The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2022, 02:32 AM   #201
Richard

Re: Restomod 72 K10 "Good Memories"

Removed core support yesterday and welded up all the holes that were made through the years. Worked at body shop again today. Took it with me to complete the repairs. A lot to do so I did not get to it. Going in again tomorrow. My tubing should show up Friday so I can finish the shock hoops next week. Took a pic without the core support in for a friend. Attached it. Never tire of looking at that motor.
Attached Images

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:59 AM   #202
Detroit steel

Re: Restomod "good memories"

thats an awsome truck and i can tell by your knowledge its going to be a beautiful truck when its finished , i will be following this build . good luck and let the good times roll.
Detroit steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 10:25 PM   #203
A.Delaney

This is an inspiring build to say the least. I love it. Maybe I missed it somewhere but who makes the custom Dana 60 front end?
Old 04-08-2022, 02:47 AM   #204
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit steel View Post
thats an awsome truck and i can tell by your knowledge its going to be a beautiful truck when its finished , i will be following this build . good luck and let the good times roll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Delaney View Post
This is an inspiring build to say the least. I love it. Maybe I missed it somewhere but who makes the custom Dana 60 front end?
Thank you both for the posts. Will continue building the truck I would have done 25 years ago + the added upgrades technology provides. I am having a good time doing this. I surprise myself and most that have come by all the time with what I have done. Just takes time and dedication to get things done. Another thing I learned from my Dad.

The axle is from East Coast Gear. Was significantly less expensive than Currie or DynaTrac who both did not seem to want my money. Think they just want to build Jeep axles.
Bult to my specs- passenger drop, stock width, high steer and high pinion. A little disappointed pinion is not turned up as much as wanted for my CV joint on front drive shaft. They built with 12 degrees of separation (from knuckle to pinion) and I wanted about 16. Called and the owner was willing to take axle back on his dime. Did not want the hassle. May have some vibration at high speed in 4wd. Honestly, it will not be used much in that situation. I will cut and turn the knuckles if it is a problem.

Busy day at body shop again. Lots of stuff to do. Really love the gift of working there.
Today presented a challenge on an electrical part in a door. All repaired and working as it was my own. Did manage to get core support almost ready for paint. Always learning, Brad is still sharing his knowledge and wisdom with me. The best way I learn, invaluable. Will bring core support home tomorrow.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:49 AM   #205
mr.mud1

more great work Richard,it's looking real good.take care.Greg
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 02:19 AM   #206
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mud1 View Post
more great work Richard,it's looking real good.take care.Greg
Thank you. Core support came home today with me. Ready for install. Some pics later. When I arrived home sitting on the door step was my tube and the locker for the rear axle. Have been ordering some necessary parts again, will be a while until I get to this but I am so unsure about availability that I am trying to keep on top of things. The rear 5.13 gears and master install kit should be here next week along with the new 1410 yokes and flanges for t-case and diff. Had to get parts from two different places. Pic of a box, tube is less interesting than the box.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2022, 03:41 AM   #207
Richard

Worked all last week and probably most of this one. Enjoying the work. Getting the 56 F100 at the shop back together after months. Hope to finish up on Wednesday. Seeing a project come together after putting work into it is very satisfying for me. A 98 Chevy truck is also keeping me busy stripping paint to bare metal for a complete repaint. Typical Chevy clear coat fail wherever the sun hits it.

Not a lot to see on the 72. Put the cleaned up core support on the truck because it was the best place to store it. Not perfect but looks pretty good! Still need to make modifications for fresh air intake. Want to wait for that. Also shot some paint on the PSC steering box, did not care for the silver color. Masked off the caps that will not rust for a little contrast. Farming out some work this week since I am working again. Will drop off parts tomorrow. A simple pic to see.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2022, 02:11 AM   #208
Richard

My Radiator fan and shroud showed up today. It is an 850 watt 19" pwm fan and shroud assembly made to fit 64-67 Chevelle's. Their Square body assembly was to far off. Purchased through Summit from Vintage Air. Checked the fit. It is low profile but still spaces fan away from rad for better airflow. Fit was as expected and I started the modifications today. Nothing like the thrill of chopping up a brand new part, more fun making stuff work.
The motor and fan are branded Spal. FWIU the 850w motor and 19" fan are OEM parts. To be sold aftermarket they have to be application specific. Motor and fan not available separately.
Fan should move some air! 100a fuse for the power. Should only be running at 30% or less most of the time.
Plan A is to control fan from ECU. Think I have it figured out. Have a plan B if it does not work out.
Hope to mostly finish up with mods tomorrow.
Attached Images

Last edited by Richard; 04-27-2022 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:45 PM   #209
Richard

I modified the mounting plate that goes in-between shroud and radiator for a cleaner air path and to make a complete seal to radiator. Moved the upper bar up about 1/2" and also opened up the top/bottom bulges as they did not need to be closed up as much as they were. About 1/2" was removed from the side vertical pieces. More free area will allow more airflow.

Original plan was to move both top and bottom bars and cut shroud. Decided the amount of work vs gain would not be worth it. Plus, getting the patched shroud to look as nice as it is now would be pretty difficult.

An interesting thing I noticed today when reassembling the fan. The fan blades have a reverse sweep. Meaning the outer forward swept edge of fan points into the direction of rotation not away like a traditional blade. Have seen this used on high end A/C units installed in the past. The design is supposed to reduce air noise generated by the fan.
Attached Images

Last edited by Richard; 04-27-2022 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-28-2022, 01:02 AM   #210
Richard

Was able to get the left hand hoop brace fabbed and fitted today as well as the landing point on frame for right hand side. Should get RH fabbed up tomorrow and both braces tacked. Then I can start on the brace over engine.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2022, 01:38 AM   #211
Richard

Got the fan mounted to radiator. Plenty of room for intake tube, rad hose and airflow. Even with the Gilmer drive in front of engine. Like the simplicity of a single fan and the pwm drive. Worked out nice.
The right side hoop brace is also fabbed up and fitted. Still have not tacked up as I am still figuring out things for shock mount tabs and hoop over engine brace. It may be a bit before next update so here is a couple of pics.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2022, 02:06 AM   #212
Richard

Discovered the crossbar tube sent with the ORD kit is too short to accomplish what I want to do. Had to order more. Shipping has become totally ridiculous. Found a local supplier that delivered with total cost 1/3rd of all the online places. Prefer local anyway. Will pick up my tube at the body shop tomorrow.

The intake tube and filter arrived. I did some cutting and trimming for an initial mockup. Tube will be welded where it is taped together. An air box will occupy the area in front of left fender well. Will draw air from behind the grill. Think it looks good!

KC does not have any interest in what I do, just chillin on the porch.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2022, 01:40 AM   #213
Richard

A bit more done today. Upper shock mounts are sorted, tacked and finalized. Will bridge the shock mount tabs to the center down tube when hoops are removed and fully welded. Crossbar next week.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2022, 09:37 AM   #214
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Nice work, but, the cat made me laugh!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 12:39 AM   #215
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Nice work, but, the cat made me laugh!
Thanks for the comment! KC is a character, she makes me laugh as well. Originally a stray that came by to eat as long as 7 years ago. I am a sucker for strays. About 3 years ago she adopted us and became part of the family. Still an outside cat but is content sleeping and staying out of the weather in my "man cave" now.

Forgot to say- pretty happy that Brian @ American Off Road was willing to bend up my tubes for the strut brace today on the spot. While my HF bender works his hydraulic bender just make awesome bends. Brian's input for my project has been very helpful. His enthusiasm to be involved in the project is an awesome motivator. He is the one that pushed me to go with the coilover modification. Hoping to get on the brace tomorrow or Monday at the latest.

Last edited by Richard; 05-14-2022 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Added
Old 05-14-2022, 06:16 AM   #216
72 tigger

More great work- very professional looking. Enjoy following along
Kirk
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 01:53 AM   #217
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 tigger View Post
More great work- very professional looking. Enjoy following along
Thank you the supportive comment. Hit 104 today so I decided to spend time with my wife and Mother in law. Excited to finish things up on the front suspension now that I have the parts. Will get on it Monday regardless of circumstances.
Old 05-15-2022, 07:47 AM   #218
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Thank you the supportive comment. Hit 104 today so I decided to spend time with my wife and Mother in law. Excited to finish things up on the front suspension now that I have the parts. Will get on it Monday regardless of circumstances.
great work Richard,i'm following along.an awesome truck your building.all the best.Greg.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:56 AM   #219
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mud1 View Post
great work Richard,i'm following along.an awesome truck your building.all the best.Greg.
Thank you again. Cannot wait to see your truck back from paint!

Thought I might document the making of the strut brace more than I have other parts. Had two pieces of pipe bent up with 65 degree bends at both ends. The angle was determined with a digital sliding T-bevel. Cut the bends off with pipe to spare. Final cut length is trial fit for me. 1.5" tube just fits inside of the 1 3/4" tube. Pieces of the smaller 1.5" tube are cut to sleeve inside of larger tube. Holes are drilled in outside tube for plug welds to add strength. The butt joints are beveled and will be welded. Once I get this together there is still plenty of cutting and fitting to get it in place.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2022, 11:15 PM   #220
Richard

Brace is put together and cleaned up. Some trimming was done for an initial fit. The cope or notch is done with my 4.5" grinder using cutoff, grinding and flap wheels. Due to the center downbar on the hoops I do not have room to use the tube disconnects on the brace. Thought I may run into this so I purchased some mounting plates a while back. Will see soon what I am doing with them.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2022, 05:21 AM   #221
Hatzman

Awesome work and progress on this truck! Mine is taking much longer and isn't as spiffy as yours. That color blue really pops, great choice!

Where did you order the air intake tube from?

Following!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=618848
Hatzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:28 AM   #222
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatzman View Post
Awesome work and progress on this truck! Mine is taking much longer and isn't as spiffy as yours. That color blue really pops, great choice!

Where did you order the air intake tube from?

Following!
Thank you for the kudos and taking the time to comment! Checked out your thread and subscribed. Looks like you are making good progress.
Forgot to answer your question- the intake tube pieces were obtained through Summit and are made by Spectre. The filter is a non oil type unit I obtained on Ebay.

Last edited by Richard; 05-23-2022 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Added
Old 05-30-2022, 02:36 AM   #223
Richard

Heard the old saying "you know you are getting old when your back goes out more than you do?" My lower back was toast for a while. Back not really a problem in the past. Got out of bed one day and could barely move. All good now.
Worked at body shop at end of week and was able to get to the Dapper headlights that arrived fitted. They are the V2's with the larger 64mm projector. Got the classic style lenses and inner halo on them, also got HID bulbs and ballasts. Maybe not appeal to some but will be great for nighttime driving. Stock headlights are like holding a match in front of a pie tin. The sealed beam upgrades are not much better IMO.
Purchased a pair of reproduction buckets to modify in case it did not work out. New lights now fit fine in the buckets and stock radiator support. Cut off back off buckets and reshaped to allow headlight to fit.
Included some pics to show what I did. Took some time for the cutting and stretching of metal on the buckets.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2022, 01:31 PM   #224
NDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Received the new oil pan. Good price and great service from Summit again! Free shipping and got it in less than two days. Supposed to receive 7 boxes full of front suspension components tomorrow, will see as UPS has been somewhat unreliable lately.
As you can see motor is set in place! Moved crossmember forward for first fit. Have plenty of room to slide it back 1". Headers fit well. Very minor clearancing on frame rails was needed. Passenger side header would need reworking if I was using the leafs as it barely interferes with the shackle.
Had to throw the engine cover on to see what it looks like in truck. Passenger pic shows clearance to firewall. I was thinking I would need to modify firewall due to others saying my headers hit.
For those that are interested. Last pic shows PacFab crossmember clearance to diff at stock ride height with stock springs. Think it sits about 1/2" higher due to the aluminum block though. Guessing stock springs have sagged bit. For me this issue has no bearing at all. Easy to see why they recommend a 2" lift. Lowering bump stops would be necessary as well.
Test fit the new master and adjustable proportioning valve as well. Blew something out in my knee today and it is as big as my thigh. May be a few days before I get the trans mount done start the trans mods.
May I ask which oil pan and headers that you used in the photos (part numbers from summit). I am planning my 72 LS swap with a l96 and 2wd 6l90e. My other swapped vehicle (76 Buick Regal) had major fitment issues for the headers, It looks like yours are perfect fit.
NDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 06:34 PM   #225
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Looking awesome Richard! This truck is gonna be real cool when it’s done! Nice fab work.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote