The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2007, 10:40 PM   #1
Todd_a

Dropping my '64 stepside without messing with the suspension...

I wasn't able to drive it before because the front end was worn out so bad it was eating up tires, so I had the upper and lower ball joints replaced and got it alligned and now it is all better.

Next I got rid of the nasty bucket seats that were in there and the crappy center console and found me a decent bench seat and made a bracket for it and installed that last weekend.

This weekend I decided it was time to get rid of the 4 wheel drive look it was sporting. I had been looking for some drop spindles that would bolt in using my brand new ball joints but apparently there are none. So that narrowed my options. I don't have unlimited funds to purchase an air bag suspension, so I am left with springs and I am not fond of the ride quality you have to sacrifice to drop with springs. The only option left is to drop the body.

I read up on body drops and they are usually a couple of inches up to about 3 inches at the most. I want more! So I decided to see if I could get 5" of drop and retain the stock suspension.

So here I go....

Here is a starting photo so you can see the ugly 4 wheel drivin' look it has....

DAY 1 (9/1/07):

Today I chopped up the cab and the front "frame horns" that hold the front of the body and the bumper on and let her fall.

This is during the cutting...

And this is at the end of the evening as she sits now. The front is actually lower than it will be because there is nothing supporting the front right now. The back portion of the cab is screwed together for now, until I can get finished welding it, so it is in the position that it will be. I think the front will come up an inch or maybe 2 from here when done.

Last edited by Todd_a; 09-04-2007 at 10:45 PM.
Todd_a is offline   Reply With Quote