The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2016, 11:43 PM   #1
SBTork
Garage wrench

85 Suburban w/5.3, leaking power steering pump

Ever since I've finished my LS swap on my '85 Suburban, my new power steering pump leaks. I replaced the one that was originally on it, donor was fro an '05 Avalanche, with a new reman one. I installed a new steering gear, pump and both pressure and return lines at the time of doing the swap. It took a several hours to bleed the power steering system which to me also seemed very strange. I thought these systems were very basic and bled air out of them very easily. As far as steering feel, it feels a little tough or hard to steer and the pump is still making a light/slight whine noise at idle and when steering. Maybe it needs to be bled more or in a different way. I do not know for sure where on the power steering pump it is leaking. Maybe the cap but it seems like it's leaking from the back of it. The pressure line is good and tight and has a new o-ring on it. The o-ring is one that came with the new line for the '85, maybe the '05 pump needs a thicker or different sized o-ring? Any input or ideas?

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:56 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: 85 Suburban w/5.3, leaking power steering pump

I wouldn't think it should take more than a minute to bleed out. Mine bled immediately. You may have a new bad pump. As far as the leak you would have to clean it up good and watch to see where it comes from. My 02 ls and my 81 steering had the same fitting.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote