The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2022, 12:26 AM   #26
67 twins

Re: Restoration insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
Make sure you can register it in your respective state BEFORE you invest any money in it.

I see a lot of basket cases getting brought into California. Swapping cab and frame can get you into a pickle with a VIN officer if they care about continuity; mine did.
I think this might be the best piece of advice in this whole thread. If you can't title it all you have is a pile of parts, I don't care how complete it may be.
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 02:04 AM   #27
Richard

My main objective has been to not stray to far from the original view. I broke this rule when I changed to an LS motor and front coilover suspension. Cost more time and money. No more big changes for me. Once I committed to the changes I ordered all the parts. Thankful I did this before the shutdown. Have many parts in hand now that I would be waiting months for if I ordered today. The registration is a big deal. Had to jump through some hoops to get my truck legal here after sitting for many years. Even though I thought it was on non op, California made it tough to get new tags. AAA was my saving grace. They helped a lot.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 02:13 AM   #28
Accelo

I am retired and it took me 27 months to complete a truck. Well if you call it complete, lets just say "running and driving." I have a full machine shop and the tools to do most anything but paint and body work. I have a lot of resources outside my shop, like the right guys to go to to get a quality job done without getting taken in the process. After it was "Running and driving" it cost another $550 dollars for a dyno tune. Could have mail ordered it. However, this tune if for my combination and my truck. Runs like it should now it was untenable before the tune. I kept receipts but never added them up. If I was to sell the truck I likely wouldn't be upside down. However, it I counted my labor it would have to sell for six figures and I would still be working for $5 and hour. I can call it my truck my way with my colors and amenities. I don't know of another that has a powder coated 4L60E!
Likely the truck will go to my Grandson. I can't put a price on that?
Daily driver in the background. Guess I like them short!
Cheers.
Attached Images

Last edited by Accelo; 05-19-2022 at 02:20 AM.
Accelo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:32 AM   #29
special-K
Special Order

I just do it, no real thought required. It's just what I do. I've always done it even when I had no one to share in my interest, like here. I don't care about time. This isn't a reality show. I don't mind projects sitting or buildings full of parts. That's how my life has always been, it's all I know. I have a built engine sitting, so what? It's ready to go. For me it's about the process as much as the result, It's not a chore, I enjoy it. If you see me selling an incomplete project it's because I have become physically unable to complete it. I know if I buy parts that I don't end up using I can always sell them later, probably for more than I paid. I enjoy buying parts, the chase is part of the fun. I prefer OEM parts, for whatever reasons. I'd rather repair/restore an OEM part than buy reproduction parts, it's just my preference. Actually, I restore and sell many parts. That's what I do to stay involved when I'm unable to progress on my complete truck projects. I enjoy selling parts at swap meets. It's not just for money. It's about helping others complete their project and the social aspect.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 05-19-2022 at 07:43 AM.
special-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:42 AM   #30
67C10Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsoffrock View Post
Be ok with rust. Just drive it as is.
This is where I am right now with my truck. The engineer in me wouldn't not let me keep a spreadsheet on what I have in the truck. While I didn't go top end on it, I didn't go on the cheap either. Right now I am close to having a very solid driver and that is what I want. Sure, I'd love to have a paint job so slick a gnat couldn't land on it but not at the expense of being able to enjoy it.

I figure I could sell mine for what I have in it or a bit more - minus labor of course. But, this is a hobby of mine. Nobody expects the guy with an $80,000 bass boat to make a profit on his hobby so I don't expect to on mine either. Doing everything myself it took longer than I expected but, as I mentioned before, scope creep got me. I ended up rebuilding the entire suspension and steering, converting to power disc brakes up front, buying a entire new bed box and wood, etc. At times it sat for a good bit waiting on me to get back around to it and at times I thought I'd bitten off more than I needed but in the end I am pleased. Still needs some things finished and tweaks to what I have done but you can start it up and drive it now after it being off the road a total of 15-16 years.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:29 AM   #31
special-K
Special Order

I never expected a hobby to pay for itself. Never a spread sheet here. My involvement with these trucks has been about finding and keeping rust free trucks, and now repairing it. But my '72 K2500 has had rusted outer rockers for over 10 years. I have yet to restore it and that rust has had no affect on my enjoyment of the truck.

On my '67 (forever) built from scratch project I am mostly stalled over doing proper body/paint work. I pretty much have everything I need to complete it once that is done. This project exists because of all the parts I had accumulated, enough to build a truck. The cab I originally bought for another truck in the '90s, that I sold in '04. I still have another cab to build another truck one day. On my drivable trucks I attack mechanicals first, them make it pretty. I guess what we now call patina trucks has been my thing for years. Chrome won't get you home. I enjoy my aged looking trucks just fine. When it comes to what really counts, they always run tip-top. I just want to have a 2wd shortbed hot rod to drive. I am getting older and looking to enjoy what I own, so considering putting it together as a forever project. I like red oxide primer and hot Rod Flatz has that color. It's not expensive, looks like primer, but is actual paint. I drove a red oxide primered car throughout HS. Once I worked a couple years after HS I painted it. I can always paint the truck later. I know it's not the easiest or best way. What I am thinking is have a small amount of my desired end color mixed and cut in all my parts before assembly and finish paint the interior. All my sheet metal is OEM rust free. I'll just paint those parts with their dings red oxide. I can always fix those spots here and there and hit with the paint. The vibe will be a rolling project, just like back in the day before we were doing frame-offs on these trucks, when we were happy with that and enjoyed them just fine

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:50 AM   #32
tutone

At one time years ago, once I got one up on it's feet, I adopted a "two week" rule. I had a young family at the time with lots of running. I woul adhere to it by not keeping the vehicle down for more than two weeks for any work or modification. It works surprisingly well, but a frame off or total rebuild is out of the question.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:34 AM   #33
jumpsoffrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
At one time years ago, once I got one up on it's feet, I adopted a "two week" rule. I had a young family at the time with lots of running. I woul adhere to it by not keeping the vehicle down for more than two weeks for any work or modification. It works surprisingly well, but a frame off or total rebuild is out of the question.
I don't have any kids yet but that will probably change within two years or so. And I always considered that to be the end of all my hobbies.

However I think if I "KISS" I should be able to have a couple cars and kids too. What I can't stand is the thought of my kids growing up with all my sh!t on jackstands, versus riding down the road or going to school in them.

Even if they look rough, at least we can all enjoy them--and this mentality should help keep restorations realistic and projects enjoyable.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 12:13 PM   #34
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuccales View Post
Great picture.
Proud of him.
Self taught tig welder makes fixing these old trucks easier.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2022, 02:59 PM   #35
72c20customcamper

My LB build (low budget) I thought I would have to redo the whole truck ran like crap and had a repaint . Very carefully got the repaint off and almost absolutely no body work . Got it running new carb points and a general tune up went through the brakes . Only major thing I’ve done is rebuild the rear . Still has manual drums all around . I’ve been driving it for a few weeks now and it runs better every day just took the picture at the store. Big ol tree in the way
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 03:31 PM   #36
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post

1) Buying glue on door seal sets (vs push on). When you include the cost of glue, they are within $5 of each other. At least 80% of folks can't successfully glue them to the cab anyway.
Glue-on seals are a PITA, and they WILL come loose.

Best push-on seals I ever used are Precision Replacement Parts DWP 1112 67. $45 for the pair.https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pqp-dwp-1112-67
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:54 PM   #37
Caddylackn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
This two week rule is a must unless you already plan on a full restoration, have the shop space, have the skills, have the tools, have the time.

This is why you need a two week rule:

There is a rabbit hole too many fall into. Here is a typical story of a very long prolonged or failed project:

1.They start doing one repair or one rust fix, the next thing they know, the truck is all apart and a full restoration is going on. They work diligently for weeks and months, then realize:
2. They do not have the space, skill, money, time, or tools to complete this huge task. Often all the above.
3. They soon burn out when they hit a critical path, where they have no time, funds, or skill to complete one big task to continue get the project driving again.
4. The burn out becomes an unwilling eyesore and now becomes a psychological hurdle they have to cross and it becomes overwhelming. What was once a task that had to be done next, now is an overwhelming giant hurdle. You take a break.....
5. The project sits for an extended time and becomes a burden just to get started again.
6. Often this drags on for years. Some parts get lost or forgotten where they went. Rising prices make it hard to purchase what you need. The vehicle gets buried in the garage. Now you need 4 hours of cleaning the garage done just to start working on the vehicle. This becomes an excuse.
7. When you do work on it, it often is small piece meal tasks and not on the big critical task that has preventing you from finishing.
8. You get sick of looking at the project as it only reminds you of your failure to complete it or your lack of skills, or the mistakes you already made.
9. You no longer have a recollection of good times with the vehicle, you only connection now is negative. The project is officially stalled.
Time Flies:
10. Then only four things can happen:
1. You get rid of it. Either piecemeal or all at once. usually at the result of a divorce.
2. You find a way to get motivated to work on it again. Maybe you finish, maybe you stall at the next critical path.
3. You finish the car, either by cutting corners, or spending some dough.
4. The car sits in your garage, barn, or shed unfinished until you die, or they take you away. Your widow or kids get it and post
it up on FB Marketplace or craigslist. The poor potential buyers hound your loved ones with questions like: Do you
know where all the pieces are? title? Can you look for the missing hubcap? Can you please look for the tailgate?
Are you sure you didn't see the cam card laying around? It looks like this.....
Old 05-19-2022, 08:55 PM   #38
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddylackn View Post
This two week rule is a must unless you already plan on a full restoration, have the shop space, have the skills, have the tools, have the time.

I try to do one project at a time which let's me get the truck back on the road in a week or two. In fact, I sometimes miss opportunities to work on or replace Part B when Assembly A is torn apart.

That, plus I have never bought an old car or truck that didn't run and drive. Probably because I know my limits!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
Old 05-19-2022, 09:17 PM   #39
JJH Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I made the mistake one time of mentioning to my wife how much my GTO might be worth.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...-still-family/

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9990396621018

Now I catch her giving it the side-eye when she thinks I'm not looking.

K
Wow! What a cool story and sweet car! I had no idea it has been in your family from day one. Thank you for sharing!
2021 GMC 2500HD Duramax AT4

My "It's a Jimmy Thing" Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=583528
Budget Build 1985 K20
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=801565
JJH Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 01:06 AM   #40
Sheepdip

Quote:
Make sure you can register it in your respective state BEFORE you invest any money in it.

I see a lot of basket cases getting brought into California. Swapping cab and frame can get you into a pickle with a VIN officer if they care about continuity; mine did.
This is what I tell all novices and then I tell them "you better listen to me" simply because we live in Kalifornia.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 01:12 AM   #41
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddylackn View Post

There is a rabbit hole too many fall into. Here is a typical story of a very long prolonged or failed project:

1.They start doing one repair or one rust fix, the next thing they know, the truck is all apart and a full restoration is going on. They work diligently for weeks and months, then realize:
2. They do not have the space, skill, money, time, or tools to complete this huge task. Often all the above.
3. They soon burn out when they hit a critical path, where they have no time, funds, or skill to complete one big task to continue get the project driving again.
4. The burn out becomes an unwilling eyesore and now becomes a psychological hurdle they have to cross and it becomes overwhelming. What was once a task that had to be done next, now is an overwhelming giant hurdle. You take a break.....
5. The project sits for an extended time and becomes a burden just to get started again.
6. Often this drags on for years. Some parts get lost or forgotten where they went. Rising prices make it hard to purchase what you need. The vehicle gets buried in the garage. Now you need 4 hours of cleaning the garage done just to start working on the vehicle. This becomes an excuse.
7. When you do work on it, it often is small piece meal tasks and not on the big critical task that has preventing you from finishing.
8. You get sick of looking at the project as it only reminds you of your failure to complete it or your lack of skills, or the mistakes you already made.
9. You no longer have a recollection of good times with the vehicle, you only connection now is negative. The project is officially stalled.
Time Flies:
10. Then only four things can happen:
1. You get rid of it. Either piecemeal or all at once. usually at the result of a divorce.
2. You find a way to get motivated to work on it again. Maybe you finish, maybe you stall at the next critical path.
3. You finish the car, either by cutting corners, or spending some dough.
4. The car sits in your garage, barn, or shed unfinished until you die, or they take you away. Your widow or kids get it and post
it up on FB Marketplace or craigslist. The poor potential buyers hound your loved ones with questions like: Do you
know where all the pieces are? title? Can you look for the missing hubcap? Can you please look for the tailgate?
Are you sure you didn't see the cam card laying around? It looks like this.....
The average person who has not done a full blown, down to nothing restoration, has not a clue as to the time, hours, drive/commitment and money it takes to accomplish what they dream of.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 01:18 AM   #42
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Already been said, but multiple projects is for the birds.

It's not twice or even 3 times the money. Like 12 times more.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:59 AM   #43
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:

People bringing a vehicle into California? I live in the high desert and there is rust free stuff all over the place. The sun beat's the heck out of the interior. But that's usually thrashed anyway. I can't imagine buying a car from the rust belt. That's way too much trouble.

My buddy just gave me a 1970 CST cab. No rust. Nothing. I just have to pick it up. The glass and the doors are good. I got it for free... Well maybe not totally for free. I'll have to bring over some beer. But I can live with that

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 06:27 AM   #44
WorldsCrappiestTruck

I found a great way to get any large project accomplished, be it a house remodel, vehicle work etc is to do one bit per day minimum.

No matter how small the step, make 1 per day. It might be 5mins, but 1) those few minutes a day really do add up over time, and 2) it keeps you mentally engaged in the project and thinking about what’s next.

Ex - last night for 10mins I loosely mounted a radiator support, put bolts in the parts cleaning tank and laid out my cab mount kit.

Nothing huge, just keeping the big heavy ball slowly rolling. After a month of those small nudges, you’ll be surprised what’s accomplished.
WorldsCrappiestTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:52 AM   #45
sick472

An old friend told me once that in order to keep a car restoration or resto-mod moving along and to avoid project death...you have to average a minimum of 10 hours a week on the project. That sounds like a lot of time to the average person with a family, but trust me 10 hours is a MINIMUM. At that rate, a full no-bolts-unturned project can take 10 or more years. I easily spent 25 hours a week on a very rough Rustang project and it took me 7 years. I like WCT's idea of doing something on the project every day alot, just try to make some days a lot longer.

My truck project took me 17 years collectively (over the course of 24 years and with the Rustang project tucked in the middle), but that was with several job changes, several moves, and a family. Never give UP! The beginnings of my truck project predated digital cameras and cell phones or I'd have more progress pics...lol

From the bringing the old Rustang home...to dismantling it...to done!
Attached Images

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:54 AM   #46
JJH Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldsCrappiestTruck View Post
I found a great way to get any large project accomplished, be it a house remodel, vehicle work etc is to do one bit per day minimum.

No matter how small the step, make 1 per day. It might be 5mins, but 1) those few minutes a day really do add up over time, and 2) it keeps you mentally engaged in the project and thinking about what’s next.

Ex - last night for 10mins I loosely mounted a radiator support, put bolts in the parts cleaning tank and laid out my cab mount kit.

Nothing huge, just keeping the big heavy ball slowly rolling. After a month of those small nudges, you’ll be surprised what’s accomplished.
This is the key. No matter how small a task get something done nearly every day!

I am currently nearing the end of my second every nut and bolt frame off and one thing that i learned from the first one is when you are disassembling blast, paint, fix or repair the pieces as they come off. It makes the assembly more enjoyable and way faster.

I can also add that if you are modifying from the original design (like adding fuel injection, power windows or locks, after market A/C etc.) it is going to take you 10 time longer than you think.
2021 GMC 2500HD Duramax AT4

My "It's a Jimmy Thing" Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=583528
Budget Build 1985 K20
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=801565
JJH Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:02 AM   #47
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Don't bolt $3,000.00 worth of drop suspension to a rotted out frame cut long bed with a $300. 00 junk yard LS and spider web wiring and think it's "Patina" is worth $20,000.00
Sounds like an episode of Roadkill Garage! But, of course, they pay for very few of the parts.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:59 AM   #48
Grumpy old man

I'll be about 10 years into my 67 short bed project , My opinion to others is buy the best truck you can afford to start with , I didn't take my own advice I went out and found more than a bunch of $500.00 1967 short bed specials Some ran most didn't I found them them in Craigslist and local leads , off the board , I saved the best parts and pieces and slowly sold off the rest to buy new parts , I've delt with major project creep . Lost interest for months at a time but that's easy to do when you work alone it takes a lot longer to move ,lift and fit parts and I don't send anything out , I've spent untold hours searching for the best deals on quality parts and pieces , To build what "I" wanted in the end a 67-71 period built 350 4 bolt with a Muncie M-22 and 3.73 posi with a 3.5/5" static drop , I don't have a build thread because I already have enough voices talking in my head My project and hobby totally paid for it's self . That's a good thing , I'll finish the paint work in a few months and build a black leather interior this winter and by this time next year it will be done and be able to say I built it myself , all of it every nut bolt and screw.
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 05-20-2022 at 12:15 PM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:34 PM   #49
sick472

Grumpy's approach is fantastic for creating the budget from within the project. That Rustang of mine was bought for $850, delivered. By the time I sold off all the 6 cylinder parts and odds and ends that I didn't need or want going forward...I made back over $1500. That payed for the starter car and a few other things.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:45 PM   #50
Grumpy old man

Yeah, I was lucky to find them , I don't know where anyone is going to find a 67 short bed project for $500.00 anymore .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 05-20-2022 at 01:14 PM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote