The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2007, 11:02 PM   #1
drivethechevy

my 69 70 and 68 project

im in high school and im restoring my frist truck bymyself and my second truck ever, my frist truck was helping my dad rerestore his 1971 c/10 custom deluxe 4x4 which is my dream truck and nowing that someday it will be mine is amazing, but about my project.
last spring i bought a 1968 chevy c20 from a farmer near my grandparents and its in really rough condition but for $50 dollars it makes the perfect daily driver. and its great for donating parts to the truck im restoring
the truck that i am restoring is gonna be somewhat mix matched year wise but thats not a big deal to me, its a product of 4 trucks for parts not counting what ever i get from my daily driver, the frame is from a 69 the front end and the box are from a 68 and the cab is a 70 im putting the front suspension from a 73-87 in it so i have disk brakes. the truck will be 2wd with a mild performance built 350 it will be lowered and be flat black with 2 gloss white racing stripes on the hood and tailgate and it has a wood bed heres pics of where i was at a few weeks ago with the frame and pics of the trucks parts are coming from

the green 68 is my dd and the yellow 69 is the frame donor everything else was to far gone for me to want to mess with
this is the 68 that to front clip and box are coming from alongwith alot of other micilaneous parts
this is the 70 where the cab and more parts ar coming from its a nebraska truck so its really clean, this truck i have yet to pick up and pay for
this is a pic of the 69's frame its a c10 2wd frame, this pic is a couple weeks old right now im in the process of putting the front suspension and disks on the front and the bed is off and the frame is all cleaned up and almost ready to be sandblasted and painted

i will try and get some more pics up to show my progress but i dont have a camera to use very often

1971 chevy k10 custom deluxe
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=341257
1968 chevy k/10 fleet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=334731
1948 desoto custom coupe fluid drive(family heirloom)

Last edited by drivethechevy; 11-03-2007 at 11:05 PM. Reason: fixed a photo
drivethechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:59 PM   #2
clemson71guy

Re: my 69 70 and 68 project

looks like you have a good truck to start with and alot of trucks to work with and get parts off of. so what are the plans for this one
clemson71guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:42 PM   #3
Cyclone44
Step Brother

You should be able to make a nice truck out of all those parts, I have one that I drive everyday that's put together with alot of different years 67-72...George
Cyclone44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:01 AM   #4
drivethechevy

my plans right now for the one im restoring is to get all the body work done and paint the whole truck flat black with 2 gloss white racing stripes, really just a cheap paint job that i can do at home in our poleshed, im doing a little bit of custom work on the truck but not much, im lowering the frame but i dont know how much yet, i wat to put a 5 bolt posi in back and im working on putting a front suspension and disk brake set from a late 70's chevy, in my welding class at school i am going to weld up a custom bumper for it, and then also in that class i am going to modify the taillights to be cadillac lights cause i really like how they looked on one of the other builds shown on here, im putting a set of 5 bolt 68 camaro rallies on it and the bucket seats from the same 68 camaro, im puting a 68 grille and front clip on the truck and im adding custom gauges that my dad used in his 71 dd when i was a little kid, and then i am putting a custom welded and carpeted center consul in the cab as well along with a cd player.
the engine is gonna be for now just a stock 283 from a 65 chevy imp 4door and a t350 tranny from the same car.
the truck is not going to have air conditioning but it will have power brakes and power stearing.
eventualy when i get better at airbrushing i am gonna do some custom airbrushing on the tailgate glove box door and under the hood, the cab i have that im gonna use already has a shved firewall and i have a bunch of highperformance parts that will slowly make there way into the enging compartment, like a becool radiator full msd ignition set and a older set of world heads, all preasents from my grandpa of parts that were left over after he closed his autoparts store when i was about 12, theres a few other things that i hoe to do to this truck someday like put in a built 350 with an overdrive tranny but those arnt part of my budget right now.
my dd right now is getting a cab treatment in my welding class at school right now we are putting in new rockers, floorpan patches and cab corners, the real odball on the old farm c20 is there is a hole clear through the back of the cab and it doesnt go through the bed but there was a matching hole in the original gastank when i got the truck, we found this hole when the gas tank was replaced do to a bad leak when i filled the tank up the first time, about 6 gallons down on the new carpet i had just put in, i was thriled about that haha

1968 chevy k/10 fleet
Old 11-19-2007, 10:04 PM   #5
drivethechevy

i just got new fenders and a new 69 grille for my truck, its all acctualy used but its all in great shape so untill i get a 67-68 front end thiswill be on my truck, i found a new rust free cab for $100 from one of my friends dads that he has had buried in the back of his barn since he made a trailer out of the box and frame back in the 80's, and im starting to weld in patch pannels in the bed and quarters of my daily driver 68,
i am also saving up my money to have another friends dad who owns a local resto shop to help me sandblast and paint up the frame and then help me install the rest of my suspention so i will have a fully ready frame hopefully by the the end of january
i also might be trade a 63 dodge with a big block for a 67 impala ss that is original and rust free body decent intirior and no motor and with that car comes a 71 custom deluxe that is in tought shape but runs and drives its a 4X4 with a 350 and the 350 has an offy cross ram ( an oldschool one not a remake) and 2 holley double pumpers all matched to a 4 speed tranny and dana 44 axles, i am really hoping the guy doesnt change his mind on this trade cause those cars for my car with the addition of me givvin him $250 is an amazing deal
at least i think it is

1968 chevy k/10 fleet
Old 11-20-2007, 02:05 AM   #6
rss396

Wow! High School? That gold 68 sure looks good other than the cab. Straight and nice mouldings.The cab must be pretty bad inside or I am sure you would just build it. You got the vision to build what you want at a very young age.
rss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:30 AM   #7
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

I think that gold '68 might be a 50th Anniversary model. Maybe some others might chime in and help out on this one.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:29 PM   #8
drivethechevy

i saw another thread that had virtualy the same truck as the gold and white 68 and every one was telling the owner of the truck that it is a 50th aniversary truck as well, ive looked in a few books me and my dad have colected and my granpa used to work at a chevy dealer from 64-73 and he cant remeber anything about any 50th aniversary trucks, so i guess what im saying is that id like to know for shure thats what it is like by seeing an add for one from way back in the day or something, ortherwise for me its a parts truck
theres really nothing wrong with the truck i guess and i could just as easily restore it but i need the parts for the one im restoring and mcdonalds paychecks arnt that great once i take out my gas money and taxes, but the cab of this truck needs new rockers and corners and it needs floor patches it has the original posi in it still but the brakes are rusted closed, and the tranny is shot, but the 283 in the truck is original with 145000documented miles its a one owner truck not counting me, and the only signifigant dent on the whole truck is where the back of a grain truck hit the tailgate so the tailgate is shot but other wise the truck is straight as an arrow and rusty as an old barn nail(thanks to a minnesotan farm life) i guess if i dont part this truck out cause i find its a 50th i will probly be inclided to sell it so i can afford another parts truck, and i am so deep in projects, with my trucks, the constant keep up ofmy dads 71, the slow work on my dads 66 caprice, the even slower work on my 70 impala, and now possibly the work on a 67 impala ss, not to mention working on my friends cars to list them off( 1968 plymouth road runner 383 4 speed, 1972 ford f100 sport truck, 1964 ford galaxy, 1981 chevy elcamino, 1992 cevy s10, 1951 gmc 3/4 ton, and a pair of 1971 olds cutlass's one is an s with a 455 auto with air, the other is a supreme with a 350 rocket and a 4 speed bone stock)
im not the only high school student in midwestern minnesota with an eye for classics and the will to restore them at any cost reasonable to our budget haha

1968 chevy k/10 fleet
Old 02-15-2008, 09:36 AM   #9
1LoC10
Insert Title Here

any progress

1000 pics of 67-72's>> http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z...-72/?start=all <<
1LoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:00 PM   #10
drivethechevy

ive been off my computer and out of my shop for a while cause my dad needed the shop for his stuff and he does own the place so my stuff was moved outside to weater one more winter
my 69 doner frame is clean of all oil dirt and old lines, i have found a rust free cab for 75 bucks that im getting from a friends dad who is restoring a 72 chenney(cant spell)
so i have a cab now i got 2 very good nearly rust free fenders and a good original 69 grille, all 3 were free
i bought a running 350 from another friends dad for 200 bucks
my unkle has a disk brake 2wd 74 chevy set aside for me once spring comes
for 25 bucks i bought a set of 72 chevy bucketseats thati need to recover and i also got the center consul and i got a new unused tailgate for free from the same guy i bought the seats from as help on my project, really nice guy
me and a friend have started boody work on the fenders and on one of the doors they are ready to be primed after i do a little tinning and shrinking on them, old skool is the only way to go bondo is worthless
i got a positrac rearend that needs to be gone through but will go onto the frame and be sandblasted painted then rhino linered
the entire underside of the truck will be rinolinered except for the wood of the bed
ive been saving my money for the drop springs and shocks the new rims and tiers all the paint supplies and any other parts i will need
the refined plans for the truck are lowered still unshure on how much, it will be flat black outside with 6 bolt chevy ralley rims, intirior will hopefully feature all white guage faces, a radio delete, black bucket seats, camaro wood style stering wheel, gloss black interior,factory style tinted windows, no power options ,wood bed, positrac,auto tranny, 350
look is to be completely stock apearing copo style quiet exaust instead of the trend at my highschool and in my area for loud exaust
i want people to look at the truck, not hear the exaust or the radio
sry its been so log since an update

1968 chevy k/10 fleet
Old 02-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #11
RCbowtie69

looks like you have plenty parts of to get you started, have fun with the project,
RCbowtie69 is offline   Reply With Quote