The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2021, 07:38 PM   #1
painterljp

Tire questions

Have a 1964 chevy truck. It has a 283 4spd. Limited slip longbed. Has the original rims that are only little over 5 inches wide. Have the hubcaps and want to keep it original. Now am having problems finding tires that will fit these rims. Came with I think 650 16". Has 700 16" on it now that we're trailer tires. Tread is good but old and cracked. Flat spots. . But got the 650 removed today from spare and rims are only 5 1/4 " wide. And had a tube still in it.

Tire shop is a bit.purplexed and doesn't have any Tire they would recommend. Surely someone here has some thoughts??? Without spending 2000$ on tires. It's a driver for now.
painterljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 07:51 PM   #2
painterljp

Re: Tire questions

Here's a picture.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2021, 08:59 PM   #3
bsarts

try these guys

https://www.cokertire.com/
bsarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:44 PM   #4
Warrens69GMC

Closest are 195/75r16
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:03 PM   #5
painterljp

All Coker tires has is bias ply tires. Where you have to.buy.tubes and liners and have a ridge runner truck. Don't really want that and don't really want to spend that much on tires. With shipping, and finding someone to mount them lots of $$. None of tire shops local even will do tube tires any more or split rims either. Mine are not split rims. But tubes I would like to get away from. There has to be a radial size somewhere that will work. And won't run ridges in the roads.

Will check on the 195's.

Any others??
Old 10-02-2021, 11:11 PM   #6
painterljp

Guess coker does have them but don't wanna pay that. Plus freight and mounting. Damn. Anybody on here have any?
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2021, 11:26 PM   #7
geezer#99

Look here.

https://www.lucasclassictires.com/15-Tires_c13.htm

Or here.

https://www.universaltire.com/
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:25 AM   #8
The Rocknrod

For 5" to 6" wheel width = https://tiresize.com/tires/Firestone...-195-75R16.htm
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:52 AM   #9
cgrocen

6.50 x 16 tires are 29.7" in diameter. 195/75R16 tires are 27.5" in diameter. That is a 2.2" difference. A 225/75R16 tire is 29.3" in diameter and a 235/75R16 tire is 29.9" in diameter, so IMHO I believe those two would be the closest. The recommended wheel width for these tires is 6"-8". A 5" wheel is not that much narrower, and may not pose a problem.
cgrocen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 01:41 AM   #10
MusicMan70

I have the same concern and am looking at 215x85x16's for a 16x5 steel wheel
Old 10-04-2021, 04:16 PM   #11
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrocen View Post
The recommended wheel width for these tires is 6"-8". A 5" wheel is not that much narrower, and may not pose a problem.
It likely won’t be a problem for most people but the tire installers look at it as a potential court case if they put the wrong size recommended tires on too narrow of rims.
They’re protecting their butts is what it all boils down to.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 05:54 PM   #12
1966 K10

Ive been running Deestone 9.50x16.5 for 3-4 years now and have about 10K miles so far with no issues other than the usual bias ply flat spot if I leave it sitting for a month. I got them when they were only $50 each, I guess the virus got prices inflated. Here are there regular 16" versions

https://simpletire.com/brands/deesto...&curationPos=0

here is a 6.50 if you want a shorter tire

https://simpletire.com/brands/deesto...pick-top-picks
1966 K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:15 AM   #13
painterljp

Do you still need tubes and liners? Think these are what is currently on the truck or something similar. It's been sitting for a year at least. That's what problem is flat spots in all 4 tires. Can't even drive damn truck. Plus being old tires.

When looking up tubes now they are like 40-50 for just tubes?
Old 10-05-2021, 11:51 AM   #14
Killer Bee

trailer tires - I would strongly suggest avoiding trailer tires in any on road application other than on a trailer..

The D902 from Deestone is a bias-ply trailer tire that's designed for use in all wheel positions.

These tires are intended for trailer axles only, and can withstand long miles of in-line hauling. They're not meant for steering or drive axle applications, and their design offers years of reliable service in trailer applications. Choose from favorites like Gladiator, Carlisle and Goodyear trailer tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966 K10 View Post
Ive been running Deestone 9.50x16.5 for 3-4 years now and have about 10K miles so far with no issues other than the usual bias ply flat spot if I leave it sitting for a month. I got them when they were only $50 each, I guess the virus got prices inflated. Here are there regular 16" versions

https://simpletire.com/brands/deesto...&curationPos=0

here is a 6.50 if you want a shorter tire

https://simpletire.com/brands/deesto...pick-top-picks
Old 10-05-2021, 12:17 PM   #15
Killer Bee

here's a list of candidates for 16x5 wheels.. LT type and heavier weight capacity are going to be difficult to find that small but several suitable radials for average daily driving..

click on specs for rim diameter measured and rim width ranges

these run approx 28" diameter and the light truck/suv apps are at the bottom, cooper, firestone, etc. under $150/ea
ALL TIRES FOR 195/75R16

here's a 205/80 that's 29" tall and off road type tread that fits 5-7.5 rims $162/ea - again may not be LT rated for weight capacity but DOT legal for on highway
Vredestein GRIP CLASSIC - SIZE: 205R16 On-/Off-Road All-Terrain

you can go through all 16" sizes and you may find something more to your liking - good luck!
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/sizes...sp?diameter=16
Old 10-05-2021, 12:57 PM   #16
SCOTI

I'd opt for a 215 (or 225) 75-16" tire or step up to a 215/85-16 legit truck tire.

The truck tire is heavier duty than needed on a 1/2 ton most likely but might be just as easy to find & one wouldn't have to worry about them not being good enough for 'truck stuff'. The trade-off would be possible reduction in ride quality but as long as they're not inflated to max pressure they ride fine IMO.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:29 PM   #17
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I'd opt for a 215 (or 225) 75-16" tire or step up to a 215/85-16 legit truck tire.

The truck tire is heavier duty than needed on a 1/2 ton most likely but might be just as easy to find & one wouldn't have to worry about them not being good enough for 'truck stuff'. The trade-off would be possible reduction in ride quality but as long as they're not inflated to max pressure they ride fine IMO.
I agree but as geezer mentioned above, up to the installer to deviate from the recommended wheel size..

LT tires for a 5" wide 16" diameter wheel is going to be tough to find in specs.. but as long as there is enough sidewall to get the right amount of contact on the ground I'd run them..

the challenge is finding a tire shop that actually understands what they're doing outside of a template in their computer..
Old 10-05-2021, 06:08 PM   #18
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
I agree but as geezer mentioned above, up to the installer to deviate from the recommended wheel size..

LT tires for a 5" wide 16" diameter wheel is going to be tough to find in specs.. but as long as there is enough sidewall to get the right amount of contact on the ground I'd run them..

the challenge is finding a tire shop that actually understands what they're doing outside of a template in their computer..
It's a 6" wheel (5" @ the bead). My dually has a 16x6" front wheel. The 215's come on/are spec'd for 16" x 6" dually wheels. My '99 had/has 16x6" fronts. The OE spec tire is a 245/75-16. I have 215's on it.

If the tire shop is Discount Tire (or the like)..... Go somewhere else.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:35 PM   #19
painterljp

Ok you all have me convinced to just go buy tires want 30" thereabouts overall height. So may just get some 215 75 16 will look to get some truck tires. Local Mexican tire shops will put whatever you want on so guess can go there if firestone won't do it. Thank you for all heads up and help figuring it out. Most of tires Killer sent me on link say rim width of 5.5 to 7. So these won't be to shy of the 5" rim. Should work.

Thank you all for your help deciding and figuring this out.. Really didn't want trailer tires again. Am starting to fix up old girl. Thanks again.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:25 PM   #20
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by painterljp View Post
Here's a picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
It's a 6" wheel (5" @ the bead). My dually has a 16x6" front wheel. The 215's come on/are spec'd for 16" x 6" dually wheels. My '99 had/has 16x6" fronts. The OE spec tire is a 245/75-16. I have 215's on it.

If the tire shop is Discount Tire (or the like)..... Go somewhere else.
by her tape measurement, that's a 5" wheel with regards to tire sizing

Wheel width is the distance, in inches, measured from bead seat to bead seat across the barrel of the wheel. Wheel width is used to determine compatible tire sizes and directly affects a tire’s contact patch with the ground. Depending on the width of the wheel, it will either enlarge or shrink your tire’s contact patch, leading to changes in your vehicle’s handling characteristics. The “overall wheel width” is used to determine the wheel backspace and front space measurements.

sounds like you're on the right track for tires

btw, the bead surfaces need to be clean a free of any flaky rust.. tire shop should be able to prep those wheels for a good bead seal.. if it's in the budget, blasted and powered coated would be best.. even a good wire wheel followed by a rattle can job at home should hold up fairly well..

fresh black paint and factory caps would look great - good luck!

I had these 16x7 done for $70 in Huntington Beach, I would hope someone in Albuquerque would give you a better price

Old 10-05-2021, 11:44 PM   #21
painterljp

He'll here they want 200$ to blast and powdercoat a set of rally's for the 68. Have to get a picture of the wheels. Thinking they are black but maybe body color which is same color as truck.

Never in my wildest dreams would I think this much thought has to go into buying a set of tires. Always just went to tire ship and picked out ones I thought would be best for my trucks. Not this one. It's just a 1/2 ton with 6 hole 16s. They are original to truck. Took spare to tire ship to see what I had the tire in back of truck spare. Still had original tube in it still holding air but tread had chunks of rubber out of it. It was a 650 16. Tires on truck are 700 16. They fill up wheel well and look good but just rotten. When my son had those put on 15 years ago all rims were stamped 64 on inside. So they are the originals. This truck only has 31000 miles on it but body is dented on every panel. Got it from original owner back when my daughter was 16 now 38. For 300$ It's been rotting away out in yard since. Finally got a bug to fix it up. Can't even drive it to body shop because of the tires. Replace brakes master cylinder last summer so runs and stops. Now for rest. Not going to do full resto just fix it up to drive around at this point. She can't drive a 4 spd so guess I'll have another truck to drive. LOL.

Thanks for all your help. Lois.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:07 AM   #22
Killer Bee

it could be worse - my dad's 65 had 15" 8 lug snap rings

Old 10-06-2021, 07:24 PM   #23
1966 K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
trailer tires - I would strongly suggest avoiding trailer tires in any on road application other than on a trailer..

The D902 from Deestone is a bias-ply trailer tire that's designed for use in all wheel positions.

These tires are intended for trailer axles only, and can withstand long miles of in-line hauling. They're not meant for steering or drive axle applications, and their design offers years of reliable service in trailer applications. Choose from favorites like Gladiator, Carlisle and Goodyear trailer tires.
That is strange, when I purchased my set they were rated 10 ply LT. They also offered n 8 ply trailer version for 1/2 the price in the same size ($25) They are just rebranded Power Kings which have been around forever. They recently carried 15K CGVW with trailer up the coast 1200 miles in my 74 3+3 with no issues. Tires themselves show almost no wear after years of driving and were the same size and brand that I replaced on the truck. They also looked great and the only reason I got new tires is the old ones were 25years old. They are still going strong on my brothers truck all these years later.

I guess this is the only 'LT' they offer now

https://simpletire.com/brands/deesto...&userZip=98532
1966 K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:42 PM   #24
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966 K10 View Post
That is strange, when I purchased my set they were rated 10 ply LT. They also offered n 8 ply trailer version for 1/2 the price in the same size ($25) They are just rebranded Power Kings which have been around forever. They recently carried 15K CGVW with trailer up the coast 1200 miles in my 74 3+3 with no issues. Tires themselves show almost no wear after years of driving and were the same size and brand that I replaced on the truck. They also looked great and the only reason I got new tires is the old ones were 25years old. They are still going strong on my brothers truck all these years later.

I guess this is the only 'LT' they offer now

https://simpletire.com/brands/deesto...&userZip=98532
yah, in most cases trailer tires should run just fine if used properly, inflation, load, modest driving, etc..

trouble is liability should the vehicle be involved in an accident, tires fault or not it could be questioned..

and for the record - I'm no tire saint

but I do this for a living so I feel obligated to give others safe advice as I'm aware of and fair warning for otherwise
Old 10-08-2021, 11:53 PM   #25
JPBrecheisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by painterljp View Post
Here's a picture.
235/85/16 on factory 16x5 wheels here.

Up to you, but most tires shops will mount whatever you want to loose rims.

I alwaya bring them the wheels only and never have a problem because i assume they are removed from any liability because they didn't put the wheels on the car.

Yes, by the book they're too wide for a 5 inch rim but ive not had any isues.

These are modern radials (Firestone Transforce AT2).
Attached Images

Last edited by JPBrecheisen; 10-09-2021 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Additional information and photos
JPBrecheisen is offline   Reply With Quote