The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
JWSmith

Project "Lucky 13"

Lucky 13 - I have been building mini-trucks for almost 16 years. My last one was a 1986 GMC S-15 that I was doing an pretty much frame off, yet budget, build. Static drop 5/6, 16" ZQ8 wheels, mild buit 350. My daughter dubbed it Lucky 13 because I own a couple Lucky 13 garage shirts and they are my favorites. Cool thing was, it just so happened to be my 13th truck.
Sold that truck last month, and bought the 1970 C-10 3 days later.
Looking back, we re-counted, and one of the trucks was my dad's that he let me use for a couple semesters in college. The title was never in my name, soooo....this one actually makes Lucky 13.

The pic on the trailer was the day I brought it home.
It is a 1970 C-10/CST, power brakes and A/C. It's a little rough, but it is all there and it runs. Brakes are bad - seems like all but the front driver is seized. That just moves the disc brake/5 lug conversion up in the schedule some. While I'm at it, I might as well lower it. The initial plan was just to get it running and driving, but now it is get it running and driving with a drop and new wheels/tires, and get the damn thing to stop LOL.

I'll get more pics soon. I keep forgetting as we work on it. I went to the boneyard last week and got front fenders, a hood, and a wiper cowl with no antenna hole (score!) for $140. Bed sides are probably 85%-90%. Bed floor is shot. Previous owner was going to race it and cut the wheel tubs out to put in bigger ones and never did it. Plus there are rust holes all over in various spots. So I just bought a 87 bed and we are going to use it for the floor. My buddy is taking the bed sides for his, so it only ended up costing me $50. I got rockers and cab corners for $85 from sokyclassis.com So at this time, I believe I have all the sheet metal. I'm in need of a driver door, but I believe I have that taken care of - a friend of a friend has one that he is giving me to get it out of his garage.
JWSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
bodydropped68

Re: Project "Lucky 13"

Nice project can't wait to see more
bodydropped68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
Bomp

I'll follow along.
Sounds like you have quite a bit of experience flippin' trucks.
Welcome.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
JWSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
I'll follow along.
Sounds like you have quite a bit of experience flippin' trucks.
Welcome.
I just can't seem to stay happy with them...LOL, much to the disappointment of my wife (no one has ever said that before, right)
Old 06-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
JWSmith

I need some guidance on the frame. Since I am going to 5 lug disc brake it, and swap axles, I'm going to run new brake lines and get the wires for the taillights and such all tucked into the frame, so I'm going to go ahead and pull the cab and engine and c-notch it, etc...
Other than the bump stops, what parts of the frame can I/should I get rid of at this stage? I don't have the option to sandblast, but I can wire brush the hell out of the frame and paint it, so I so now is the time to remove any useless frame stuff.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
Bomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSmith View Post
I need some guidance on the frame. Since I am going to 5 lug disc brake it, and swap axles, I'm going to run new brake lines and get the wires for the taillights and such all tucked into the frame, so I'm going to go ahead and pull the cab and engine and c-notch it, etc...
Other than the bump stops, what parts of the frame can I/should I get rid of at this stage? I don't have the option to sandblast, but I can wire brush the hell out of the frame and paint it, so I so now is the time to remove any useless frame stuff.
Sounds like the beginnings of a very aggressive project. Like it!!!

Are you putting a Porter-built front bolt in section in? Pancake the crossmember with dropped spindles or 'Z'ing the front?

I 'Z'd mine then went totally nuttz and re-fabbed and made a 'flowing 'Z',pancake,narrowed, its still a work in progress.

Which ever route you choose you'll find plenty of good information here, plenty of builds to research and guys willing to jump in and answer any questions you have.
Gotta have plenty of pictures though.
Good luck
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
JWSmith

I have to stay budget conscious here and a porter-built isn't in the immediate cards.

I'm looking at the ece disc and 5 lug swap with the 2.5" drop spindles for the front. Probably Moser axles for the rear. Can't decide on the rear drop, but I'm leaning towards 3" drop coils right now. This will get me a little lower and driveable pretty quick. I'm just going to do the frame work now so I don't have to do it later. The bed is already off while we get the new floor in.

I'm going to try to get the gas tank out of the cab at this point as well. Again, in the interest of costs and getting it on the road fast, I'm thinking I will just put the filler behind the license plate.

It's all kinda just floating around in my head - I haven't sat down and really planned out an attack yet...
Old 06-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
JWSmith

Just ordered the 4.5/6 drop and 5 lug disc conversion from Early Classic - $1450 shipped.

Question on the drop - what's the wheel size I'm gonna have to run? Is it 17's or bigger?
Old 06-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSmith View Post
Just ordered the 4.5/6 drop and 5 lug disc conversion from Early Classic - $1450 shipped.

Question on the drop - what's the wheel size I'm gonna have to run? Is it 17's or bigger?
If it were me I would run 18" Rims all the way around, there are alot of guys that will tell you to put 20's on it but since you are doing a static drop you have to pay close attention to clearances because you can't simply raise up the body like you can with air bags, so you will need clearance for steering which also means you can't go too wide in the front probably 8", also you will probably want to run a 45 tall tire, and probably 255 wide, backspace for the Rim is important you will have to measure.
To keep costs down check into Coys brand rims, and Hankook tires.
Rim: 18x8
Tire: P255/45R18

Last edited by Xeen; 06-21-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
JWSmith

moser axles arrived - everything else should be here middle of this week.
Not sure when I'll get a chance to get it on though...still lots of work to be done to frame.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #11
JWSmith

Pulled bed, remembered to take a pic

Pulled front clip. All will be replaced except core support.

Pulled seat and all the carpet and stuff. Floor is ok with a few exceptions and some wierd patch jobs.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2013, 12:49 AM   #12
JWSmith

Tomorrow engine and trans will come out. Front suspension will be broken down for paint or powdercoating. Haven't decided yet. Frame cleanup will start as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #13
Xeen

Welcome to the board.
If you are looking for some ideas on direction and keeping costs low then I can definately help you there.
If you are within an hour of a big city use it to your advantage, try and find a local mini-yard for chevy trucks because not everything you need to buy for the truck has to be new, craigslist will probably help you track it down.
Avoid powdercoating anything because it is a budget killer.

Go down to harbor freight and buy some 4-1/2" 11k RPM Polycarbide disks they are the next best thing to sand blasting, it will quickly and easily remove any contaminate it touches including paint, bondo, surface rust, heavy scale rust, It will clean up the metal and leave a nice clean shiny surface and most of the time it requires no pressure to do the job just the weight of the grinder will usually be enough, only on the heaviest of scale rust does it require any presure.
Reserve the use of your wire wheel on crevices and places you can't get to with the poly disk.

Eastwood sells a very nice house brand MIG welder that is bang for your buck.

Shipping charges will kill your budget faster than almost anything so pay attention when you buy your parts because a lot of places will ship your entire order free if it is over a specified amount, also some places like speedwaymotors.com or summitracing.com run shipping specials on items all the time where if you buy a certain item your entire order ships free, so take advantage of it and make a comprehensive parts list before you buy anything.
If you happen to forget something and need it really fast speedway motors is the fastest in the business.

There are lots more money saving tips but this is all I have time to share today.
Subscribed and I will be following along.

Last edited by Xeen; 06-19-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #14
JWSmith

Xeen - didn't know about the polycarbide discs...good tip. Thank you.

I got new fenders, hood, wiper cowl at a small bone yard. A 71 longbed was sitting behind a few others and was t really touched except for the front suspension.

Having built a few minitrucks I've made friends with a couple hella good guys so I got a welder/paint/body man "on the payroll". He is unfortunately of of work right now, so he is helping me greatly when he isn't looking for a job. And hopefully some of my minitruck knowledge will help. Im pretty familiar with the static drops, which is what I am doing, but this is my first truck with trailing arms and coils so that'll be new

Anyway - Thanks for the advice and throw out more. I've learned a lot just lurking around already.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #15
JWSmith

A few pics of the fenders in primer

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #16
JWSmith

Anyone know what this white writing on the top section off the firewall is? Is it something historically neat? Or just someone taking some notes?

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #17
JWSmith

Look at what the big brown truck just brought me...
Old 06-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #18
JWSmith

Engine out

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #19
JWSmith

another
Old 06-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #20
JWSmith

I was wondering about the width as well...the s-10's I've done have all usually been
16X8's with one exception when I went REALLY low and did a 6/7 drop and had to run 17's (tie rod ends hit the wheel).
Old 06-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #21
Xeen

You can probably run a 10" wide Rim and 285 to 315 wide tire on the back if you are going to be running a ton of horsepower and want to put the power to the ground.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #22
JWSmith

I don't imagine it will be a lot of HP. I have a stock 350 with a mild cam, aluminum heads, edelbrock 600 carb and manifold - nothing to outrageous.

Not the air cleaner I am running - just a mock up one we had laying around.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #23
JWSmith

I broke a few links, so I'll update all pics

bed and engine off

Seat and carpet out - a few wierd patches

cab off

frame on trailer to go to my house - I will clean up as much as possible and prepare for paint

cab in my buddies garage - I don't know how to weld, so he is taking care of the cab corners and rockers, and the floor patches that need fixed. I also need to buy the cab supports, which he will do as well.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #24
Xeen

A word of advice insist on Tabco brand parts for your patch and replacement panels they are the best fitting parts on the market.
http://www.tabcobodyparts.com/index.html
Old 06-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #25
JWSmith

I already have cab corners and rockers from SoKyclassics. I'll look into tabco for the rest. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device