The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2019, 04:29 PM   #26
whitedog76

Re: Crew cab build

Mongo, it’s been a long time since I came across those pictures. I believe they were both conversions done in the 50’s. The long one was a 4000 series truck, I think it was an old railroad unit. The short one was an airport tug.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:22 PM   #27
dsraven

the crew cabs were not built by GM as far as I know. they were sublet to another shop. ordered by utilities companies and the like. it would be great to find one now though, even to see how they were built. use the roof section from a panel truck maybe?
good idea on the 3/4 or 1 ton long wheel base unit. some had the 9 ft box and could possibly accept a crew cab and a short box, maybe not a standard length box but something that would look "right" and still fit the bill.
another option would be to use the front 1/2 of an envoy and fab the rear part from the place on the frame where the front slips over the rear frame section and they are welded together. that could possibly allow no bump up in the frame like the envoy has. of course it would require something back there but maybe less kick up than the envoy and, if cross braced well, less frame flex.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:38 PM   #28
mick53

Those are cool but I don't need room for 5 women in my truck. I'm not as young as I used to be.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote