The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2021, 10:29 PM   #1
donthekawguy

1965 swb restomod

Thought I would start a new thread and just ad to it as I go. Got the front body work off today. Only broke 4 bolts and had to torch 1 lower fender bolt and 1 rad support bolt. Not too bad. I'm hoping to push it back out tomorrow and get the bed off and maybe the cab. Then back into the shop to get the steering and suspension off along with all the brake lines and fuel lines. Should he able to get it to the powder coater next week. I'm having concrete poured in front of the shop next week so I want to get it done before its poured.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2021, 09:04 PM   #2
donthekawguy

Re: 1965 swb restomod

Got the bed off today and moved it outside. Next weekend the cab comes off and it goes back into the shop for a suspension strip.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2021, 08:31 AM   #3
The Rocknrod

Looks like fun, keep us posted.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 04:57 PM   #4
donthekawguy

Got some parts in and I hope to get the cab off today or tomorrow. Unfortunately I wont be able to get the chassis into the garage until next weekend at the soonest. I'm having concrete poured right in front of the shop so i'll have to let that cure for a while. I got a new cross member, trailing arms, lowering kit from Speedway, track bar and other stuff I'm probably forgetting. lol I'm starting at the rear because thats easiest than will move on to the front. Heres a pic of the cross member I'm using. The rest of the stuff I'll leave boxed up so it doesnt get spread all over the shop.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2023, 02:57 AM   #5
donthekawguy

Finally got a chance to get to work on the truck. Body is off and I'll be taking all the lines and wiring off this week. I'm hoping to get the rear end out and front suspension stripped off this week while on vacation. Then weld.up some holes and mount the power steering bracket before taking the frame to powder coat. I'll post some pics as I go.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2023, 08:10 AM   #6
joesscamaro

Looks like you're moving along well and have a nice work area to make it happen in.
joesscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 03:29 PM   #7
88Stanger

Nice job so far!!
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 05:21 PM   #8
rbruno68

I will hopefully be following you along with the same process in about a month. One of the things I will need to do is build a cab dolly like yours. I plan to put it out to the forum for design ideas, but thought I would ask you as well. How high does your sit the cab off the ground and do you have it sitting on the cab support rails or on the cab mounts? I am lucking on mine that I don't need to do any work to the cab supports. So, I was thinking about building mine so it sits like it will sit on the frame and have the the cab sit on the dolly at the cab mounts. Just wondering how you built yours.
Rob
rbruno68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 11:04 PM   #9
donthekawguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno68 View Post
I will hopefully be following you along with the same process in about a month. One of the things I will need to do is build a cab dolly like yours. I plan to put it out to the forum for design ideas, but thought I would ask you as well. How high does your sit the cab off the ground and do you have it sitting on the cab support rails or on the cab mounts? I am lucking on mine that I don't need to do any work to the cab supports. So, I was thinking about building mine so it sits like it will sit on the frame and have the the cab sit on the dolly at the cab mounts. Just wondering how you built yours.
Rob
All I did was measure how wide I need it and how long. I didn't put a lot of thought into it. I just wanted it stable and be able to roll it outside so I could work on the frame. I used 2 rather straps to hold it on the dollie and it's plenty stable. It's about 2 feet off the ground so it's easy enough to get in and work on what I need to. I built one for the bed also but it's way too tall but it works. I just bolted 2x4s onto the 4x4 legs and used HF casters.
Old 07-15-2023, 11:08 PM   #10
donthekawguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesscamaro View Post
Looks like you're moving along well and have a nice work area to make it happen in.
I love my shop! I almost got squished working on my 78 f250 in my gravel driveway so I built the shop about 5 years ago. Now it's only used for my 65 unless I need to fix one of my drivers but everything is on dollies so it all can be moved out of the way. I'm swapping out all the 4 foot leds to hyoerlights in a couple weeks so that should clean up the ceiling a little bit until I get the metal work done.
Old 07-17-2023, 11:29 AM   #11
rbruno68

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthekawguy View Post
All I did was measure how wide I need it and how long. I didn't put a lot of thought into it. I just wanted it stable and be able to roll it outside so I could work on the frame. I used 2 rather straps to hold it on the dollie and it's plenty stable. It's about 2 feet off the ground so it's easy enough to get in and work on what I need to. I built one for the bed also but it's way too tall but it works. I just bolted 2x4s onto the 4x4 legs and used HF casters.
Sounds good. I need to make one for my bed as well. I think for that though I might just put wheels on a pallet and store it up right either on the tailgate or front panel. My shop is tight so I need things on wheels too. I bought 4 car dollies and they have been used for more then just sitting my truck on. Very handy for moving random stuff around to store.
Rob
rbruno68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 11:18 AM   #12
donthekawguy

Git the back half of the frame stripped down yesterday and found the rear cross member is bent. I also noticed the front one is bent. I found a guy who has a set of good ones he will sell me so the bent ones will be coming out today. I'm also going to finish stripping the rear diff and start on the front suspension. I'm off the next couple of days while my wife is at work so I can work without being interrupted. Lol
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2023, 06:01 PM   #13
donthekawguy

This frame is the gift that keeps on giving. Lol Found that the driver side frame horn has had a not so great repair and the left upper control arm mount has had the rivets cut out and bolts used. Now I get to cut the right side rivets out to make it match. Got the power coat estimate of 800 dollars. If that seems high it's because the are using 2 colors to get a candy red color so they have to do it twice. I'm doing the frame and cross members the candy color and all the suspension in flat black. It'll by a few weeks before I get it done but I'll post pics when I get it back.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2023, 05:50 AM   #14
Nappers

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthekawguy View Post
I'm off the next couple of days while my wife is at work so I can work without being interrupted. Lol
Not my wife, apparently with todays technology, calling me while I was @$$ deep in grease is okay. Then I dropped the phone as it was so slippery from the grease, called her back immediately and she said I hung up on her. I said no, I'm @$$ deep in grease, dropped the phone, sorry (my fault I guess). LOL. We laugh about it. THAT was after I told her I'd be @$$ deep in grease! She's a great woman though, helped me get the 350 in my '64! I'm liking the progress on this truck!
Nappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 04:11 AM   #15
donthekawguy

Finally took the frame to the powder coated. Should get it back this week. Went with cherry illusion for the color.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2023, 07:18 AM   #16
joesscamaro

Look forward to the frame updates!
joesscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote