The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2022, 02:14 PM   #1
dman535

Window Regulators Keep Failing

I am about to install my third window regulator in the drivers side of my 71. The original one failed, ordered a replacement from Classic Industries along with all new trim and runners. That once lasted a year, thy sent me a new one this March and now that one has failed.
There is zero bind in the glass, with a new regulator the window works great. When the regulator fails it goes down easy, but there is a ton of tension trying to roll it up.
The regulator is an OER branded one that is made offshore - anyone had similar issues with these?
dman535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 02:19 PM   #2
LNP

Re: Window Regulators Keep Failing

Are the window tracks and felt in good shape and adjusted properly. What part of the regulator failed? I got mine from Classic Parts but it is a OER brand after a year I have had no bad luck.

1969 Chevy C-10 Long Bed, 350cid, 700R4
LNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 02:25 PM   #3
dman535

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNP View Post
Are the window tracks and felt in good shape and adjusted properly. What part of the regulator failed? I got mine from Classic Parts but it is a OER brand after a year I have had no bad luck.
I replaced all the felt and the tracks are in great shape - the window doesn't bind or have any issues when the regulator is good.
The failure seems to be something internal to the gear mechanism, the arms-rollers etc are all fine. It literally gets impossible to roll the window up.
Old 11-08-2022, 03:32 PM   #4
leftybass209

Does the metal around the crank shaft look ovaled out? Is there any indication that a sideways pressure on the shaft has pulled the rivets, or the housing wonky, and/or is putting a bind on the gear when you try to roll it up?

Is your inner door structure compromised in any way in that area? without the door panel, try to roll it up and see if the metal framing is flexing... i doubt it, but i've seen speaker holes cut into these things like swiss cheese!

I have a counterparts brand regulator, and it does look slightly inferior to the original, but it hasn't given me any problems yet.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 04:01 PM   #5
Jason Banks

I had a brand new one come apart on me. All new parts were used in the door.

The spring or wire that is around the crank shaft came out and got tangled up.

Had to cut it out.
Attached Images

Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 07:46 PM   #6
72SB

From what I see, all of them are made offshore. Goodmark, ACI, WAI Global....and I assume OER is just a reboxed one of those
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 09:29 PM   #7
Grumpy old man

Liberally lubing up the wheels and the tracks the wheels run in will reduce the stress on the cranks and the regulator will last a lot longer . Spray white Lithium grease works well , Running them dry will lead to early failure . https://www.amazon.com/WD-40-Special...87289667&psc=1

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 11:22 AM   #8
dman535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Banks View Post
I had a brand new one come apart on me. All new parts were used in the door.

The spring or wire that is around the crank shaft came out and got tangled up.

Had to cut it out.
I think its that spring wire that is causing the problem. I assume its what keeps the crank from not moving or the glass falling down when you are not cranking it. It is literally like one minute it works and the next its very tight and almost impossible to crank up.
Old 11-10-2022, 11:27 AM   #9
dman535

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
Does the metal around the crank shaft look ovaled out? Is there any indication that a sideways pressure on the shaft has pulled the rivets, or the housing wonky, and/or is putting a bind on the gear when you try to roll it up?

Is your inner door structure compromised in any way in that area? without the door panel, try to roll it up and see if the metal framing is flexing... i doubt it, but i've seen speaker holes cut into these things like swiss cheese!

I have a counterparts brand regulator, and it does look slightly inferior to the original, but it hasn't given me any problems yet.
There is one speaker hole in the bottom, but the door feels very solid. Once the new regulator goes in it runs very smooth, no flex or apparent issues. There is also no noticeable change in window crank tension, its not like it gets a little stiff then breaks. Its like all of a sudden- snap and you can't roll the window up. The channels are all well lubed, I can't imagine that its anything structural.

I might disect this one to see what I can find out.
Old 11-10-2022, 11:41 AM   #10
Jason Banks

When I posted the picture above on Instagram, someone commented they had the same thing happen.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 12:06 PM   #11
Dan-K

I bought one of the cheapo ebay specials (37.50) . It worked fine for about a year then it bound up one day . I muscled the crank and it broke free but the window wouldnt stay up and you could push it down with light finger pressure . I just replaced it with another , keeping my fingers crossed .
Dan-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 02:18 PM   #12
72SB

I also have issue on PS window. My regulator appears to be original. Glass was replaced by PO so at some point someone has been in the doors to do that. DS works fine. PS "binds" at the same spot rolling down only. I have to roll up slightly, then back down to get it to roll down. Sometimes having to repeat the back & forth crank thing to do so. Rolls up like butter

I have pulled door card and greased all I can get to without actually removing the regulator. It got slightly better but still binds same spot rolling down that window. With the regulator and window installed I can't find a "why" it does it. Track and window felts were also replaced by PO
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote