The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2019, 11:54 PM   #26
SCOTI

Re: Rodstored-72's 1986 DD build

Looks slightly different vs the Crown part I used. And, a small MAP torch was all it took for me to liquify the bonding agent.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:00 AM   #27
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

I had a very big weekend a couple of weeks ago, the weather was clear and warm enough to paint and my friend who paints was able to come over and help….. I FINALLY was able to paint the radiator support, inner fenders and the firewall ….yyaaa!!!. I have never used an hvlp gun before so with guidance from the “master” this “grasshopper” gave it a shot!! I learned that I spray too heavy as a result of not moving the gun fast enough. Luckily I did not cause any runs, but I used more paint than should have. After the second coat we both came to the realization that I needed to hand the sprayer over to the “professional”. The third coat was sprayed and all looked good. After a bit of dry time we then proceeded to shoot 2 coats of clear. I knew better than to try my hand at that so my friend kept his magic wand moving and the coats came out very smooth, with all cleared we went back and looked everything over. With everything done there were only 2 noticeable small runs. I let everything dry a bit and then moved all the parts inside for the night. The next day we shaved down the runs and re checked everything. Overall I am very happy with the results. Here are a few pics. The truck was repainted before I bought it; the color used appears to be close (darker/deeper) to the factory color. I really like the factory color….
Attached Images

rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:17 AM   #28
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Well the good is that everything that I wanted painted to get the engine install is painted; I will post about the engine install soon. The bad is that in momentary lapse of judgment I did this……
After about a half hour of many words that our not fit for publication, I calmed down enough to re-assess the situation and talking with my friend. It was determined that the damage is not in a critical area and can be fixed fairly easy, hopefully I can fix it enough to not be easily noticeable…..
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2019, 02:52 PM   #29
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Looks slightly different vs the Crown part I used. And, a small MAP torch was all it took for me to liquify the bonding agent.
scoti,
yea.. I thought it might be the same as previously shown, but as I got into it I could tell it might not be the same part (it is a crown shaft, just bought through summit on sale). I believe this will work, I have mocked it in place, it just took a little more finessing to work. thanks for the reply...
Old 12-27-2019, 09:00 PM   #30
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

well.. good news and bad news. I have the motor "installed", but for some reason the pass. side header is hitting the frame?? I will load up a picture to show (once back home from the holidays) anyways I have about a inch of space on the driver side. the headers are the pacesetter "shorty" headers, supposedly they are direct replacements for the manifolds and the exhaust system is to bolt directly up to them. I used dirty dingo mounts & the engine seems to be in a good position? I am not sure why the header is hitting on the pass. side??? … any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!!!
Old 01-20-2020, 10:02 PM   #31
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Wwhheewww!! It’s been awhile!! Well I have been busy, just too lazy to update until now. I did a little more research & discovered that it is not too uncommon to have to clearance the pass frame rail just a bit for these motor conversions. I took a few measurements & then rechecked them before any cutting. I used a air cut-off wheel & just took my time to follow my linework. After I cut and took a deep sigh of relief I smootghed the edges with a dremel sanding wheel. I then scuffed the area followed by a swipe of wax-grease remover. Once satisfied that it looked good & everything cleared I proceeded to recoat the exposed area with por-15 frame paint to match the previous painted areas. Everything looks good & almost …. ALMOST looks factory… to an old guy with bad eye sight….

in the picture you can also see the last spark plug wire that I shaved to try to clear the header as well.... I decided that I am going to get a couple of boot protectors for this one & one on the other side too.

I forgot to mention that the header flange is "deeper" than the lip of the frame flange - the pic does not show the depth difference.
Attached Images

Last edited by rodstored-72; 01-20-2020 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:37 PM   #32
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

The next item up for completion was to get the main Vintage Air A.C. unit installed. I previously talked to a rep. for them at Dino’s get down and was able to confirm my idea of being able to skip using the firewall plate and just transfer the hole size & location directly to the firewall. I liked this because it looked great on my ’72 (with a smoothed firewall) and I did not like the test fit of the plate on my ’86. I tediously tested the hole locations & finally verified that I could install the unit & the holes would be correctly located. After some manly persuasion & finessing it was bolted in place & the lines are situated well, although the lower heater hose line is a little short poking thru for the hose clamp. Overall I am happy with the install
I am now in the process of attaching a few hoses to the unit & the vents. This is frustrating because the hose is round, but the vent/unit ends are rectangular/oval…… . Trying to get a good “seal”/fit is not soo smooth. If I remember from my previous install I used zip ties to hold the hose at each end for a good fit & then used “metal duct” tape to “seal” connection
Helpful hints or method would be gladly accepted….
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2020, 10:44 PM   #33
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Well this past weekend I decided to do something that I wished I had done on my ’72….. I prepped & painted my brake booster & bracket. It took A LOT of prepping & cleaning, but in the end I think the work was worth the effort…….
Attached Images

Last edited by rodstored-72; 01-20-2020 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:08 PM   #34
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

This MLK day holiday was spent installing the replaced brake proportioning valve. I also replaced the power steering lines. The original one had a small hole from rubbing on something so I decided to replace both. A little FYI for you guys evidently there are 2 versions, a first design & a second design. One comes straight out of the box & the other one bends at a 90 degree. I figured out that the first design (with 90d bend) needs to be my version. In case you guys didn’t know the original hoses will fit the 2013 power steering pump
Old 01-21-2020, 11:20 AM   #35
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
The next item up for completion was to get the main Vintage Air A.C. unit installed. I previously talked to a rep. for them at Dino’s get down and was able to confirm my idea of being able to skip using the firewall plate and just transfer the hole size & location directly to the firewall. I liked this because it looked great on my ’72 (with a smoothed firewall) and I did not like the test fit of the plate on my ’86. I tediously tested the hole locations & finally verified that I could install the unit & the holes would be correctly located. After some manly persuasion & finessing it was bolted in place & the lines are situated well, although the lower heater hose line is a little short poking thru for the hose clamp. Overall I am happy with the install
I am now in the process of attaching a few hoses to the unit & the vents. This is frustrating because the hose is round, but the vent/unit ends are rectangular/oval…… . Trying to get a good “seal”/fit is not soo smooth. If I remember from my previous install I used zip ties to hold the hose at each end for a good fit & then used “metal duct” tape to “seal” connection
Helpful hints or method would be gladly accepted….
What does VA say about this? This is one of those things I don't like about the aftermarket stuff that we invest in to make our vehicles nicer. Manufacturers of an 'elite' product line having round hose ends that have to seal on not-round ducting ports??

Here's an idea.... How about making the duct port & hose match where they connect? Or, how about making adapters that allow nice, tight, solid connections vs. having to figure it out on your own? If they have the capability to form & mold a case, one would think ducting that's plug-& play shouldn't be too much of a request.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 01-25-2020, 06:37 PM   #36
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

LOL...agree. i did the same setup on my ‘72 (universal pieces) so I was expecting some modifications. I read a little deeper in the instructions & noticed the hoses are 2 different sizes- this helps a little. I still scratch my head as to why they have you connect round hose to oval openings, my guess is to help with the overall unit size��. I still feel they are the better system, but i am a simple guy & sometimes instructions are confusing����
Old 01-25-2020, 06:39 PM   #37
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

scotti, thanks for the input...
Old 01-26-2020, 11:25 PM   #38
SCOTI

Quote:
scotti, thanks for the input...
No prob. I'm diggin the build & look forward to your progress.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-27-2020, 08:34 AM   #39
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Looks great so far! Keep at it!

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:38 PM   #40
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
No prob. I'm diggin the build & look forward to your progress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STOCKISH View Post
Looks great so far! Keep at it!
thanks guys it is nice to see some are atleast reading.. I too am looking to get a big step completed soon...I only wish that i could be as talented and good at "story tellin'" like ken (N2TRUX) .... !!!
Old 01-27-2020, 04:29 PM   #41
SCOTI

Quote:
thanks guys it is nice to see some are atleast reading.. I too am looking to get a big step completed soon...I only wish that i could be as talented and good at "story tellin'" like ken (N2TRUX) .... !!!
Some talents are over rated. Just be you & that's good enough
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-29-2020, 03:34 PM   #42
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Well not too much to report. I have been busy.... just doing boring tidying up of few things here & there. This past weekend was not filled with garage time as the daughter had an archery ternny so that took up both days mostly. my next big "to do" is to connect the 2013 4L60 transmission to the 1986 truck.... I am not sure what can be carried over & what needs to be modified??? ...... HHhhmmmmmmm
Old 02-06-2020, 10:39 PM   #43
superdav

Nice truck, that 4.8 is perfect for a turbo
superdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:34 AM   #44
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

superdav,
Thanks!! I keep hearing that (turbo), but I am just wanting a good solid motor that I won't have to "mess with" for a long time. The future may hold other ideas though....
Old 02-16-2020, 04:36 PM   #45
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

I am finally adding another “bump” to my posts. I have been busy, but with the boring stuff… cleaning up the wiring. I have done a few “bright and shiny” stuff as well. I started the assembly of the radiator support with the radiator & fans. The wiring was a bit of a mess and I was at first a little overwhelmed, but I remembered some things I saw from other builders on here and I just started with doing a little bit here and there. I took my time and eventually I was able to see the daylight. I feel good about the wiring now and like the cleanliness of it. I used a wrap that I found online it is called Alex tech and it is a split loom that is a “fabric” base. The specs indicate that it can easily handle the heat of the engine compartment and it comes in a few different colors… including red! The turn signal light connectors will need to be replaced, I believe I will get a pair from LMC. On with the pictures…..

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2020, 04:57 PM   #46
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

The bright and shiny part was starting the assembly of the radiator support with the aluminum radiator and electric fans. This is the radiator setup that I finally settled on.
Link: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-384030-kit1
I hope that this setup should be adequate for the summers here in the desert. I am hoping that I can use the wiring from the factory motor wiring to connect the electric fans. Hhhmmmmm???
Pictures now…
Thanks
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2020, 06:33 AM   #47
ElReeso

Love the clean wires with the fabric look. I might have to copy that idea

I thought about the same kit from summit too.. please update how you like it and so on. I`d like to compare this to a Buddy running a Kit from Champion
ElReeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:44 AM   #48
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

elreeso,
Thanks!! Yea I like the loom so far! it is pretty budget friendly too. I was looking for something different like what N2TRUX was using, but thought i would give this a try. I will for sure on the performance of the rad. & fans. I was originally thinking that a H.D. BBC rad. would work with fans but I was guided towards a nice alum rad. and fans due to the L.S. cooling needs.

thanks!!
Old 02-24-2020, 11:15 AM   #49
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

well I have been busy just doing the boring stuff of trying to figure out the wiring for the '13 motor. I did get a start on the dual tank setup, I unboxed a new tank & began the task of trying to figure out "how-to" install the AC Delco 381 fuel pump onto the new '87 sender AND how to install that stuff into/onto the tank.... I posted a few questions on another related thread in here (by the way another great thing about this site!). I will post pics (if I remember!) once I have it figured out...
Old 02-24-2020, 06:12 PM   #50
SCOTI

Quote:
well I have been busy just doing the boring stuff of trying to figure out the wiring for the '13 motor. I did get a start on the dual tank setup, I unboxed a new tank & began the task of trying to figure out "how-to" install the AC Delco 381 fuel pump onto the new '87 sender AND how to install that stuff into/onto the tank.... I posted a few questions on another related thread in here (by the way another great thing about this site!). I will post pics (if I remember!) once I have it figured out...
All of these builds are great reference sources when the details are shared. Keep @ it
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG