The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2011, 01:29 AM   #3626
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57truckguy View Post
Alan it is an inverted flare , depending on what lines you are using you may have to get an adapter .. the one on the valve fit the 3/16 inch lines I used that I bought at the local NAPA store off the rack.. If you are using larger brake lines (and there is no reason to) you will have to call Earl's as they carry all the fittings you would ever need. NOT cheap but available.

I see that you used a different temp sensor... I have more than one in the part box.. Untill I found the one that worked correctly. llol

I ended up using a double bladed sensor as I was screwing it in the alumium intake and was worried about the ground...

Nice job on the tube.

Wish I had used the E carb.. these Hollies are so sensetive to set and keep set

Hey I like your work bench.. where did you get the top.. looks like a woodshop table top from school... LOL
Thanks for the advise on the brake fitting. All my line are in this is just an extra port I need to plug. I'll go back to the parts store and look again.

I'm still using the same temp sensor. I did remove the teflon and put some dope on it. I believe it was you that mentioned the teflon might affect the ground.

I got the table top from my Dad, no clue where it came from.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strodder View Post
X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason65 View Post
Nice and clean Alan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
I really like how clean it ends up looking with all the wiring being tubed like that.
Nice work !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
nice
Thanks guys, I'm trying my best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by protrash64 View Post
I second 57truckguy. I just plumbed my brakes on the '66 and that port on your prop valve fits a 3/16ths flare.
I'll do some more searching at the local store, BTW thanks for chimming in.

Working on the interior door panels. Also got the muffler pipe for the upper water hose enlarged a little to fit the hose better.

Got the TV cable bracket for the carb and the cable bracket for the cable itself which includes the return springs. The bracket is actually a throttle cable bracket, but I don't see any harm in using as a TV cable bracket. The cable is routed higher that normal, but there is no interferrance. Am I wrong? When I move the throttle, the rod actually moves away from the TV cable bracket.

I also did a lot of reading on how to adjust the TV cable. If I read it right I held the throttle at WOT and pulled the TV cable out til it stops and tightened it down. TV 101 is a good read that I will read again.

The last 2 pics are a before and after.
Attached Images

Last edited by Alan's Classic; 11-16-2011 at 01:47 AM.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:53 AM   #3627
McMurphy

Dang,
Now I gotta go read that TV 101 link...
I didnt want to get this smart on this project

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:01 AM   #3628
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Dang,
Now I gotta go read that TV 101 link...
I didnt want to get this smart on this project

Things accomplished tonight:

Got a 3/16 inverted flare plug for the porportioning valve. Thanks guys for the help. I feel like a dummy.

Replaced the "O" rings on the tranny dip stick. Hope that fixes the leak. Also rerouted it so there's not any pressure on the line.

Bolted the torque converter to the flex plate. then set TDC.

Ran spark plug wires. I thought I had bought some cut-to-fit. Instead I had some for a 70's corvette that ran under the manifolds. Wish I had gotten the cut to fit because there is more wire than I want. I'll try to tidy it up.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #3629
chad64chevy

nice progress alan, but you need to wash her shes dirty lol, j/k!! two questions, do you have a long tailshaft or a short for your 700r, and if you put your motor in the front holes what is the length of your driveshaft? center of u-joint to center of u-joint! reason being is i'm wondering since i had a 230 with a 3-on-the-tree if i just change the yoke out if the length would work or not! i have mine in the front holes now and this weekend i'm going to get under the truck and find out!
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #3630
chad64chevy

i have two driveshafts a solid shaft and a two piece that i got from a friend that took it out of his 68 gmc that had a 5.3ls motor and a 4l60e trans, he went to a solid driveshaft!
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #3631
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
nice progress alan, but you need to wash her shes dirty lol, j/k!! two questions, do you have a long tailshaft or a short for your 700r, and if you put your motor in the front holes what is the length of your driveshaft? center of u-joint to center of u-joint! reason being is i'm wondering since i had a 230 with a 3-on-the-tree if i just change the yoke out if the length would work or not! i have mine in the front holes now and this weekend i'm going to get under the truck and find out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
i have two driveshafts a solid shaft and a two piece that i got from a friend that took it out of his 68 gmc that had a 5.3ls motor and a 4l60e trans, he went to a solid driveshaft!
Can't wait to wash it again. I have a T350 tranny and I believe it is a short shaft. The length of tghe drive shaft is 59" to the center of the caps. The driveline shop used a biiger tube due to the length. I think he used a 3" tube.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #3632
McMurphy

Dude, your tranny dip stick is just slick, what a cool idea there.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Last edited by McMurphy; 11-18-2011 at 04:54 PM. Reason: misquoted
Old 11-21-2011, 02:54 AM   #3633
57truckguy

Alan,, the TV cable should bottom out just a tad before WOT as it will stretch with time and age.. or readjust it in every couple of months for a while, Guess which one I did.. DUD
57truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:55 AM   #3634
57truckguy

Hey Mcmurphy Lokar sells them every day.. Got one on my 700R4 also.. real slick/
Old 11-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #3635
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Dude, your tranny dip stick is just slick, what a cool idea there.
Thanks man, it is pretty slick.

Quote:
Alan,, the TV cable should bottom out just a tad before WOT as it will stretch with time and age.. or readjust it in every couple of months for a while, Guess which one I did.. DUD
I've got it adjusted to bottom out right at WOT. This tranny is used and so is the cable. I will recheck after a few runs. Thanks for the input.

The family just got back from a trip to Cherokee NC and Gatlinburg TN. Here's a few pics of the trip. Stopped by Stars Cars in Gatlinburg they are the actual cars used in the movies. It was cool.

The General Lee was #6 and I also went to Cooters Place in Gatlinburg.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #3636
Alan's Classic

More
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #3637
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Great pictures Alan
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #3638
flips72

you gotta love the smokeys, are the old buildings in cades cove?
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #3639
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strodder View Post
Great pictures Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
you gotta love the smokeys, are the old buildings in cades cove?
No, they are on the Roaring Fork motor trail in Gatlinburg. It's a 5 mile drive on a oneway road. It's awesome up there. It started raining half way thru so it cut our picture taking time in half. I wanted to go to Cades Cove. I went there as a kid and wanted my kids to see it. Maybe next time.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:46 AM   #3640
allaboutchevelles

Thats cool alan, I wish I had known about that car place when I was up there a few years ago. Im headed to boone this weekend to get the christmas tree. My arms need a break from block sanding the roof anyways.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #3641
scotts62
One day...

Cool pics thank for sharing!

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #3642
McMurphy

"It was Gaitlinburg in mid-July, I'd just hit town and my throat was dry, so I thought I'd stop and have myself a brew..." A Boy Named Sue, by Johnny Cash.

As soon as I saw you post that, that song came to mind LOL.
If I am ever again down in that neck of the country, I will certainly look that Stars Cars place up!! I probably would have filled the camera storage up just in that place alone, not to mention the scenic shots you took too!!

I bet it was a great trip.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 11-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #3643
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Alan, You look good sitting there in the General Lee !! Was Daisy Duke available for pictures???
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:34 PM   #3644
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

great pics Alan...i've been on multiple family vacations to the Smokies (Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge) through the years...my dad used to take us up for the All Chevy/GMC Truck Nats. as well...would love to take my truck up there sometime for a cruise...my wife and i got married last year, & we hope to make a trip again next year with just the two of us...a few years ago when we were dating, we went with my mom and stayed at our timeshare...we hiked to a waterfall in Cades Cove...lots of fun...here's some pics i'll share:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...13/Gatlinburg/

but i have to say, i've done probably 80% of the things up there, yet i still haven't been to Stars Cars or Cooter's...are those pics from the Acquarium too?

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:56 AM   #3645
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles View Post
Thats cool alan, I wish I had known about that car place when I was up there a few years ago. Im headed to boone this weekend to get the christmas tree. My arms need a break from block sanding the roof anyways.
The car place is neat and worth the trip. Some cool cars, but not as many as I expected. Still glad I went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts62 View Post
Cool pics thank for sharing!

Quote:
"It was Gaitlinburg in mid-July, I'd just hit town and my throat was dry, so I thought I'd stop and have myself a brew..." A Boy Named Sue, by Johnny Cash.

As soon as I saw you post that, that song came to mind LOL.
If I am ever again down in that neck of the country, I will certainly look that Stars Cars place up!! I probably would have filled the camera storage up just in that place alone, not to mention the scenic shots you took too!!

I bet it was a great trip.
I took a few more pics than I posted of coarse, but my camera died. I took pics of the important ones to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba327 View Post
Alan, You look good sitting there in the General Lee !! Was Daisy Duke available for pictures???
Nah, she was waiting for me in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likaroc13 View Post
great pics Alan...i've been on multiple family vacations to the Smokies (Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge) through the years...my dad used to take us up for the All Chevy/GMC Truck Nats. as well...would love to take my truck up there sometime for a cruise...my wife and i got married last year, & we hope to make a trip again next year with just the two of us...a few years ago when we were dating, we went with my mom and stayed at our timeshare...we hiked to a waterfall in Cades Cove...lots of fun...here's some pics i'll share:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...13/Gatlinburg/

but i have to say, i've done probably 80% of the things up there, yet i still haven't been to Stars Cars or Cooter's...are those pics from the Acquarium too?
Cool pics, thanks for the link!! Yes, that is the aquarium. The penquins meet us at the door. We couldn't pet them, they were just walking them around. We liked this aquarium the best. We've been to the one in Atlanta and Chattanooga. It's smaller than the rest, but has the same stuff and easier to get in and out. I'd like to do some hiking as well. It was a short trip. One night in Cherokee and 2 nights in Gatlinburg. It's been 15 years since the last time I was there. Vacations are too dog gone expensive.

Cooters Place was the highest on my priority list. He has a General Lee as well, but not an original. We just happened up on the Stars Cars. My favorite shows are the Dukes and Smokey and the Bandit (original). I was happy.

I had Shannon come over and help me drop the fuel tank out so I could bolt the bed wood down. That's a lot of hardware. I'm pretty sure I can check that off the list. I was going to have one of my girls get in the bed and hold the carriage bolts while I started the nuts. They wouldn't have the patience yet for that. I just laid blocks of wood on the bolts. Now I can hook up the sending unit and reinstall the tank.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2011, 01:52 AM   #3646
57truckguy

jUST SO HAPPEN TO GET TO Piegion forge one year a day or two before a truck show, showed up// we were going there to I & I one weekend .. spend the whole weekend sitting out along to road in our lawn chairs watching the cars go by.. Had a great time and didn't get to go anywhere as the traffic was bad.. we've been back several times and it just doesn't seem the same without the trucks.. LOL Oh byt the way the bed looks great.. I've been to the cars museum (sp) great place to spend a day.. or two maybe. Did you see the corvette next to wall up front 92 I think and less than 20000 miles..
Old 11-25-2011, 01:52 AM   #3647
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post

[COLOR="blue"]Cool pics, thanks for the link!! Yes, that is the aquarium. The penquins meet us at the door. We couldn't pet them, they were just walking them around. We liked this aquarium the best. We've been to the one in Atlanta and Chattanooga. It's smaller than the rest, but has the same stuff and easier to get in and out. I'd like to do some hiking as well. It was a short trip. One night in Cherokee and 2 nights in Gatlinburg. It's been 15 years since the last time I was there. Vacations are too dog gone expensive.

Cooters Place was the highest on my priority list. He has a General Lee as well, but not an original. We just happened up on the Stars Cars. My favorite shows are the Dukes and Smokey and the Bandit (original). I was happy.
cool, thanks for the info....we ran out of time & didn't make it to the acquarium the last time we went...we've also been to the Atlanta & Chattanooga acquariums...the acquarium here in Charleston is nice but not as much stuff as i would've expected, however the one in Myrtle Beach (Ripley's) is quite nice...my wife is all about acquariums & zoos, lol...she really liked Chattanooga's the best i think....and i know whatcha mean about expensive vacations...glad ya'll had a good time!

btw, the bed looks great!

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:28 AM   #3648
flips72

bed looks awesome, great job
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #3649
65Custom

Bed looks really nice, great detail everything really pops with the hardware

My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366677

I must be
65Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #3650
McMurphy

I just commented to the wife about how large your thread was, and how many years it spans, as well as the quality of the work you have done.
I commented on how you have a practically brand new truck and she returned with it probably cost as much as a new truck too...

So I was wondering if you have kept a running log of expenditures on your rig?
I have done this with my Tempest; itemized by part, date, cost, and odometer reading.
I have also started this with the truck, though odo reading will be moot at this time since I have rolled it back. (though in the future I will add to that column)

I dont wish to be nosy, frankly I can imagine what you have into it so far (not counting $$ for the labor of course) I was just wondering if you were calculating it as you went?

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest