The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Finally got word from PullinTV

Man it takes them a LONG time to get all the post production work done on one of these Pinks All Out ordeals. But... had a call from Precision Post Productions yesterday / PullinTV, and season II of Pinks All Out is going to premier July 17. And,, my race in Tucson should be the first episode. So grab a bag of popcorn and turn up the sound, I promise, if nothing else it's gonna be foolishly entertaining

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
PA-IndianRider

Re: Finally got word from PullinTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Man it takes them a LONG time to get all the post production work done on one of these Pinks All Out ordeals. But... had a call from Precision Post Productions yesterday / PullinTV, and season II of Pinks All Out is going to premier July 17. And,, my race in Tucson should be the first episode. So grab a bag of popcorn and turn up the sound, I promise, if nothing else it's gonna be foolishly entertaining
So honored to be the first to say " We'll be watching"...... wouldn't miss it.... plus will record it for "keeping" as well.

What part of "AZ" do you live???? My step-son lives in Glendale.... when he's there that is..... he just left for his 2nd tour in Iraq.

When he gets back we'll be heading down to AZ..... maybe see ya then...
"Gasser/Altered Drag Race Hot Rod"
Where were You in '62 ?

Last edited by PA-IndianRider; 06-10-2008 at 08:44 PM.
PA-IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:13 PM   #3
joeys66pickup
Dr. Frankenstein

holy crap so watching that....your truck is my trucks idol 100% most *****in one i have EVER seen
Old 06-11-2008, 12:30 AM   #4
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

ya know, i think i just found my inspiration for the next project i'm kicking around. Instead of going low and slow, i'm thinking raked and fast in the form of a 66 c-10.

I looked at a couple $500 basket cases this week and just might have one of them home this weekend.

i learned a ton on my 69, and i think it's time to learn even more.

really looking forward to seeing this episode. I think tivo will let me see 2 weeks ahead, so i'll get it added later this month i hope.
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
Marv D

Wow, thanks guys. but let me warn you,, they TOLD us to 'ham it up',,, act like everything was a HUGE deal,, cuss, pound on the dash (win or loose) in other words, "give em a show". Now I won't deny I was a giddy as a teenager with a hot date on prom night,, but honest,, I'm not normally the lunatic 'giving em THAT show' LOL. Like I said,, this is going to be entertaining at very least

And a big thank you for the compliments on the truck. It has been a labor of love for sure. In todays world of everything sitting 'in the weeds' on 28" rims, in neon colors, it good to know there are people like my old self that still appreciate the 'big and little' tire combinations,,, and something that can get OVER the speed bumps and not around them <grin>. It's just a matter of what you grew up with I'm sure.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
joeys66pickup
Dr. Frankenstein

when i got my 65' shortstep it was in pieces but for free what can ya expect,finally after a few months though its now in rattle can black with a "warmed over" 454 th400 combo with my trusty 12 bolt and factory 70's pickup rims......i have never seen something so beautiful in my life(ok yours totally blows mine out of the water but i love mine because its mine)
Old 06-14-2008, 05:52 PM   #7
Super73

Marv,

Great looking and running truck. I have a few questions for you..

You mention it weighs 3,280. Is that with you in it or not?
I'm assuming that is all steel?
What have you done to drop the weight?

I have a 63 and it weighs 3,900 with me in it no cage and half tank of gas with an alum LS1 and 4L80E. I know the trans is killing weight some compared to your TH350 but the alum block of the LS1 should be negating that.

I understand the cage won't cert bellow probably 11.49 due to the rear bars. But can you prodie some more pics of it? I'm not soo concerned about tech as I am safety. But, I'm still considering putting the rear bars through the top for tech.

Thanks in advance..
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
Marv D

Actually, that was a typo, I've been meaning to correct that,, the truck with 12 gallons of fuel weighs 3380 add my 190 for 3570 total. The hood and front fenders are US Bodyworks 'street' grade fiberglass. Maybe 20 or so pounds lighter than the original, but this stuff is HEAVY for fiberglass. I couldn't find good original fenders when I built it, so,,,, US bodysource had the answer. I made inner fender panels from 0.083" aluminum, and the bed is from the same sheet of .083 except for the Alston supplied 0.035 aluminum wheel tubs. No heater (last thing you need in Az) , windshield wipers are dummy's (hey, with those tires you don't drive if it even looks like rain!). A BUNCH of weight went away in the backhalf. I cut the frame in two right behind the cab, and grafted the 2x3 frame rails inside the stubs of the original frame stubs.

I'll have to dig for some pics of the cage install. I went so far as to add horns onto the frame to support the cage uprights (went that far to meet the rules 1/2 way, but tech is picky, it's ALL the way or NO way LOL). The cage is more to support the backhalf frame work, and like you,, the warm and fuzzy of having some extra bars wraped around me. When I built it the rule was 11.99 for a bar, now with NHRA bumping it to 11.49 I'm still plenty safe,, this heap will never make that. Headed to a race this afternoon so I'll see what I can dig up tomorrow and post on the cage install.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:10 AM   #9
Super73

Thanks Marv.. I've been 11.95 with my heap NA and 11.28 on a small 100 shot spraying after the 60' and short shifting 2nd to 3rd. I didn't get to use the second stage (another 200 hit on top of the first 100) as a fuse blew.

If you had to guess what the US Body glass stuff saved you, hood included, what do you think it would be?
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:00 AM   #10
PA-IndianRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super73 View Post
If you had to guess what the US Body glass stuff saved you, hood included, what do you think it would be?
I wish I had a way to measure my fiberglass front end and compare it to the steel it replaced. I'd also like to know how much less it weighs than steel.

When I decided to go "fiberglass" it was NOT for "weight saving" initially.

Being a BIG "GASSER" lover I have always wanted to have (someday) a car/truck with a one piece tilt frontend. Even after I had purchased "new Goodmark" front fenders I still wished I could have a "one piece". So when a "used one" came up for sale I was lucky enough to get it.

Our truck had been already lowered 3" in the front.... when I put the fiberglass one piece on it did not even look like it was lowered. The frontend came up that much due to the lighter one piece.

Now that we are going to do "some drag racing" the "weigh savings" is good.... but initially I was more after the "gasser-look" & "kool-factor" than weigh savings. Weigh saving that I could not even guess-ti-mate.
"Gasser/Altered Drag Race Hot Rod"
Where were You in '62 ?
PA-IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:40 AM   #11
jkaylor68gmc

Got any plans for more speed in the future? WHat type of upgrades are you planning to do?
2002 Chevrolet Silverado 7-inch lift on 35 Daily driver
2016 Chevy Tahoe Better halves ride
jkaylor68gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #12
Marv D

Whew, what a night! The Nova decided to shear all the lugs off the drivers side slick at launch. What A Ride!!! Spit the slick out the quarter, destroyed the wheel, probably the disk and caliper,,,, Now I have PLENTY to do!! All I can say is no problem!! The alternative was for it to throw a wheel on the top end at 145. Could have been a real OUCHIE moment!

I guess if I had to put a number to the 'street' grade US body panels compared to the steel,,, The fenders, maybe 15 pounds each. The 66 fenders are not a heavy item in steel. The hood,, that's a different story as you well know. That is one HEAVY hunk of sheet metal, and this street grade glass hood is too. Ya know it sucks as I had the hood off for a motor swap just a few weeks ago and could have weighed it. ( just swaped out the short block for one I had with a little better internals, dropped the 5.7rod 383 into my sons Elky) All I can say is 2 men can handle the glass hood easily, One can NOT. Bulk and being so awkard to handle makes memory and estimates way exagerated.. but I'd say it's every bit of 60-70 pounds. Don't remember what the steel hood weighed, but I'd bet 80-100. Like I said, this is the 'street grade' of glass US Bodysource offers. There 'race weight' stuff is probably 1/5th the weight.

Now, I've got to go figure out how to get a three wheeled Nova out of the trailer and into the shop!!

Last edited by Marv D; 06-15-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:23 PM   #13
Marv D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaylor68gmc View Post
Got any plans for more speed in the future? WHat type of upgrades are you planning to do?

jk, not sure who you were dirrecting that ? towards....., but... not for me. When I built this truck I built a nasty little 383, Lunati solid roller, a 6" rod, JE flat top, 12.5:1 motor, spent a small fortune on a set of overly tweeked AFR 210 cnc's angle milled to 53cc, did a bunch of tweeks to the heads with rolling them over to about a 20deg valve angle, (managed to get them to 305cfm) port matched a Supervic, Prosystems custom dominator. It was fun to set off car alarms in 3 isles of the parking lots, but it SUCKED dumping c-12 in to drive to the store for milk. It went 11's on it's first passes and toasted the trans by 5th pass. Never got the package sorted out before I bought this little shoebox Nova and stuffed that motor in it (the Nova went 10.6's out of the box with the same motor, so there was a lot left to find in the truck) Built a little pump gas hydraulic roller 383 for the truck, scat cast crank, GM X rods and SRp flat tops. Bought a set of the box stock AFR 210's and put a 4150 Prosystems XC carb on it. It did a best of 12.0's but usually 12.3's to 12.5's in our hot air. But was a heck of a lot more drivable, and fun.

So the only change for the truck lately has been I gave my son the short block I have had in there for 3 or 4 years. I freshened the old 6" rod 383 short block, moved the hydraulic roller cam, heads, intake, everything over. Basically just swaped a 5.7" rod cast crank, SRP flat top externally balanced assembly, for a 6" eagle rod, Cola crank, JE flat top internal balanced assembly. Haven't been to the track since making that swap, but now that I've hurt the Nova I'll probably take the truck next weekend for the track 'summer spectatular' show with Robosaurus, a pile of nitro injected funny's, some jet cars and a small invitation bracket race. Last night the race director must have felt sorry for me breaking the car, so he invited me to bring the truck next weekend. I guess we'll see what it will do in the hottest part of the summer! But I honestly don't expect any change in ET. Even tho the internals in this block are capable of WAY more RPM than the other,,, the hydraulic roller is the limiting factor. Heck,, with my luck it may even slow down!