The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2007, 10:44 PM   #51
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

Re: '67 step-side replacement rear bumper

Ok... just a little update. Rick, I won't be able to use the mustang seatbelts for the reason that the belts themselves are just not long enough to mount in the floor and strap you in. Oh well... back to square one. I'll figure out something. Oh, got my stereo mounting figured out. The previous owner cut a hole in the dash to mount a newer style stereo and I think he used a beaver to cut it. It was pretty hacked. I tried to clean it up but just couldn't. Besides all of that, the hole was just too big so the deck wouldn't stay mounted. I wanted to come up with something that looked good and not cheesed. Here is what I came up with. I got ahold of some thick sheet metal and cut me a new flush-mount plate. I double-sided taped it to the dash so it would be clean looking without some goofy-looking screws holding it in. I think it looks ok, at least it's better than what was there to start with.

Later for now. D
Attached Images

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Richard8971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:27 AM   #52
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

Don,

Just Finished Re-reading your Entire Thread, It Truly is Hard to Believe this is the Same Truck you Started out With, Again i want to Congratulate you on a Well Done Build Thread that has Provided a Lot of Info that even a Novice could Benifit From. The Use of the Slick Sand & the Reskin of Bedsides are a Couple that Come to Mind...........

Also Look Forward to Seeing How Your Wood bed Come's out with the Tip that you Gave me on Re-doing a Wood Bed, That Maybe something that you could Consider doing as a Seperate Thread . That May be something that could be of Use for a lot of us as a FAQ.............

Did I Miss What you Plan on Running as a Wheel & Tire Combo on Your Truck, Might be Kinda Hard to Do Justice to that Beautiful Paint Job.........

Having People Like you who are willing to share your Experience & Wisdom on Redoing a Project is what Make this Board Great to be a Part of, Let me Know if & what you Come up with for Seatbelts...........

Glad to see the Use of White Interior Trim also, The 67 Fleet i Recently Bought was In White & Took a Little Getting used too, I really like it Now.

Again I say Thanks for Sharing, Sorry if This Post Seem's Rambling, Just Had a Lot of Thought's too Share..........

Rick

Here is Pic of My White Interior on the Fleet........
Attached Images

67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
toomanytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:49 AM   #53
Richard8971

Hey Rick, the "tricks-of-the-trade" and tips I am sharing are not secrets. They are simply the tools of the trade and things I have personally found over the years to work great. I am gratful to those who over the years have taken the time to teach me what they know about restoration and custom work. That being said, I am more than willing to pass on to others what I do know or at least my opinion, at least I might be able to shed light on a different way of doing something.

Take Slick Sand for instance. It's an over-the-counter product available at any automotive autobody supply store. I personally believe it is not pushed as the wonderful product that it is. If you are working on any old sheetmetal, you really need this stuff. It's like $60.00 a gallon and well worth every penny. Every part on my truck has seen a few coats of this stuff. It truly makes every imperfection go away. Now granted, it means an extra step in blocking, but as you can see, the results are well worth the extra effort.

I guess what I am saying is, if you are going to "restore" your truck, then go the extra mile. I mean, what can it hurt? Invest in a small compressor and cheap spray gun and stop buying the crap that comes out of spray cans. You guys have no idea now much it pains me watching you post pics of spray bombed parts in the build section and then spend 1000's on tires and rims and engines. Rims won't rust... spray bombed parts will... eventually.

Rick, I am looking for just the right rims to accent the truck. The ones that are on it are just for now. They are ok for the time being. I wanted my money for now to go to getting this beast back on the road. The rims will come later, once I am happy with the way the body/driveline is working.

Also Rick, I will take your advice, I will post pics of the bed wood in the facts page of this website. Make it an "how-to" if you will. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I got my carpet put in today and I am really pleased with the results. Ben at Lad's did an awesome job. I posted pics of the install. Got my tank in and the seat. It's really nice to see this come together after being apart for almost a year. If you guys have any questions on "how-to" kinda stuff, drop me a line at Richard8971@aim.com. I'll do the best I can to help. Later for now.

Don
Attached Images

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo

Last edited by Richard8971; 11-03-2007 at 02:58 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:10 PM   #54
Richard8971

The day has arrived! I am officially done painting my truck. The doors got shot today. Nothing else needs to be painted. I posed pics, so I hope you enjoy. I have new weatherstriping comming from LMC and it should be here this week. I can get the final assembly squared away once the doors are on. Just have the wiring harness to put back in and the bed wood as far as cosmetics go, but I still need to get my drive shaft remade and put in as well as hook up the 700R4. Little things I guess...

Hey, a quick question... Does anyone know where I can get a replacement VIN sticker that you see inside the glove box door? Any information would be awsome.

Later for now, Don
Attached Images

Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo

Last edited by Richard8971; 11-08-2007 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:20 AM   #55
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

I bet you are one Happy Man about Now, Looking Forward to Rest of the Build..................

Rick
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
Old 11-08-2007, 12:04 PM   #56
kyull67

About the glovebox sticker, I forget his name but a guy on here makes them and they look just like the original. Start a thread in the 67-72 message board and I'm sure someone will know his name.
kyull67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:17 PM   #57
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

It's "chipflyer" and yeah, the look really nice. I bought one from him a couple weeks ago.

Truck is looking great!
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:10 PM   #58
Richard8971

Sweet, thank you gentlemen. I will write to him and see what he would charge me. I'm ready to put the doors on so I will post pics once they are on. Later!

Don

Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Old 11-09-2007, 06:33 AM   #59
Chevyman63
Can't wait to retire!!

Nice work, the truck looks GREAT!!!

2009 4x4 Chevy Crew Cab 6.0
1989 4x4 Siverado (270,000 miles)
1972 4x4 Blazer
2007 Chevy Cutaway 1 ton
1970 Corvette (sons project)

RIP
- CLR 10/11/09
Chevyman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:58 PM   #60
Richard8971

AAAARRRRUUUGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! Ugh, I hung the doors today and the passenger door doesn't want to fit correctly. It's scratching the rocker panel and can't be raised up any more.... Son of a B****!!!! Didn't I just hang these darn things BEFORE I painted them???? You know what??? I truly believe someone switched doors on me after I fitted these things.... I mean, I spent an entire weekend hanging and fitting the doors BEFORE I painted them.

I need a beer... or two... maybe three... I hate this d*** truck sometimes...

I'll let you know what happens...

Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo

Last edited by Richard8971; 11-11-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:29 AM   #61
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

That really SUX!
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:32 PM   #62
Richard8971

Ok, got the doors aligned today. I forgot that I had to shim the right upper hinge to get the passenger door to align correctly. I put the left door "innards" in with the windows and door panel. The same guy who used the beaver to cut the stereo hole also used it to cut the holes in the bottoms of the doors for 6 x 9's. (You should have to have a licence to buy a saw's-all) I'm having kick panels made to cover the lower part of the doors. I will put speakers in the doors but at least when I do it, it will look a whole lot cleaner. That's why the bottom of the doors are not painted, they will be covered. It will be nice to have this thing together soon, so I can touch up all the chips and scratches from shop damage and reassembly screw-ups.

Now I'm screwing around with my hood hinges and scratching my head as to why my hood won't sit flush when I close it. (It will sit flush when I push down on the back of the hood after it's down) I seem to remember that it closed ok before I took it apart...

Many beers sound good tonight...

Later for now,

Don

Hey, just FYI... the horse to the left is one of mine. (We have three) Her name is Kitty and she loves to stand around and let her tougne hang out. I love that photo, it reminds me of how I often feel after a day of work at the shop....
Attached Images

Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo

Last edited by Richard8971; 11-12-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:08 PM   #63
Richard8971

Well the sun was out for a little bit today so I snapped some pics. Almost there...
Attached Images

Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Old 11-14-2007, 11:07 AM   #64
Shock_Me

Don,
Try this method by Huck to get your hood down in the back. It worked great for me.

To get the back down with existing hinges---open hood----loosen the three bolts that attach hinge to fender (both sides). Now push the hood up till the hinges stop moving, ---now push it open a bit more to preload the hinges. Tighten hinges. (two people make it a lot easier--hehehe) now carefully lower the hood--this may take a few adjustments to get it to sit just right (height wise). You may need to adjust the hood front to rear to allow for proper clearance with the cowl.
As far as pop up---these hinges have like 6-8 pivot points that should be clean and lubed for best action. Sometimes you can get them to pop up a bit but not necessarly. Flush out the hinge pivot points and lube with oil or lithum grease. Should be fine~~.
Shock_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:36 PM   #65
Richard8971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock_Me View Post
Don,
Try this method by Huck to get your hood down in the back. It worked great for me.
Duh, I forgot about doing this. I guess when you don't work on them everyday, you space some of the details. Worked great! Thank you.

Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Old 11-16-2007, 10:35 PM   #66
Richard8971

Hey Rick, I found out something recently... I can't use floor mounted shoulder seatbelts in my truck. Wanna know why? The stupid tank prevents mounting the unit in the floor. I knew I should have moved it... Darn lack of funds. Ugh. I give up. I guess I can live with lap belts and a shoulder clip-in type belt. I'm sure someone makes them. I mean hell, the cab has the holes in the top for the shoulder belts. Anyone know of anything?

I need to invest stock in Budweiser... many more beers sound good tonight. j/k... well one or two won't hurt... maybe three or four...

Later

Don

Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Old 11-23-2007, 02:12 AM   #67
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

Don,

Where u Been hiding, Last i Heard u were gonna Have a Couple Buds

Rick
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
Old 11-23-2007, 10:36 PM   #68
72BLUZ

That Is Looking Great!!!! Cant Wait To See The Finished Product. """"good Luck""""
Old 11-27-2007, 10:38 PM   #69
Richard8971

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytoyz View Post
Don,

Where u Been hiding, Last i Heard u were gonna Have a Couple Buds

Rick
LOL, hey Rick. Don't worry I saved you some. Anyway, I went to Lowe's and grabbed my bed wood today. Depending on how well it turns out, I will post the "how-to" in the "how-to" section. I got 2 pieces of 3/4 furnature quality oak plywood really cheap. Both were slightly damaged and not in the area that I need for the bed wood. I got one sheet for $14.00 and the other for $35.00. Not bad considering that they are $48.00 full price.

I'll start measuring and cutting tomorrow and I will post pics. If this goes according to plan, it will look awesome and I will have saved mucho $$$.

Later, Don

Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Old 11-27-2007, 11:10 PM   #70
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

Good Luck with the Bed, Look Forward to seeing the Pics & Write up if Possible........

Rick
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
Old 11-29-2007, 05:05 PM   #71
barthmonster

My Sons rear bumper is aftermarker I think...
Attached Images

barthmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:02 PM   #72
Richard8971

Quote:
Originally Posted by barthmonster View Post
My Sons rear bumper is aftermarker I think...
Oh good grief... not exactly what I had in mind...

Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Old 11-29-2007, 10:26 PM   #73
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

That's Worse than what you Took off, I posted a Link to your Thread in another Thread Questioning What to Do About Wood Bed.............

Hope you Don't Mind, Just want to Help save someone else a Little Money, Here is the Link................Wood Bed

Rick
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
Old 11-29-2007, 10:46 PM   #74
72BLUZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard8971 View Post
Oh good grief... not exactly what I had in mind...

WITH WHAT YOU ARE DOING, YOU DEFINITLY DO NOT NEED A BUMPER LIKE THAT.
I WAS TOLD THAT S10 SEAT BELTS WORK IN THESE TRUCKS, INCLUDING THE SHOULDER HARNESS. SOME ONE ON HERE SHOULD HAVE DEFINITE ANSWER
Old 11-30-2007, 12:37 AM   #75
Richard8971

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytoyz View Post
That's Worse than what you Took off, I posted a Link to your Thread in another Thread Questioning What to Do About Wood Bed.............

Hope you Don't Mind, Just want to Help save someone else a Little Money, Here is the Link................Wood Bed

Rick
I don't mind at all Rick. Thank you for the link. I should have photos posted by this weekend. Wish me luck...

D

Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo