The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2021, 07:28 PM   #1
R&B51

C6 corvette swap- anyone used stock ABS?

05 C6 driveline and transmission, custom frame is done, now 51 body going on top.
Stock C6 ABS module is right in front of steering rack on driver side. I think I figured out a way to get radiator and fan to clear, I was hoping to try and leave this thing in place. Use stock pedal assembly, booster and master and just run new longer brake lines for longer wheelbase that I have now.
Has anyone used the stock ABS system and let the computer control it? I’m not sure if it has its own control module or uses the GM ECM for control. Speartech was acting like they didn’t want to run harness to it - I don’t know if it’s a liability issue?
Posted via Mobile Device
R&B51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:42 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: C6 corvette swap- anyone used stock ABS?

Looking at their site I have to think that the anti lock just isn't in their wheelhouse. Meaning that it is a separate system outside of the engine management systems they work with.

Antilock brakes work when you really have to lay on the brakes and keep you straight rather than let the rear of the pickup come around. I've had the rear brakes on pickups lock up and one ended in a spin out that sent me over a bank and I rolled the 70 Chev 2-1/4 times according to the guys who saw it. I locked up the rear on my 71 GMC and spun out when I Locked up the brakes to keep from hitting a Geo Metro that zipped out in front of me and that guy still doesn't know how close he came to death that night. I was doing 60 when he cut in front of me. Spun the truck 360 and the spin was so hard that it broke the alternator bracket.

Had a Mustang rag top that was doing somewhere around 140 coming down the road hit the brakes when she finally saw the stalled semi and wrecked car blocking the road in front of my driveway one night hit her brakes and while she didn't get stopped the anti lock kept that car straight rather than spinning. She still hit the tank truck and killed the guy in the passenger seat. It sounded like a car racing at Bonneville when she was coming down the road as you could hear the air break around the car a mile down the road but didn't hear the exhaust.

That simply means that if you can figure the anti lock out it will be worth the effort.
Stopping straight lets you maintain control unless you are going crazy fast.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 03:37 PM   #3
R&B51

mr48chev-
Very wise advice and experience! I think we’ve all been through some of those 360’s but I’ve definitely not rolled or flipped one like that!
Sure am glad you’re still with us.
One thing I’m having to figure in is that this thing should be about 6-800 pounds lighter than the Corvette with the same 400 stock horsepower so should be pretty light and weight distributed well. Hopefully that will not mess with ABS system. From what I understand ABS system really just goes off wheel speed and adjust brake application.
A lot of the motivation for this ABS stuff was because this truck is a build for my 20 something son that we are working on together and maybe all of us are a little more careful with somebody else that we are ourselves.
I just had a guy bounce back to me that makes the harnesses and he said the ABS is run by a separate system. Runs off of the body module computer. I’ll be using the basic ECM, the transmission has one - or so I’m told- must be part of the main ECM- and now the body control module.
Definitely not an expert on these kind of things but just trying to figure it out as I go. I was kind of hoping that if I used as much stock gear as possible that everything would run smoothly since it did on the stock Corvette.
Maybe somebody on the site understands these more thoroughly?
Hopefully, will just be a matter of mounting it, providing power to it, and getting it out to the ABS system and wheel speed monitors.
Sidenote, I think I have figured out that I have to be careful not to miss match tire sizes from stock. The Corvette wheel height/diameter was within 1 inch of each other front to rear and the way I understand it, I have to maintain that as I figure out my rims and tires or it freaks out the ABS system.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:42 PM   #4
LS34Ford

Remember the ABS is also traction control, so no burnouts. It can be hooked up but you need to get a stock harness with the connections to the ABS module and a wiring diagram. You have to spice in the wires from the wheel sensors to the main computer, but I don't remember which pins. It also takes a 60 amp fuse to run the ABS module hooked direct to the battery, You will see that in the wiring diagram. Most people do not hook it up when they do this conversion. The only problem I have is I never figured out how to turn it off, so it is engaged at all times, which for me is good. You can also hook up the variable steering if you have the stock wiring harness for the connections and then follow diagram to where it goes.

Hope this helps
LS34Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:35 PM   #5
R&B51

LS34Ford
Thanks for your experience on this.
Oooey, I would get lost quick in trying to do something like this myself. I’ve got basic wiring skills so sounds like something I need to try and talk someone into setting up for me. I assume this would be in the body harness area and I guess I will start looking for someone willing to custom make one for me.
Glad to know it’s possible based on your response
Old 10-05-2021, 08:06 AM   #6
LS34Ford

What I bought was an engine harness which was stripped by someone installing an LS in something, leaving the ABS and other circuits. This build I am doing came with a complete original harness so I can just strip out what I need.

Good Luck
LS34Ford is offline   Reply With Quote