until the gauge panel is reinstalled, I'm not moving the truck unless its a major emergency (like garage is on fire) because my oil pressure line isn't connected to anything. So once it gets in and I get that all put back, I'll be able to back the truck out of the garage and pull the seat out.

Yours is looking good!
Old 12-10-2021, 02:32 PM   #41
pjmoreland

I wonder if they stamped GMC frames in a different spot. My 68 Chevy frame has the VIN stamped in exactly the same spot as A1971Blazer.
Old 12-10-2021, 02:38 PM   #42
pjmoreland

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=737808
Old 12-10-2021, 03:07 PM   #43
Six862m6

Quote:
Huh, looks like the GMCs DON'T have the VIN stamped on the frame.... weird! Points also to that the cab and frame are probably original.

Thanks!