The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2023, 04:20 PM   #1
SpudWrench

At a crossroads with 3/4ton suspension

I know it's my truck and I can do what I want but need a little input from the vets. I rebuilt a 65 c20 chassis and discovered it wasn't as smooth of a ride as I hoped, it drove exactly like a brand new 3/4ton from 60 years ago see my build thread. hoping to go to some shows this summer.

Now after going down the rabbit hole of replacing an eaton ho52 im starting to lean towards a full 5 lug swap. Unless i can find a dana 60 coil rear end. It's been harder to find than i thought. I'm sure the rebuilt 283 and sm420 don't mind the 4:10 in the back currently. I could probably get over it too if handling smoothed out some. Then it's worth continuing the search for my dana 60. I want same or close to factory WMS length axle and am not interested in modding a corp 14 bolt. Don't mind painting and redoing a track bar. But it's got to be highway friendly and coil ready. The c10 life seems so much simpler ha-ha. Anyway...

My current main focus is the c20 front disk swap dilemma. I picked up a full complete 72 c20 disk front end for almost nothing a while back and am ready to start working on it. but after driving on my truck for a bit all i care about is making it the most comfortable badass daily cruiser it can be.

I wanted to stay 8 lug and was going to swap in 1/2 coils regardless. I understand c10 arm shaft bushings are rubber. Does that make a difference? I guess my question is...

-What are the drivability differences in a 70-72 c20 front end versus 73-87?

-Would 73-87 c10 front end handle any different than a c20 front end on 1/2 ton coils?

-Those c20 builds, what did you decide on?

I need to post more so I don't vomit everything into one thread

-Shia LaBeouf
SpudWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 12:41 AM   #2
cwcarpenter98

Re: At a crossroads with 3/4ton suspension

It was only the half ton 73-87 trucks that used the rubber control arm bushings. After just replacing a set, I'd probably switch to the 63-72 arms just to not have to fight the old rubber ones again. Personal preference there though

Other than the bushings, everything else is basically the same. Where you can pick up some comfort is using the 1/2 ton coils and choosing a tire that has a lighter load rating that what typically would be installed on a c20. Yeah, you'll lose some towing and hauling capacity with the 1/2 ton coils and fewer ply tires, but if your main goal is comfort, that loss in capacity might not be a problem for you.

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 01:09 PM   #3
f66

Re: At a crossroads with 3/4ton suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudWrench View Post
I know it's my truck and I can do what I want but need a little input from the vets. I rebuilt a 65 c20 chassis and discovered it wasn't as smooth of a ride as I hoped, it drove exactly like a brand new 3/4ton from 60 years ago see my build thread. hoping to go to some shows this summer.

Now after going down the rabbit hole of replacing an eaton ho52 im starting to lean towards a full 5 lug swap. Unless i can find a dana 60 coil rear end. It's been harder to find than i thought. I'm sure the rebuilt 283 and sm420 don't mind the 4:10 in the back currently. I could probably get over it too if handling smoothed out some. Then it's worth continuing the search for my dana 60. I want same or close to factory WMS length axle and am not interested in modding a corp 14 bolt. Don't mind painting and redoing a track bar. But it's got to be highway friendly and coil ready. The c10 life seems so much simpler ha-ha. Anyway...

My current main focus is the c20 front disk swap dilemma. I picked up a full complete 72 c20 disk front end for almost nothing a while back and am ready to start working on it. but after driving on my truck for a bit all i care about is making it the most comfortable badass daily cruiser it can be.

I wanted to stay 8 lug and was going to swap in 1/2 coils regardless. I understand c10 arm shaft bushings are rubber. Does that make a difference? I guess my question is...

-What are the drivability differences in a 70-72 c20 front end versus 73-87?

-Would 73-87 c10 front end handle any different than a c20 front end on 1/2 ton coils?

-Those c20 builds, what did you decide on?

I need to post more so I don't vomit everything into one thread
I have a two 66 C20s. One I will keep stock. I will use both for trailering the hot rods and real truck duty. After much agonizing have decided to modify one with updated engine and update to disc front and rear. I have same objectives ride quality and highway friendly gearing/rpms. I have decided to retain 8 lug with H052 rear and turbo 400. Both trucks have overload spring option.

My research indicates that the 72 c20 disc front end, 73-87 disc front ends will have heavy duty front springs and will produce a ride similar to our stock 60s 3/4 tons front ends. The advantage of having the later complete front ends is an easy way to complete a disc brake conversion.

Break. If you plan on converting to 5 lug rear, your stock 3/4 front end and or 72 complete front end control arms and spindles are different from 1/2 ton and will need to be replaced. This means if you want to do a 5 lug conversion, you will replace rear end and complete front end to 5 lug components.

Also i did not see in your post a mention of master cylinder. The disc swap should include a a dual M/C and the required split brake lines and proportioning valve.

Thoughts and recommendations. If you do not need 3/4 hauling or pulling capacity, have funds for swap, and favor a smoother ride a five lug swap with the front end and to a rear end with smaller gearing sounds like a good option with understanding of the end to end requirements and components.

My route is the following for the modified truck:
Suspension.
Stock H052 rear with disc conversion. Pictures are attached.
Retain stock overload springs
Stock 66 C20 front end and control arms
Disc brake conversion spindles
Late model upper lower moog ball joints in the stock C20 control arms
Custom machined tie rod adjusters
2 sets of springs front and rear. 1 set stock and 1 set lower spring rate. (once assembled and running, will try the lighter springs first with overload springs, I will keep or swap out rears to stock HD if needed).

Gearing.
Keep stock Turbo 400 with 411/457
Install overdrive.

Brakes.
Stock Bendix booster rebuilt
Stock 67 M/C
New brake lines
Look forward to hearing what you decide. Frank
Attached Images

1966 C20 Custom Camper Saddle 327 Automatic
1962 C1 Corvette Black/Fawn 327-300 4 spd
1966 C2 Corvette Silver/Black 327-350 4 spd

Last edited by f66; 12-09-2023 at 01:25 PM.
f66 is offline   Reply With Quote