The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2004, 11:34 PM   #1
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

Question Ctrl Arm Bushings

The Plan: 73+ Ball Joints in my '69 Ctrl Arms, PowerSteering Box from 73+, Steering Components from 73+, 2.5" dropped spindles from Early Classic up front, 4" Rear Drop Springs, Shock Relocators, Adjustable Pan-Hard.

****The Question: I've read in some other posts that stock ctrl arm bushings are steel and will actually result in a better handling truck (just a harder ride). Is this true??? or should I go with Polyurathane from Energy Suspension or something?

Stock or Poly???? Ctrl Arm Bushings? A hard ride doesn't matter to me I want it to handle a best as I can get it

Thanks guys - this board is great to newbe's to the 67-72 crowd
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 07:42 AM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

If you're using a set of 72 or earlier control arms, yes, they are steel bushings. Steel is very durable and theoretically will handle better due to no deflection.

There are currently no urethane replacement bushings made for 72 and earlier control arms, just stock steel replacements.

This has been argued about on here before. No one makes a urethane bushing for the older arms. Some folks advertise a urethane front end kit for 72 and earlier trucks, but they don't include urethane control arm bushings, just urethane sway bar bushings, tie rod boots and stuff.

Every time someone argues about it because they saw an ad for urethane 67-72 bushings, I tell them to call and order a set, and if they are urethane when they arrive, I'll pay them 50 bucks. I still have my 50 bucks, no one has ever seen a urethane replacement.

Your suspension plan looks like a good one. Only one thought, I personally, like to use either a Summit brand spindle or BellTech on 73+ applications. Don't get me wrong, I use ECE spindles a lot on earlier pre 73 trucks, including my current truck, but Summit sells their brand of 73+ spindles for much cheaper than ECE sells theirs for. Summit spindles are reboxed Western brand spindles.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:44 AM   #3
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

If your wanting to build a G-machine then there is alot more to it than just throwing parts at it.
I recomend a book by Herb Adams called Chassis Engineering, chassis design, building and tuning for high performance handling.
You might be suprised what you learn, save some money and wind up with a better handling truck to boot.
You can get it for about $15 from Amazon.com
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 07:50 AM   #4
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

Thanks TX

Thanks TX - I didn't know about the Summit spindles. I just thought ECE because they are garunteed for life - but I'm guessing that "Western brand" or BellTech are too - or are at least of the same quality.

Old 10-12-2004, 08:01 AM   #5
Joe67
67 is sold

Hey Ark. I'm in the process of something very similar on my truck.
I went with the front end rebuild kit (rubber) from www.p-s-t.com.
I had to pay extra for inner tie rods and sleeves, but the kit has gone together well so far.

Welcome

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 08:38 AM   #6
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

67c10Step

The PST kit came with Rubber upper and lower ctrl arm bushings??? or steel ones?

The only problem with using the kit is that i'm using the '69 ctrl arms and the 73+ ball joints/spindles/steering components - so it is hard to buy '69 bushings in a '73+ kit

Old 10-12-2004, 08:41 AM   #7
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

Exclamation Tx

Who is making the original Equip steel bushings for these? Moog? - i'm sure that LMC isn't selling moog products and i'm not sure which part strores carry them either?

how's your step side handle with the 4.5/6 in drop -- it isn't too much drop, I saw the pic of you truck and it doesn't look that bad, but in ECE the 4.5/6 looks real low. This is my everyday driver...so i was thinking 2.5/4 but now i'm temped to go 3.5/5 with the spindles and a set of 1' lower front springs.

Thanks for any input

Old 10-12-2004, 09:42 AM   #8
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

You can buy Moog at most parts stores. Here, we have O-Reilley Auto Parts that stocks Moog stuff. By the way, Moog is the toppest notchest mostest bestest stuff for suspension.

My truck has no ill effects at all. I drive it all the time and drive it hard too.

I have 2.5 inch ECE spindles and 2 inch Summit brand front springs (actually reboxed Ground Force springs) and 6 inch rear springs. Mine sits like you see in the picture in my signature. I even run the same size tires as ECE trucks show on their stance section of their webpage.

I have a 4.5 front drop with my 2 inch springs, ECE actually uses a 1.5 spring to get a 4 inch drop. Also, my big block is very heavy, so it might weigh it down a little lower too. It's great though. No regrets at all.