The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2021, 02:56 AM   #1
donthekawguy

Finally going to get started

I got this truck a couple years ago but around the same time I bought a Model A truck so that took all my time and money. Now it's gone and it's time to roll this in the shop for a total rebuild. I'm hoping to have it down to the frame this weekend and check on blasting and powder coating. I was thinking of painting the frame a candy red but if I can get it powder coated for around the same price I'll go that route. I'm still trying to figure out how to get video from my gopro to my computer so I can edit video and post progress on youtube. I think my laptop is garbage so I'll get a new one. I'm not sure about starting this because I might be moving cross country next year but if I do I'll figure out a way to move the truck with me. I thought I had better pics but I must have deleted them. lol More tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2021, 05:31 AM   #2
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: Finally going to get started

Nice project. What are your plans for the drive train? Candy red sounds cool to me. My Dad used to have a 74 El Camino with a 454, chrome side pipe headers and side pipes, and a tilt front end. It had a candy apple red paint job over gold flake. He sold that car to buy tools when he started a new job in 1984. When I was in cub scouts he used some of the left over paint on my pine wood derby car. I wish I could find the pics of that.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 02:41 PM   #3
donthekawguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Nice project. What are your plans for the drive train? Candy red sounds cool to me. My Dad used to have a 74 El Camino with a 454, chrome side pipe headers and side pipes, and a tilt front end. It had a candy apple red paint job over gold flake. He sold that car to buy tools when he started a new job in 1984. When I was in cub scouts he used some of the left over paint on my pine wood derby car. I wish I could find the pics of that.
Drivetrain will be a LS of some sort probably nothing fancy but I do want AC and cruise. 4L80 trans and posi rear. Going with 4 wheel disc and five lug. Hoping to have the frame either candy paint or some sort of candyish powder coat. The body will be one of the slate gray non metal flake colors probably Toyota. All the chrome will be painted that black chrome stuff that Eastwood sells a it for and the interior will be dark red to sort of match the frame. Still not sure about using a old Impala dash yet but if I find one cheap enough I'll do it. This is going to take a while and when/if I move its really going to be a pain. I'm heading out now to pump up the tires and get it rolled in to the shop. Might have it torn down today, most of its done anyway. lol
Old 09-25-2021, 08:56 PM   #4
donthekawguy

Got it out of the backyard. I went to winch it into my garage and the winch battery is dead so I'll have to wait a while. She pretty rough but that can be fixed.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2021, 06:08 AM   #5
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Have you tried the black chrome from them yet? I really want to do black chrome on all the shiny pieces on my 40 Ford but the only place I found that would do it will cost an arm and a leg to do it. My painter buddy was thinking of tinting clear with black and spraying it all. We haven't tried it yet though.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:10 AM   #6
88Stanger

nice starter!! That is really a good looking truck, depending, it could be a good candidate for "patina build".... or full paint, either way, great starter...
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 02:51 AM   #7
donthekawguy

Got some parts in today. New 5 lug axles and a new cross member. Ordered new trailing arms and lowering kit with springs, shocks and all that stuff. Will be getting the cab off and chassis in the shop and stripped this weekend. Powder coat next week and rear end tear down.
Attached Images