The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2023, 08:52 PM   #1
TX3100Guy

Carpeting and battery box access

I have purchased a carpet that is designed to fit from the firewall to the rear cab wall. I will have to trim for the pedals and floor shifter but have begun to question how I will handle access to the battery box.

While I have a brand new battery in there and likely won't need access right now, at some point I might. The carpet is designed to fit right up to the door trim strip and be mounted underneath the trim strip. If I do that, then to get to the battery I'd need to take the trim screws out and that sounds like a pain in the neck.

I know many of you have relocated the battery under the hood and don't have this problem. But for those of you with the battery in the under floor battery box, how do you handle the carpet and access?

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:52 PM   #2
nvrdone

Re: Carpeting and battery box access

I had the same problem - carpet tucked under the trim strip. Finally had a flap cut in just short of the trim strip, had the edges bound and had 2 snaps - one on each corner installed. Has held up good so far. But not many riders get in the right door.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!

Last edited by nvrdone; 04-26-2023 at 09:52 PM. Reason: spelling
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:54 PM   #3
TX3100Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
I had the same problem - carpet tucked under the trim strip. Finally had a flap cut in just short of the trim strip, had the edges bound and had 2 snaps - one on each corner installed. Has held up good so far. But not many riders get in the right door.
That sounds like a great way to go. Any chance of a photo?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2023, 10:03 PM   #4
cmayna

Rubber mat here for the carpeting. Not pinned down via the strip. Just lays on top. Peel back the back passenger corner of the mat to have access to the battery cover. Way too simple.
cmayna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 11:00 PM   #5
R&B51

Before carpet considered drop down battery box and just forget cab access?
I bought drop down box to mount on frame and was assuming it’d just lift out of tray with a little extra cable length to allow service?
Does it work that way for anyone?
Had figured to seal and lock it down.
Posted via Mobile Device
R&B51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 10:27 AM   #6
dsraven

unless you mount the battery remotely then you will have this issue to deal with. i suggest to install it without the battery box cover or the battery installed. then when it is in place mark the hole from the under side. then take it to an upholstery or carpet shop and have them cut it and sew on some matching edge binding. that will make it look good and allow easy battery access as well as have the "door" flap fit nicely. yep, you can leave it and unbolt stuff for battery access but if that happens in a parking lot somewhere you will be less than impressed. depending on your set up, you could make it easy to flap the flooring out of the way as suggested above. snaps, velcro, etc.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 10:35 AM   #7
TX3100Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
unless you mount the battery remotely then you will have this issue to deal with. i suggest to install it without the battery box cover or the battery installed. then when it is in place mark the hole from the under side. then take it to an upholstery or carpet shop and have them cut it and sew on some matching edge binding. that will make it look good and allow easy battery access as well as have the "door" flap fit nicely. yep, you can leave it and unbolt stuff for battery access but if that happens in a parking lot somewhere you will be less than impressed. depending on your set up, you could make it easy to flap the flooring out of the way as suggested above. snaps, velcro, etc.
This sounds logical and what I’ll do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2023, 11:30 AM   #8
dsraven

If you plan on thick underpaid remember that can have an effect on final placement and fit of the carpet. Maybe some velcro on the carpet around the battery hole would also help or simply a 3 sided cut so there is a flap of carpet instead of a removable piece that will try to move around under foot. Depending on your preference for a door or hatch over the hole. Something that is removable and can be taken right out of the way is definitely preferable when it comes to servicing the battery, especially if there is any sort of acid leakage issue. Some remote boost plugs would make it easier to not have a hole in the carpet, then it becomes a once every few years job instead of possibly more often. Ensure you use some good method of preventing corrosion on the cables and terminals in that case. A battery should be checked and load tested at every service if it comes right down to it. Mostly quick lubes and home done servicing skips this check, as well as a charging system test, because of lack of tooling and thinking there is no need for it. That's partly why there is a need for boost logs, haha.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 07:29 PM   #9
lv2tri2

Isn't there a way to protect and access the battery under the truck. Cutting carpet, removing metal strips, binding edges or any method that requires access from the top does not appeal to me. An occasional trip on a creeper on with some form of fastener removal seems possible.
lv2tri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 12:00 AM   #10
TX3100Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2tri2 View Post
Isn't there a way to protect and access the battery under the truck. Cutting carpet, removing metal strips, binding edges or any method that requires access from the top does not appeal to me. An occasional trip on a creeper on with some form of fastener removal seems possible.
There are drop down battery trays that can be used but I’ve found it far easier to drop in the battery from the passenger compartment. Same with connecting the cables. I couldn’t see me working under the car on a rainy night when I needed a jump.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2023, 01:59 PM   #11
damnyankee36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3100Guy View Post
I couldn’t see me working under the car on a rainy night when I needed a jump.
Posted via Mobile Device
Remote jumper terminals would work...
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 04:04 PM   #12
nvrdone

I cheated on the remote jumper terminals. I used a coupling nut on the positive terminal on the starter. Goes without saying to make sure you have plenty of clearance around the nut for jumper cables. and a good ground. My negatave cable from block to frame is a woven cable so that provides a good place to hook up a negatave jumper cable. Has worked good the few times I've needed a jump.
I also have a Noco remote charger perminantly wired into the truck.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote