The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2015, 10:31 AM   #1
unbrokenchain

Rebuilding wood bed on C30, pressure treated lumber and rust

So I'm going to rebuild the bed on my C30 because there are very few solid oak boards left (which is a bit of a shame, I bet it was beautiful at one point). Conveniently I am also disassembling a large deck on my house and will have plenty of planks in good shape for the bed surface.

The carpentry is straightforward, no issues with the building itself, my question is about the load-bearing wood that rests on the frame. It seems like the salts used in typical pressure-treated lumber would accelerate rust/frame rot. I'm planning to wire brush and coat the frame with POR or Rustoleum, but is there something additional I could put between the PT wood and the frame itself? I was thinking maybe some type of roofing tar/flashing or even laying down a strip of tri-flex. Anybody have any ideas, or does it even matter?
unbrokenchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:38 PM   #2
mike16

Re: Rebuilding wood bed on C30, pressure treated lumber and rust

were the beds oak or pine?

I thought i read some where they were pine. I prefer untreated lumber. then I use lots of linseed oil boiled. then 1 quart every 6 months for ever after
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:09 AM   #3
unbrokenchain

There were four pine boards (two 4x4s running lengthwise and the two outermost deck boards had been replaced w/ pine), the rest oak. Interesting how the boards seemed to be randomly totally rotted or totally fine, maybe it was parked under a tree or something. The only part I'm planning to reuse are the metal bands on the outside. I'm going to try some flashmate or something similar when it comes to reinstall. Photos coming on "Nancy" thread in the builds forum.
unbrokenchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
mike16

wood quality has alot to do with whether the wood was old or new growth, age at time of harvest, altitude and location it was grown at and when and how it was harvested, and water content/seasoning / drying when cut for boards. Even the type and speed of the blade used to cut it effect its length of service life. Pallet material at one end of the spetrum and musical instrument grade material at the other.

expensive and fickle at best. But worth it. People make a career out of selecting wood for thier industry. maybe one or two trees per acre are hand selected. they can sell for thousands of dollars. Lots are stolen from government land unfortunatley.

Pick up bed grade wood is somewhat lower on the quality scale, but in my life I dont recall there being any knots in GM's wood.Maybe some but very few,

type and amount of maintenance. and that varies based on the envirionment where its used and maintained.

I have seen origonal wood in Conneticut and Arizona. I rant on about linseed oil but inthose cases the owner refinished it seasonaly with linseed oil. Boiled. I dont know who contracted with GM to supply them wood back then or what the contract spec'ed the wood at. Suposedly, .....linseed oil with carbon black added,maybe for pigment maybe for protection. linseed oil alone is pretty good, the carbon black adds good protection too.

Next time you go hunting or camping, research the flora and fowna of the area. You never know.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote