The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2021, 02:43 PM   #1
D-n-Tyke

Wiring Harness Options

I am debating if I want to try rewire the whole suburban or just piece meal out the bad sections and leave what is working. One factor is the options available for complete replacement harnesses. I was looking at AWW harnesses and they look really nice I only see ones specified for trucks (not a specific one for a suburban). What has eveyone been using? Do you just buy a truck version and then add on to it the addition things included in a suburban?

Love to hear what everyone has done.
D-n-Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:12 PM   #2
BAD1916

Re: Wiring Harness Options

GMC Paul’s has underdash and taillight harnesses that are listed as Suburban/panel specific. They also show headlight and gauge feed harnesses as well. I would check them out. I’m sure there are other vendors as well but I have always had great service from them.
BAD1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:33 PM   #3
lux

I can't answer your question about Suburban wiring but I can tell you that AAW's phone support is top notch. I'd give them a call. I would buy AAW if you can. Great product and support.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:09 PM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

If you have any doubts about the tail light harness I recommend replacing it before replacing your headliner. That is if your original headliner is bad. If you are lucky enough to have a nice original then the decision is whether to repair the bad areas or to make and install a replacement harness under the body along the frame. Personally I would go through the work fabricating an under body harness and installing it before I took the risk of damaging unobtainable headliner pieces.
I have seen and inspected both AAW and M&H harnesses. The are both quality products. I have the AAW harness in my Burban (Yes, they make a factory style plug and play harness). My decision to go with AAW had to do with the delivery lead time differences. With pert-near 30k miles I have no regrets with AAW.
But don't get me started on starter switches!
If you do replace the tail light harness harness with an factory style harness I recommend removing the front seat to make it easier to access where the wires drop down from the A pillar.
I am still using the original engine harness, if you can call it original after replacing the ballast wire and converting to a later model SC alternator and wiring head light relays. At the time when I replaced the underdash harness I didn't have a real plan for what I might change in the engine bay. So basically evolution happened and it is what it is now.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:31 AM   #5
68 P.O.S.

It all depends on how involved you want to get into the wiring, but the easiest thing to do is get OEM style harnesses from either M&H or AAW. You can piece meal sections like you're thinking and they'll work with the existing wiring. Also, M&H and AAW both offer OEM harnesses with upgrades too, like wiring for HEI, electric choke, voltmeter, internally regulated alternator, and light relays. And they come all wrapped up, so 100% plug n play.
Old 11-22-2021, 09:26 PM   #6
uppster

i just finished wiring the entire truck with Rebel Wires and I know nothing about electricity. It was not hard.
uppster is offline   Reply With Quote