The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2022, 12:11 PM   #1
bandit0067

5.3 with DFM, should I buy or pass......

Guys, looking to purchase a "new" truck. Found a low milage 2020 Silverado LTZ with 5.3 EcoTec3 with DFM. At my age , this is the last truck I plan to purchase. Never had a late model with either AFM or DFM and wondering do they work well or plagued with problems. I know SOME of the newer technologies work good all the time and some present problems as the time and milage pile up, what are your opinions please. thanks
bandit0067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:02 PM   #2
LS short box

Re: 5.3 with DFM, should I buy or pass......

My previous truck was a 2015 Silverado 6.2 with DOD (displacement on demand and bought it new) which you can search via the web and there has been some failures of the lifters. I didn't have any issues. Traded at 65,000 miles. My current truck a 2020 Silverado 6.2 has DOD. 25,000 miles. No issues.
I assume the 20 you are looking at has a 8 speed trans. If you go over to LS1tech.com the 8 speed gets no love at all. My 15 had the 8 speed. It always shifted hard when cold on the 1-2 shift and 2-3 shift. Also some down shifts were harsh. Had it into the dealership 3-4 times for updates but it never seemed to make much difference. Never failed but I traded it after the warranty was up.
My 2020 has the 6.2 and the 10 speed trans and it shifts like butter.
I'm a died in the wool GM guy.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:53 PM   #3
bandit0067

Thanks Ls, my current truck is a 69 GMC my Dad bought brand new in 69. Been a GM guy myself for over 45 years. I remember GMs venture into dropping off cylinders back in the eighties and it was a disaster. I think current LS series engines are a great evolution of the small block. Just at the moment I am very cautious about getting a truck with DFM and wondering if I do and have problems someday can that be easily bypassed and continue to use the truck. I have learned that due to a computer chip shortage GM made lots of trucks for 21 and 22 without DFM......true or not true. I thinking a may need to pass on this one. Thanks for the info on the transmission as I am truly ignorant on those 8 and 10 speeds also, so will look for a 10 speed model. I don't really want or need a 4wd as I remember that alone cost more when repairs needed. I don't do off road and we rarely have weather that calls for 4wd. BUT, there seems to be an awful lot of them in my price range at the dealerships in my area. Im retired and do not do much driving as I use and the plan is for this to be my last truck.
Old 12-09-2022, 05:44 PM   #4
Texasdeere

I had a 2019 with the 8 speed. I'm pretty sure all the 2020 with V8's and up had 10 speeds.
Texasdeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 06:20 PM   #5
LS short box

Get the VIN number and any GM dealer can create a window sticker. It will have all the details of the trucks build. Also they can detail all the service work done at the dealer ship.
My 2020 is 4WD. It works well. Auto 4WD is nice in MN this time of year. It's seamless when on snow and ice. Unless its a low spec work truck you can't find a 2WD around here.
You can buy a plug in device that will stop the DOD function.
You can also buy a kit the deletes all the hard parts of the DOD. This requires the heads being removed to replace the lifters. Great time for bigger cam LOL.
I really like the 6.2. The only down side is that GM says it needs premium. I've got 22 mpg at 60-65 mph on a regular basis.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:31 PM   #6
bandit0067

Thanks LS. My research is showing almost all 1500s in the 2017-2022 used models I am looking at have the DOD-DFM on the 5.3s. Seems if I want a 'new' truck it will be equipped with that technology. So, what, get one and deal with its problems/replacement/bypass whenever in the future. Is that what I see an item called a Pulsar is for, bypassing the function. You are correct in that most all models I see 2020 and above have the 10 speed listed.
My 69 is a premium only now truck, so not a problem for me.
Do the 2500 HD trucks also have this DFM function as standard. Seems it would not be necessary with trucks mostly used for heavy loads.
Old 12-10-2022, 05:57 PM   #7
LS short box

If you are looking at trucks from a dealer and if the dealer uses car fax you can open the car fax report and it will have a copy of the window sticker.
I don't know about the 2500's. If I had to guess I would say no DOD.
Old 12-16-2022, 11:03 AM   #8
bandit0067

Ok guys, update. I cannot find anything in the year models 2017 to 2022s that do not come with the DFM type system as OEM. U tube is showing kits that allow replacement parts needed to totally bypass/eliminate that system permanently. That seems to be the norm when the 2000s thru 2010s break down and heads are pulled. Seems to be the eight speed tranny also became the norm for v8s unless certain options ordered that called for the ten speed when it became available . Appears highly likely I will have to surfiace having both if I want a used truck in these model years. A salesman at the dealership said he thought the six speed was still used with some of the 2500s HD and up, ordered.