The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2022, 04:47 PM   #1
gschroeder

Brake Fluid Leak

I have a 1970 CST10 with factory power brakes. Just finished the restoration, and noticed there is a small amount of brake fluid leaking between the master cylinder and brake booster. Fluid appears to be coming out of the bottom of the master cylinder and running down the brake booster. No fluid is leaking from the master cylinder cap. Brake seem to work fine except for this small leak between the master cylinder and brake booster. Do I need to replace the master cylinder, or both the master cylinder and brake booster? I see rock auto offers a master cylinder rebuild kit, but it cost almost as much as a brand new master cylinder. Thank you for your help.
gschroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:44 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Brake Fluid Leak

The master is toast. You can rebuild it, but if it is too pitted, you'll need to replace it anyway. You'd have to look into the booster to see if it is OK, but you can buy the assembly reasonably priced.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:27 PM   #3
Caddylackn

The master cylinder piston seal is done, and/or the bore is pitted. It is getting really hard to find rebuild kits for master cylinders. I would buy a rebuilt one, but don't trade your original in for a core until you get the new one working.

Brake fluid absorbs water from the air and since the brake booster is not sealed the brake fluid and moisture in the air will soon rust out your brake booster inside walls so replace this asap and flush out the existing brake fluid out of your booster.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:52 AM   #4
jaros44sr

I have anew, booster sitting here, if you need 1, you pay shipping, I'll post up picks

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote