The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2022, 08:56 PM   #1
handyhands

first start

hey all. I am going to check fuel pump and lines tomorrow. motor has not ran for five years. what should I do before trying to start the motor?
handyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 04:53 PM   #2
bigmoe

Re: first start

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyhands View Post
hey all. I am going to check fuel pump and lines tomorrow. motor has not ran for five years. what should I do before trying to start the motor?
I was in the same boat with my first start. I pulled the fuel rails off. They were full of stale gas. Then I decided to go with new fuel injectors and not chance the old ones being fouled.
bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 04:53 PM   #3
LS short box

I pull the fuel pump relay fuse and crank the engine until I see oil pressure. Some use a pre-oiler to prime the oil pump.
Then I plug in the fuse and turn the key just to on and listen fuel for the fuel pump turn on for a few seconds and then turn off.
I typically don't put water in the radiator on first start in case I have an issue.
Then I just start it. If you have everything in order you will be shocked at how quickly it will start.
Look for fuel/oil leaks. Run for 10-15 seconds and then shut it off. If everything is good add coolant. Make sure you don't have any air trapped in the engine.
Good luck.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 10:58 AM   #4
Davidf

Pull the oil galley plug and pressurize the oil system until you see oil at rockers before cranking.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 11:36 AM   #5
Accelo

The schrader valve at the end of the fuel rail can be depressed with a plastic bag over it.
When the fuel pump runs (for 3 seconds with key on no start) you can get the air out and any old fuel. The bad news is this typically only clears one fuel rail.

I just pulled the coil power plugs on each side of the motor and cranked it till I saw oil pressure on the gauge.

Always fun to have an engine start. The FI engines typically start right up no mater how long they have sat.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 12:59 PM   #6
bigmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
Pull the oil galley plug and pressurize the oil system until you see oil at rockers before cranking.
My buddy did this. He used the port above the oil filter and pumped in 5 qts of oil using a inexpensive weed sprayer. You can buy a new cover with a port on it to replace the factory one above the oil filter. Plug it when done.
bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote