The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2021, 10:54 AM   #1
Gregski
Post Whore

What cab mounts do you recommend for a '54?

I'll be darned to send more money to LMC for their junk, seems like they just sell you random non grade 5 hardware with some miscellaneous rubber pieces, ha ha

so what are the best cab mounts to use on the '54? I am not a fan of the red hard as a rock stuff either just want some quality rubber bushings and if you found what size they are maybe we can cheat and buy something for leaf springs or something like that

don't mean to sound so negative I am just frustrated with the lack of quality in the aftermarket stuff I've been getting lately that doesn't last but a couple months and then falls apart, no joke

please and thank you,
Greg
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 11:58 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: What cab mounts do you recommend for a '54?

You don't need anything better than grade 2 for cab mounts. or fender bolts or anything that doesn't involve suspension steering or holding the engine and trans in place.

I used to install a lot of Valley (brand) tow hitches on cars in the 70's. Every one of them came with grade 2 bolts. I never heard of one shearing off while towing something. I broke a couple running them down way too tight with my impact on the first set I installed and torqued them after that but the only issue with grade 2 in most cases is overtightening them.

Replace them if you want to but it isn't necessary.

As from buying from someone who sells the best they can find rather than the price that gives the most profit I'll put Wes at Classic Heartbeat at the top of the list for searching out and selling the best quality pieces he can find. If he won't use it on the trucks he builds he won't sell it to you either. https://www.classicheartbeat.com/

He is sometimes a one man show as he doesn't always have a helper so don't get in an uproar if he doesn't get right back to you.

Or I have never heard an actual complaint about the quality of what Chevs of the40's sells either.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:03 PM   #3
vintovka

Re: What cab mounts do you recommend for a '54?

This may be a bit strange but I used grade 5 bolts on mine and (believe it or not) 4x4" squares of Lowes Choicedeck as cab pads. Now mine is on a GMC K10 chassis but the bolts and decking have been great with no noticeable shrinkage, sagging or coming loose. FWIW I used solid delrin blocks to bring bed up to level and they work great as well but much more expensive than decking. Given the extreme rust potential i did rattle can all the pads and bolts just to be sure.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote