The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2021, 12:47 PM   #1
Ehodg66

Tools you carry

I recently purchased a behind the seat storage unit (pic attached-not my ride) for tools etc. It will need some mods and will post a pic when complete. My 82 is my daily driver but I like to take small trips upstate (I'm in Florida).

I was curious what tools, etc. others carry with them and would carry for a road trip.

I want to preface, I'm not a gear head. I will not be dropping my tranny at a turnpike rest stop to repair it (I know someone who did it) but I can fix certain problems.

Here is a list I started with: Fire extinguisher, First aid kit, Jumper cables, gloves, flashlight, rope, flares (?), small air compressor, tire plug kit, zip ties, elec tape, fuses, duct tape, utility knife, various screw drivers, cutters, pliers, adj wrench, vice grips, hose clamps, rags, spare tranny fluid, spare oil, spare coolant, breaker bar, various sockets/wrench, spark plug socket, various wrenches.

Please add any tools, etc. you can think of.

Cheers
Attached Images

Last edited by Ehodg66; 10-14-2021 at 01:17 PM.
Ehodg66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 01:11 PM   #2
cfan10

Cool Re: Tools you carry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehodg66 View Post
I recently purchased a behind the seat storage unit (pic attached) for tools etc. It will need some mods and will post a pic when complete. My 82 is my daily driver but I like to take small trips upstate (I'm in Florida).

I was curious what tools, etc. others carry with them and would carry for a road trip.

I want to preface, I'm not a gear head. I will not be dropping my tranny at a turnpike rest stop to repair it (I know someone who did it) but I can fix certain problems.

Here is a list I started with: Fire extinguisher, First aid kit, Jumper cables, gloves, flashlight, rope, flares (?), small air compressor, tire plug kit, zip ties, elec tape, fuses, duct tape, utility knife, various screw drivers, cutters, pliers, adj wrench, vice grips, hose clamps, rags, spare tranny fluid, spare oil, spare coolant, breaker bar, various sockets/wrench, spark plug socket, various wrenches.

Please add any tools, etc. you can think of.

Cheers
That is a really nice setup.
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 01:20 PM   #3
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Re: Tools you carry

Maybe Gorilla Glue ( that is if I missed it and you already have some ) will you share with me where you got this storage unit ..I will be putting one behind my seat too.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:39 PM   #4
Ehodg66

American Van equipment. The price was 120ish but the shipping (for me) was around 50. A little pricey but I think the time spent making one out of wood was worth it. A standard oil container will not stand up on the lower shelf but I'm going to take an angle cutter to it and modify it. Repaint the exposed areas of metal and add a support(s) if needed.
Ehodg66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:22 PM   #5
Dead Parrot

I bought something similar many years ago for my C10. IIRC - it was a Rubbermaid product. Don't think it is made anymore. Looking for similar for my CUCV.

A plastic Craftsman tool box fits perfectly in the lower shelf.(Don't know if that is available any more either.) I think it was advertised as an under seat toolbox.

I have bucket seats in my C10 with a center console so can reach the middle of the behind the seat shelf. It is a nice place to set small things you might want while driving.

List looks pretty good. Spare bulbs + tools to change.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:22 PM   #6
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

I carry a cheap set of sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers etc from Harbor Freight. sections of heater hose, fuel line, fuses, along with clamps are nice to throw in the box as well. For road trips I also carry a spare starter and alternator. For me a spare tire and jack are always on hand. Another tip is to carry a piece of wood that would fit under your jack in case you're parked on dirt.

I drive my stuff a lot, and I drive them on 4-5 hour trips when I can. Because of that I change belts and hoses every couple years, cheap insurance.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'30 Model A Pickup, suicide front end, 350, 350, traditional style hot rod.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:44 PM   #7
sick472

You never know when you'll need a coat hanger, electrical tape, piece of sandpaper, HEI module (don't forget the heat transfer paste), cheap rain poncho (for wearing or laying on under the truck) & a long skinny funnel.

I also carry a tow strap, umbrella, and a set of traction cleats to slip on my boots in case I get caught in an icy situation. Of course, my '85 K20 is my winter vehicle. Yours looks like it might not see snow, especially in your location...may a spare bathing suit. lol.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:57 PM   #8
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

[QUOTE=Ehodg66;8983815]I recently purchased a behind the seat storage unit (pic attached-not my ride) for tools etc. It will need some mods and will post a pic when complete. My 82 is my daily driver but I like to take small trips upstate (I'm in Florida).

How did you anchor it to stay put ?
Old 10-14-2021, 08:04 PM   #9
Killer Bee

Old 10-15-2021, 01:50 PM   #10
Ziegelsteinfaust

I like the self idea. Soon I have to finish my behind the seat gas tank storage.

On a 66 F100 I had. I used the old gas tank to make a storage unit, and it was great for stuff. Still need to finish my C10's.

I have a 150 piece husky tool set in a couple bags in the deeper well under the seat right now.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:57 PM   #11
kipps

I didn't see a multi-meter mentioned. That can be invaluable for tracing down a broken wire or bad ground.

For as little space as it takes, I would also consider adding a depin tool and a handful of Packard-56 terminals. Some wire splices would be nice as well. Most likely, one of the pliers you're already carrying is capable of crimpinh a terminal or splice onto the wire.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote