The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2021, 05:14 PM   #1
frenchy51

Soft ride help '74 K5

I have a K5 Blazer that I use as a daily driver and I would like to have a softer ride. It's never in 4wd so don't need or want a lift. I've researched soft springs, ie-Tough Country EZ, but they all involve a lift. I wouldn't mind a minor (2"?) lift if it would give me a softer ride. Anyone out there have any advice or experience with getting a softer ride in a '74 K5?? Thanks
Attached Images

1977 GMC HeavyHalf
several adopted orphans

Last edited by frenchy51; 04-03-2021 at 05:17 PM. Reason: spelling
frenchy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:41 PM   #2
LT7A

Re: Soft ride help '74 K5

Great looking Blazer! I don't think you need a lift either, it looks good how it sits. There are a few spring manufacturers who will make you a new set of springs for stock ride height and utilize a higher number of leaves that are thinner to do it. it ultimately supports the truck, but gives a little more compliance. Also, if you haven't switched to Bilstein shocks, do it. Not cheap, but you'll notice the difference on your first drive. Probably within a block or two. I'll take a look at my notes and see if I wrote down the name of any of those spring manufacturers but I'm pretty sure that Alcan will make a set like I described above. Good luck and let us know what you figure out.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:53 PM   #3
LT7A

General Spring is another manufacturer you can try. Also, the Teflon buttons and or tape between the leaves can help them move independently and give you a more compliant ride. Off Road Design cells greasable leaf spring bolts. With these old rigs, I figure every little bit helps. There is even Teflon paint and you can pull your leaf springs apart and paint them individually but I'm not sure how durable it is or how much of an effect it has.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:24 PM   #4
frenchy51

Thanks for the advice. I think my Blazer now has the stock springs front and rear but I added a 2" block on the rear to get a better stance. I now have DES shocks front and rear. Do you think Bilsteins for "stock" ride height would work and provide a softer less bouncy ride without changing springs? Or should I go with something like Tuff Country EZ ride 2" lift with their Shocks?? I don't mind spending some money for something that will "work".
Thanks so much for your input!
1977 GMC HeavyHalf
several adopted orphans
Old 04-03-2021, 10:46 PM   #5
SilverMiner

I'd like to reinforce what LT7A said and suggest you go just a little bit further: if your goal is an ultimate ride with a squarebody, the experts you need to consult are the fine folks at Off Road Design. I haven't attempted exactly what you propose, but the ORD boys have helped both myself and many others with their suspension goals.

Give them a call and tell them what you wish to achieve and I'm confident they will make it occur, including the correct shocks. They have more institutional knowledge and experience with squarebody suspension than anyone I can think of. Their custom made springs aren't necessarily cheap or fast, but well worth the time, money and effort. I wish I was a paid spokesman, but really just a happy customer over numerous projects.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:01 AM   #6
frenchy51

Thanks for the replies! Calling ORD on Monday-Happy Easter to all
1977 GMC HeavyHalf
several adopted orphans
Old 04-05-2021, 06:09 AM   #7
LT7A

ORD has some cool innovative stuff. And you can call Bilstein direct. They have an east coast office, Georgia or NC or something, and one in San Diego. I called the east coast office one morning that I was up extra early and their west coast office wasn't open yet. I talked with the rep for a little bit about my Jeep and he said to call the guys at the San Diego office. Because a couple of them had similar years of Jeeps and they would test the Jeep shocks on their own Jeeps and then bring back the results so the company could dial them in. Cool to be able to talk directly like that and to get first hand knowledge. Also that the company doesn't just use the vehicle specifications to design the shock but sends it out for real world testing, even with their employees.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:40 PM   #8
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Rebuild your shackles front and rear with new bushings and hardware. The bolts and sleeves rust together and bind up. Also the rear bushing (in the frame) on the front leaf springs could be egged out or torn and you can’t see to tell without disassembly. Poly bushings work well. You may have already done this but if not I’d start there before swapping springs.

Edit to add, I left out the stock springs. Rebuild them too while you’ve got it apart. Energy Suspension sells kits for all this and they work.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build

Last edited by 68Timber; 04-06-2021 at 08:58 PM.
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:58 PM   #9
truckin 79

I am just throwing this out there but why not use some air shocks or air bag all 4 corners? I have a Avalanche that has rear air adjustable shocks and it rides nice and smooth. Also I have a 79 Trans Am that used to have air shocks on it, well I decided to remove due to hearing how bad these are for the body mounts. I changed to Monroe sensitrack shocks and instantly made the ride in the Trans Am rougher. It took me year but finally switched back to air shocks in the Trans Am and couldn't be happier with the softer ride in the TA.