The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2014, 12:09 AM   #1
bterry97gt

Thumbs up Project 'Kickin Wing' (No Limits/Hotchkis/PorterBuilt/LS Power)

Hey guys, been lurking around this site for a while and finally get to start a build thread of my own. I have always liked the 67-72 body style truck and wanted to build one, but between college, getting married, and buying a house; the time or funds haven't been available.

Well, when I finally graduated I guess I thought I had to have a new (to me) car. So I bought an 05 C6. It was a fun car but I quickly found out that I was going to get bored with it. I like to tinker more than I like to drive and Corvette upgrades are not cheap. So not long after buying it I took a trip with the family to the Fall Rod Run in Pigeon Forge TN and saw a few C10's and decided that it was time to let the 'vette go and buy a C10 to build.

Here is the C6 leaving with its new owner:

While I had the car for sale I was on the hunt for a 67-68 SWB, me and my dad looked at quite a few and ran across a 68 SWB just a few miles from my house. It had some issues, but it was all there and the rusty areas were repairable. I negotiated with the guy and we worked out a pretty good deal. They delivered the truck to me about an hour after the guy picked up the Corvette Here it is in all its glory!

Plans are lose right now but I do have a general idea of where I am heading with it. It will be a frame off build with a pro-touring feel. It won't be a full blown tube chassis autocross machine or anything like that. I am just wanting something that has a little better street manners that is fun to drive. I will be using the stock suspension configuration with some mods from the 'Make it Handle' thread and parts from No-Limits, Porterbuilt, and Hotchkis. It will also have a 5.3/4l60e with minor mods. I haven't made any decisions on paint or anything else on the exterior or interior, but I do have some ideas rolling around in my head. I have been doing a little research on wheel fitment and plan to come up with something that is a little different/non-traditional.

Anyways, there will be more updates soon. I have already started tearing the truck down and have a few parts on the way.
bterry97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
Low Elco

Re: Project 'Kickin Wing' (No Limits/Hotchkis/PorterBuilt/LS Power)

You gotta have the good stuff, maaan!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

Great choice and nice truck to start with!

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
bterry97gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
You gotta have the good stuff, maaan!

will have more updates later on this afternoon!
Old 10-31-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
rripp

You should change your name to kickin azz...I would.
rripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
chris909

Nice Project, Cant wait to see it cruzin the main strip in Pigeon Forge one day, Best of Luck
chris909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:47 PM   #7
bterry97gt

Before I got the truck I found a 5.3 longblock and ended up trading a .22 rifle for it. It was really dirty but for the money I figured I would give it a shot, and I had a long weekend and needed something to work on. Here it is when i got it

And after a scrub down with simple green and a scotchbrite

Took the heads off and painted the block

Got the heads put back on, installed a LS6 cam and springs, and cleaned up some truck accessories my dad had.

I am close to having everything I need minus an alternator, throttle body, and a few odd and end bolts. I had to make a small modification to the ac compressor bracket to work with the motor mounts I am using. I am going to try to get the engine set back in the engine bay as far as possible.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:42 PM   #8
Nsanehotrodz

Talking Re: Project 'Kickin Wing' (No Limits/Hotchkis/PorterBuilt/LS Power)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bterry97gt View Post
Hey guys, been lurking around this site for a while and finally get to start a build thread of my own. I have always liked the 67-72 body style truck and wanted to build one, but between college, getting married, and buying a house; the time or funds haven't been available.

Well, when I finally graduated I guess I thought I had to have a new (to me) car. So I bought an 05 C6. It was a fun car but I quickly found out that I was going to get bored with it. I like to tinker more than I like to drive and Corvette upgrades are not cheap. So not long after buying it I took a trip with the family to the Fall Rod Run in Pigeon Forge TN and saw a few C10's and decided that it was time to let the 'vette go and buy a C10 to build.

Here is the C6 leaving with its new owner:

While I had the car for sale I was on the hunt for a 67-68 SWB, me and my dad looked at quite a few and ran across a 68 SWB just a few miles from my house. It had some issues, but it was all there and the rusty areas were repairable. I negotiated with the guy and we worked out a pretty good deal. They delivered the truck to me about an hour after the guy picked up the Corvette Here it is in all its glory!

Plans are lose right now but I do have a general idea of where I am heading with it. It will be a frame off build with a pro-touring feel. It won't be a full blown tube chassis autocross machine or anything like that. I am just wanting something that has a little better street manners that is fun to drive. I will be using the stock suspension configuration with some mods from the 'Make it Handle' thread and parts from No-Limits, Porterbuilt, and Hotchkis. It will also have a 5.3/4l60e with minor mods. I haven't made any decisions on paint or anything else on the exterior or interior, but I do have some ideas rolling around in my head. I have been doing a little research on wheel fitment and plan to come up with something that is a little different/non-traditional.

Anyways, there will be more updates soon. I have already started tearing the truck down and have a few parts on the way.
Since your only a few hours away you should stop by and check out our new location!
Tennessee's #1 HotRod Shop!
Nsanehotrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:10 PM   #9
slowcpe

Cool truck. Looks like a good start.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:54 PM   #10
bterry97gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsanehotrodz View Post
Since your only a few hours away you should stop by and check out our new location!
I was looking on yall's site and will probably be getting some sheet metal since its close enough for me to pick up and save some shipping cost. I already regret not spending a little more and getting the no limits wide ride coilover and 4 bar setup. After adding everything up for the front and rear the cost is not 'too' much more. I would love to see one of those setups in person.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:06 PM   #11
Nsanehotrodz

Thumbs up Re: Project 'Kickin Wing' (No Limits/Hotchkis/PorterBuilt/LS Power)

I would be more than happy to help you out! If you need anything just let me know. We have one truck from every body style in the shop right now. Feel free to stop by or call when you have any questions. Ask for DeWayne!
Tennessee's #1 HotRod Shop!
Nsanehotrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:49 PM   #12
bterry97gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsanehotrodz View Post
I would be more than happy to help you out! If you need anything just let me know. We have one truck from every body style in the shop right now. Feel free to stop by or call when you have any questions. Ask for DeWayne!
Thanks! I could possibly be coming up that way the weekend of the 14th. I would love to stop buy. I will give you a call soon!
Old 11-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #13
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Looks like a good to me keep up the good work..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #14
dkauffman05

I just recently got a new project but during my search I looked at that truck a few times on cl.
dkauffman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:33 AM   #15
Orangetonicclicc

Great start! I love to see new threads! Have fun!
Orangetonicclicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #16
resto newbie

Another future Alabama Porterbuilt truck! Nice plans. Welcome.

1967 Chevy C10 "Project DV8ED"
1994 Nissan 300zx convertible
2004 Chevy 2500HD crew cab 4x4
resto newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #17
bterry97gt

Got a little bit of work done this week despite the cooler weather. Earlier this week my brother-in-law came over and helped me get the truck in my (very small) garage and get the clip and engine removed.

The trans leaked almost all of its fluid out once the driveshaft came out. Also, you cant really tell in pictures, but there is so much grease/dirt/mud caked around the spindle area that you cant even see the ball joints

Also got the bed removed with the help of my wife

And here is how she sits now

This week I plan to pressure wash all the gunk of the frame that I can and get the truck back in the garage. Then hopefully get the engine and trans put together and test fitted to check for clearance before i remove the cab and get the frame and suspension sand blasted. I am planning to get the engine as far back as possible using POL tubular mounts in the 6 cyl location with adjustable motor mount plates. I also want to check header clearance while its in there. My goal is to not have to do any clearancing or hole drilling in the frame after I paint it to avoid rust stains around holes and crossmembers.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #18
mcbassin
Still Learning

very nice looking project. I like all the plans you have for the build. Subscribed.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #19
Low Elco

Cool!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #20
KMC3420

In for the 68 5.3 build. Looks to be as solid of a start as any body else's build. I have the LS6 cam and springs on my 5.3 as well, but it is sitting on the engine stand, looks like you are going to beat me to installing yours. I just ordered a harness from PSI, and a PCM as well, truck fund is low currently. Good luck.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #21
Luther Grimace

Looking foward to watching this build! My brother is Ben. Hopefully that LS Wiring Excel Sheet I sent you will help out.
Luther Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #22
bterry97gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther Grimace View Post
Looking foward to watching this build! My brother is Ben. Hopefully that LS Wiring Excel Sheet I sent you will help out.
Yea thanks man! I just glanced over it really quick but I am sure it will help out a lot when I start digging into that harness.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #23
bterry97gt

Haven't got much done since this past weekend. The time changed here and its dark by the time I get home after work, but I did manage to get the 40 years of build up blasted off of the frame and move the truck back into the garage.

This picture is horrible but wanted to post it to show what a little oven cleaner and a pressure washer will do. I sprayed it down with the cleaner and waited an hour or so and then hit it with a pressure washer. It didn't get everything but its good enough until it gets sand blasted.

I do plan to make some more progress this weekend. I hope to get the cab off of the frame and start removing crossmembers that I don't need or plan on replacing. I am picking up some steel plate and tubing tomorrow to box the frame and add some bracing.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #24
bterry97gt

Progressing slowly, I have just been trying to dedicate a couple hours an afternoon and atleast a half day on weekend days to work on the truck. Don't want to get burnt out to quickly and want to keep the wife happy (even though she wasn't happy about losing her garage parking spot due to truck parts ). Got the cab removed and all the small parts like brake lines, e-brake cables, and gas lines off and labeled in baggies. Most of this stuff wont be used again, but I am trying to go slow and label it all really well just in case.

I am planning to get the rear end and front crossmember out this week. I was hoping to get it sand blasted before the weekend where me and my Dad could get started on the boxing and bracing of the frame, but it looks like it will be next week. I called the closest sandblasting place and they quoted $325 just to blast the bare frame! I thought that was insane and called around and found another place that would do it for $125 but they can't get to it until next week. I can wait a few days to save a couple hundred bucks.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #25
KSWes

Making quick progress, subscribed.

My Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=513002
KSWes is offline   Reply With Quote