The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2014, 03:59 AM   #1
1971 cheburban

Headers on a 71 c-10

I know someone has headers on their truck, what is your guys preference for headers. I've never had a set and have no idea what to look for. It's going to go on a 1971 c-10, 355 with a borg-warner t-10, factory height. Id like to have the full length not block huggers, and what, if anything should I wrap to protect it from heat? The headers themselves, the starter? Plug wires? And I saw orange painted waders once that had white wrap on them, I thought they looked awesome and just curious if someone knows of orange painted headers,or could I just get a regular set and have them powder coated? Any help is appreciated guys
1971 cheburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
leftybass209

Re: Headers on a 71 c-10

LOL you're shooting for the moon right now! Lets take it one step at a time.

Why do you want headers (not that it matters)? Is it for the look, or more power?

Is your engine breathing enough to make use of headers?

There's a lot of people that have headers. Most will tell you the higher quality (more expensive) headers are the better way to go because they will have thicker flanges and less prone to leaks and warping.

Some headers use (and all can be coated) a ceramic coating to prevent rust and ugly looks.

Wrapping headers is an effective way to help prevent the heat transfer.

Diligent routing of the correct style wires will be sufficient enough to protect them from heat without wrapping the headers. They also make "boots" or "socks" to slide over the spark plug and wire ends to protect from heat.

I can't comment on the orange waders thing.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
1971 cheburban

I meant orange painted headers, that's the thing about iPhones and fat fingers, it's a 350 bored .030 over, flat top pistons, 1.94 intake,1.6 exhaust valves, lunati voodoo .468/.489 lift, so I figured headers would help it breath a bit better, and make a little more power, and they sound nice too, or do you think I should just stick with factory manifolds, I have a set of those also
1971 cheburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
leftybass209

I can agree with that motor headers would help it breath but most likely you'd only see significant gains at higher rpms. I am an exhaust manifold person myself but I can't deny a set of nice headers can benefit a motor. Maybe some others will chime in with more useful information than, they leak and the bolts come loose. Those are the most common arguments against headers.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:13 PM   #5
brawley
Easy Does It

I heard it was not good to wrap headers... never had heat trouble with them and they sound cool, I bought a full length set from summit racing they had the ceramic coating, but they still turned after a while they were only $189 though, some of the nice ones can go as high as $600 im sure you get what you pay for..if I had to do it over I would get the thicker shorty headers or rams horn manifolds and just paint them with a few coats of high temp paint.
brawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:34 PM   #6
Jayschevy

I bought a set of Hedman mid length headers and I'm happy with them. I'm not sure what the part number is but they are specifically for C10's.
Jayschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
MidLifer

I got a set of long-tube headers (no brand) with the engine I bought. I cut the flanges, used good MANIFOLD gaskets (which seal better than header gaskets - see about a thousand threads on this board about that topic) and torqued/re-torqued the bolts and they don't leak. I shot them with VHT and it lasted pretty well, though there is some rust showing now a few years later.

I had to pound one pipe a bit for spark plug clearance (not for the plug but for the socket) and I used Taylor wires (which hold up better than most with heat) and shields on the ones that are close and have had no problem with burning wires.

If you want looks, the expensive ceramic headers are better, but I don't think you'll notice any performance difference between them and good old swap meet headers, so long as the welds and flanges are in good shape.

One man's opinion, worth what you paid for it...
MidLifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #8
WIDESIDE72

I prefer manifolds for ease (or lack of) maintenance vs headers. I have run both over the years an only really noticed the difference in power on a 383 in my 79 Malibu, but it had the "log" manifolds originally. They were ceramic coated and the coating did seem to help lower the underhood temps. Between that and having a cowl induction hood not sealed to the carb, (never got around to it) you could work on the engine and not get burnt after letting it sit for just a few minutes after shutting it off. I have heard, and would agree that the ram horns on our trucks flow better than the later "logs".
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:43 AM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Headers on a 71 c-10

I have the Stainless works long tube headers on mine now. These are the first headers ever for me. They look nice and have very little dis coloring so for.
Here is the link for them.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...y.php?cat=1979

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:24 AM   #10
DangerDan

Installing a 327 into a '71 C10 which came with a 250 CID and three speed on the column. looks like the headers are going to line up perfectly with the clutch lever. Anyone have a fix for that? Is there another clutch lever arrange mnent ao fabrication i can make to move the lever?
DangerDan is offline   Reply With Quote