The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2021, 05:24 PM   #1
RostaRob

1959 Carpet Install

Would it be possible to get some pictures of what some of your carpet installs looks like on the drivers side? I'm wondering how people handled their brake pedal and steering column areas. Is it possible or advisable to just unbolt the brake pedal from the lever in the engine bay, cut a small hole in the carpet and pass pedal back through? No issues with braking system releasing any pressure when pedal is removed? Sorry for the basic question, I just want to make sure I do this right the first time. I don't I want to remove the steering column so I will probably just have to cut that. Do I put the cover plate at the base of the steering column on the outside of the carpet and screw through it? Thanks for any and all help. Rob.
RostaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:01 PM   #2
Black_Sheep

Re: 1959 Carpet Install

I cut the hole for the brake pedal and installed the pedal afterwards, no problem. I also cut from the steering column up, you can see the line in the pic. I used industrial Velcro on the underside to hold the seam together, it’s less noticeable than my pic after getting the sides butted together. The trim ring is from the plumbing section at Home Depot, it’s plated plastic and holds securely without using any screws.
Attached Images

Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:02 PM   #3
RostaRob

Thanks for the reply Black Sheep. Nobody else responded so I went ahead and tackled it on my own, never having done a few things before in the process. I used a soldering iron to burn holes where the brake pedal went through and also where the emergency brake rod passed through. I disconnected the e-brake (just a couple of clevis bolts/pins), pulled the steering column (just a couple of bolts and electrical pigtail). After I cut the round hole for the steering column I made a small horizontal incision from the brake pedal hole over to the black cover plate. Just wide enough to slip the carpet over the brake pedal and down the shaft. I did try to remove the brake pedal but the splines on the shaft were on there pretty good and I could get it off. It's do-able but I just didn't want to run the risk of messing up the splines on the yoke or shaft. You can kind of see a little bit of ruffled carpet (about an inch) to the left of the brake pedal shaft. All said and done it didn't come out to bad. Thanks again for your reply and picture. Rob
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2021, 08:48 PM   #4
Black_Sheep

Nice!
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:47 PM   #5
Missyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostaRob View Post
Thanks for the reply Black Sheep. Nobody else responded so I went ahead and tackled it on my own, never having done a few things before in the process. I used a soldering iron to burn holes where the brake pedal went through and also where the emergency brake rod passed through. I disconnected the e-brake (just a couple of clevis bolts/pins), pulled the steering column (just a couple of bolts and electrical pigtail). After I cut the round hole for the steering column I made a small horizontal incision from the brake pedal hole over to the black cover plate. Just wide enough to slip the carpet over the brake pedal and down the shaft. I did try to remove the brake pedal but the splines on the shaft were on there pretty good and I could get it off. It's do-able but I just didn't want to run the risk of messing up the splines on the yoke or shaft. You can kind of see a little bit of ruffled carpet (about an inch) to the left of the brake pedal shaft. All said and done it didn't come out to bad. Thanks again for your reply and picture. Rob
that looks really nice! not to highjack your post but do you have a photo of your gas pedal and how its mounted before the carpet? It looks like what I am trying to use but trying to process options of how to mount it. Thanks!
Missyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:53 PM   #6
_Ogre

Quote:
I used a soldering iron to burn holes where the brake pedal went through and also where the emergency brake rod passed through
Great idea! I use the hot nail on material and foam. Any thing that can be heated with a propane torch, can open a hole

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:50 PM   #7
56 3100

looks good rosta. what brand carpet did you?
56 3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:35 PM   #8
56 3100

looks good rosta. what brand carpet did you use ?
Old 04-29-2021, 07:39 PM   #9
RostaRob

Is this what you are talking about?
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2021, 07:40 PM   #10
RostaRob

Its been awhile ago that I bought it but I'm pretty sure I purchased it from Brothers.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:11 PM   #11
56 3100

i wonder if they use Auto Custom Carpet(ACC)?
Old 04-29-2021, 10:28 PM   #12
RostaRob

I'm not sure but they are running a special through the end but f this month. Just use the code SPRING21 when checking out.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:07 PM   #13
Missyblue

Quote:
Is this what you are talking about?
Yes. Is it mounted straight to firewall? Mine seems like it wont work that way but I have the large center hump. Thinking I might have to make a braket or heat and bend the pedal a little

Last edited by Missyblue; 04-30-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:26 PM   #14
RostaRob

Yes it is mounted directly to the firewall. I can send more pictures if you'd like. Is yours a 1958?
Old 04-30-2021, 07:32 PM   #15
my56chevytruck

Quote:
you did a nice job
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:21 PM   #16
Missyblue

Quote:
Yes it is mounted directly to the firewall. I can send more pictures if you'd like. Is yours a 1958?
Ok thanks! And no a 57 so maybe different
Old 05-02-2021, 06:40 PM   #17
dsraven

55-59 cabs are all the same in this area.
just for giggles, if you really want a pro look around the floor mounted items you can have someone with a walking foot sewing machine sew binding on the edges of the holes you cut in. it finishes the edges well. prolly wouldn't break the bank either. then, because the hole may be a little larger than it was you may see the felt/underlayment/floor metal so, before you install the carper over those areas slip a same colored (or black racer tape) piece of dull sheen lighter material under the dimmer switch or whatever before you screw them down. this will also help with fibres getting into the mechanisms of the moving parts like dimmers or through floor pedal rods. some 2 sided tape on those little pieces will help keep them in place
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote