The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2021, 10:07 AM   #1
Hart_Rod

Gauge cluster removal qustion

I'm getting ready to do the LMC tach conversion on my 87 SWB and need to know if I can pull the gauge cluster without pulling the dash pad. It's in pristine shape and I don't want to take any chance on damaging it. TIA!
Attached Images

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 06-20-2021 at 10:12 AM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:27 AM   #2
Getter-Done

Re: Gauge cluster removal qustion

1st off ,Nice truck

Yes the cluster can be removed without taking the dashpad off.

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:14 PM   #3
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
1st off ,Nice truck

Yes the cluster can be removed without taking the dashpad off.

Thank you! Do I need to drop the column down?
Old 06-20-2021, 12:16 PM   #4
Getter-Done

Best I remember ,
You do not have to.
It will tilt out.

Old 06-20-2021, 12:19 PM   #5
Dead Parrot

2nd on nice truck.

2nd on removing bezel and cluster without removing the dash pad. You will have to remove several things under the steering column because of how they fit together in layers. Depending on year, there may be a fiber optic cable from a cluster bulb to, IIRC, the ashtray.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:02 PM   #6
71gmcC15

I'm my experience I had to remove the dash pad. There was just not enough room for the cluster to go up. It hit the pad way before it was free. Idk maybe that was just me. I would say definitely try without the taking the pad out but dont be surprised if it dont work out. And if I had to ges that's is a aftermarket pad. If not then dang I be jelly.
04 chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab 5.3 4l60e.
81 chevy Scottsdale k10 muncie sm465 Np208 10 bolt 8.2 ( Old Green)
71gmcC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:27 PM   #7
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
Best I remember ,
You do not have to.
It will tilt out.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
2nd on nice truck.

2nd on removing bezel and cluster without removing the dash pad. You will have to remove several things under the steering column because of how they fit together in layers. Depending on year, there may be a fiber optic cable from a cluster bulb to, IIRC, the ashtray.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71gmcC15 View Post
I'm my experience I had to remove the dash pad. There was just not enough room for the cluster to go up. It hit the pad way before it was free. Idk maybe that was just me. I would say definitely try without the taking the pad out but dont be surprised if it dont work out. And if I had to ges that's is a aftermarket pad. If not then dang I be jelly.
Thanks for the info. It's the original pad, 35K original mile truck....
Old 06-20-2021, 05:50 PM   #8
71gmcC15

Oof ya i definitely would not want to pull it either.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:37 AM   #9
1957 Chief
Proud Vet that loves the USA

Like others have said Rob, pull all the stuff below the column. Lower the column by taking out or loosening the 15mm bolts that hold it up. And like Dead Parrot said, don't forget the one dash light at the upper right that has the fiber optic line that goes to the ash tray. Speedo cable should just slide right off by pushing a tab. And then it can tilt out.

Bubba
1957 Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:58 AM   #10
TKCR

Don’t fret on taking the dash out. I’ve had mine out a couple of times to work on it, and mines an original dash. First time was to do a bunch of gauge cluster work and other things. The second time was to swap the dash trim back to an original looking one. I say it’s easier to pull the dash versus trying to work around it, especially the gauge cluster.
And I drool over that truck of yours! Beautiful!
Attached Images

TKCR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:10 AM   #11
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957 Chief View Post
Like others have said Rob, pull all the stuff below the column. Lower the column by taking out or loosening the 15mm bolts that hold it up. And like Dead Parrot said, don't forget the one dash light at the upper right that has the fiber optic line that goes to the ash tray. Speedo cable should just slide right off by pushing a tab. And then it can tilt out.

Bubba
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Don’t fret on taking the dash out. I’ve had mine out a couple of times to work on it, and mines an original dash. First time was to do a bunch of gauge cluster work and other things. The second time was to swap the dash trim back to an original looking one. I say it’s easier to pull the dash versus trying to work around it, especially the gauge cluster.
And I drool over that truck of yours! Beautiful!

Thanks for all the info guys , will work on it this week!
Old 06-21-2021, 09:31 AM   #12
Rich84

Just be careful. The plastic tabs are delicate and it can be difficult to tilt it just the right way for it to come out.
It would be a good time to throw some LED bulbs in the cluster.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:14 AM   #13
truckin 79

I pull mine out almost once a month trying to find electrical gremlins that are affecting my gauges. Plus I will pull a few of these at my local junkyard when I find them as well. Everytime I take it out it feels like the first time though. I have not removed dash pad so do not know if that would make it any easier. I take off gauge bezel which is the easy part, mine is none AC. When it comes to cluster I take off the four mounting screws (3 in my case) on the outside. The mounting tab on left of cluster is usually broken but 3 screws is plenty. Reach up and push tab to release speedo cable and then pull off gauge cluster pigtail. Remember to take off the shift indicator from steering wheel column as well. I have found it easier to remover the PRND indicator as well but you can leave it. Then comes the finagling part, you have to gently move it to the left to clear the metal dash and gently wiggle slowly, some profanity helps as well or farfegnugens if you are so inclined. As you can see in TKCR pic the plastic part of cluster by fuel gauge is tucked behind the metal of dash. So as you push to the left this is usually where the tab on the left gets broken off. Some days it will take me about 5 minutes to get cluster out other times 15-20, good luck
Old 06-21-2021, 07:37 PM   #14
Corts60
Just here to tinker

I say pull the pad off. It will be in the way of the two top corner bolts holding in the gauge pack. You'll do more damage to the pad trying to bend it up to get to the bolts than you will just sliding it completely out. My suburban only has 57k original miles and I took mine out to fix cruise control, no problem.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:49 PM   #15
Factory Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
I say pull the pad off. It will be in the way of the two top corner bolts holding in the gauge pack. You'll do more damage to the pad trying to bend it up to get to the bolts than you will just sliding it completely out. My suburban only has 57k original miles and I took mine out to fix cruise control, no problem.
I agree i would pull the pad off too!

I think you risk damaging other stuff if you didn’t. Plus i think you have a mechanical speedo meter, it will make getting the speedo cable disconnected a lot easier.
Factory Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:52 PM   #16
bhc41051

I believe that removing the cluster without removing the dash pad is the main cause of the tab on the left side breaking. If you remove the bezel and find your tab is broken I wouldn't bother removing the dash pad.
Attached Images

bhc41051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:52 PM   #17
Getter-Done

Just looking over all the comments and studying on this

You could take all the screws out of the dash pad.

Then leave it in place and lift if as little bit as Possible.

That way the dash pad will have minimum movement.

You would not have to remove it from the truck.

You just need a (Little Slack)

That way the speaker holes don't bust

Old 06-21-2021, 10:59 PM   #18
Pontiac1976

As said (Getter-Done/ bhc41051)
Quote:
Rich84: Just be careful. The plastic tabs are delicate and it can be difficult to tilt it just the right way for it to come out.
It would be a good time to throw some LED bulbs in the cluster.
Very true now would be the best time for this.
can be done with the pad on but helps have it lose done in the heat of the day in the sun( take your time be gentle you may have to pry the tabs a little some times the may be stuck to the steel dash shell take your time work slowly. do not for get you do have to take the speedo cable out and it most easy from the top under the dash cover to let the gauge have more movement and take your time if your hands are big really take your time.
As said by (Corts60 would be the best) But can be done on a warm day when the pad is soft in the sun just do not press to hard on any places where there is week spots.
1977 REG cab Long Bed with a 1984 Front Clip, 82 305 .60 over 9.0.1 flat top pistons, 4bbl, TH350, w/84 SS-intake & cam , w/ 1977 big block rad, 1975 gear box, 1984 master w/ metric fittings top & SAE fitting @ portion block, 1975 3.42 gear open diff. Duel 77-87 Factory air cleaner, duel inlet from rad support . Down sized 9' to new 8' Steel flat bed
Was a 77 454 w/308 gear. Taken out 550 lbs. up front with motor clip change.
Pontiac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:20 AM   #19
Hart_Rod

Thanks for all the great info guys! Looks like I have lots of different approaches to get this done. I will definitely be patient when doing this. I'm 99.9% sure that the cluster has never been out. The LMC kit comes with a new gauge cluster housing and clear plastic bezel, but I obviously don't want to harm the original. What LED's are you guys using? Mine panel lights up pretty well so I'm not sure if I need to change them out. Also, aren't there some felt pieces that go on the vent's to keep them in place? What are they called and where do you purchase them? I've got a lot going on this week, so I may not be able to tackle this until next week. I appreciate everyone's input and will report back on my experience, .
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2021, 01:14 AM   #20
Pontiac1976

Since you got the cluster from LMC check the book or on line for there option. As what you will need digital flasher so the led's work with out 70's disco flashing. Super bright LED's is a good place too.
1977 REG cab Long Bed with a 1984 Front Clip, 82 305 .60 over 9.0.1 flat top pistons, 4bbl, TH350, w/84 SS-intake & cam , w/ 1977 big block rad, 1975 gear box, 1984 master w/ metric fittings top & SAE fitting @ portion block, 1975 3.42 gear open diff. Duel 77-87 Factory air cleaner, duel inlet from rad support . Down sized 9' to new 8' Steel flat bed
Was a 77 454 w/308 gear. Taken out 550 lbs. up front with motor clip change.
Pontiac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:17 PM   #21
71gmcC15

Why are replacemenong the gauges? Here's how my original gauge turned out after some cleaning painting and a new lenses. Did replace the temp cuse of a broke needle.
Attached Images