The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2021, 01:04 PM   #1
Irish1941

Anybody have a 90-91 Sub/Blazer with working ABS?

Pretty sure my ABS has taken a dump on my 90 V1500 Sub. I get no noise from the valves in a hard stop or pedal vibration but I don't get a brake light error code either.
The rear were locking up before the fronts but did brakes all around, properly adjusted the rear shoes and that seems fixed.
I have just plumbed out the ABS altogether in past trucks but kinda want it to work now as this one is seeing a lot of highway with my wife & 8yr old in it.
Anybody have experience with the ABS? A way to test the valves without complete tear down on the system?
Thanks in advance.
Irish1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:13 PM   #2
Just call me Sean

Re: Anybody have a 90-91 Sub/Blazer with working ABS?

The ABS on those is mostly for decoration.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:34 AM   #3
Irish1941

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
The ABS on those is mostly for decoration.
A brake system that's decoration....well now that clears up EVERYTHING.
Irish1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 11:43 PM   #4
Zoomad75
K5Camper

It's one of the first ABS systems GM used. Zero parts availability to replace the pump/module assembly.

Plus the system is only functional to the rear wheels which won't help with directional stability if the front wheels still have the possibility to lock up.

Chances of getting a good used one is pretty slim since it's been 30 years since they came out. Also the GMT400 rear ABS system is different so it's not a possibility to retrofit to the earlier platform.

When attempting to bleed my '91 during the intial LS swap we ran into a major issue where we could not get fluid to flow to the rear circuit. We followed the service manual procedure with a fabricated bracket holding the plunger down on the proportioning valve, still wouldn't flow. We tried everything, the system would not push fluid to the rear.

I ended up pulling a proportioning valve and the lines between it and the master cylinder from an earlier non-abs truck. Swapped them in and rears bled just fine with the same master cylinder on it. You do have to change the tube nut on the rear line to match the fitting in the prop-valve, but there is just enough on the stock rear line to cut the line, take the nut off and re-flare with the correct fitting on the line.

I haven't been in a situation where I felt the Rear wheel abs would have helped better.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote