The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2021, 03:39 AM   #1
Brim

Power Steering Hose OEM

Hello everyone,
My 64 fleetside has a leaking power steering hose. Any suggestions on where to purchase one. Closest to the shape of the original that I have found at the auto parts stores is this one from O'Riley's.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...ing+hose&pos=0

It is identical to the one I need to replace however it has a female end on one end instead of male on both ends like the original. Brothers Trucks, LMC and Classic Truck Parts do not seem to carry a hose shaped as the original.

I don't understand why replacements aren't available. It seems I shouldn't have to buy an additional inverted flare just to make it work. Am I missing something? I have looked at hoses for Nova's, Chevelles etc. in hopes that they would be similar to no avail....

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 09:07 AM   #2
MT65

Re: Power Steering Hose OEM

The whole issue is supply vs demand, our trucks are old, just a fact, how many power steering hoses have you needed….after a period of time the manufacturing stops because demand is low…personally I have never had a power steering hose problem and I am older than the trucks.
If you’re a purist, you may have a problem, if you’re a realist, get some adapters and make both ends into #6 jic, then go to your favorite hydraulics shop and get your hose made….
MT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 09:21 AM   #3
The Rocknrod

https://www.classicparts.com/1963-66...tinfo/76-938Y/
Maybe? - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+assembly,7317
https://www.agrometricx.com/index.ph...ucts_id=485776
https://www.qsecurenews.com/index.ph...ucts_id=145449
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:32 PM   #4
Brim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT65 View Post
The whole issue is supply vs demand, our trucks are old, just a fact, how many power steering hoses have you needed….after a period of time the manufacturing stops because demand is low…personally I have never had a power steering hose problem and I am older than the trucks.
If you’re a purist, you may have a problem, if you’re a realist, get some adapters and make both ends into #6 jic, then go to your favorite hydraulics shop and get your hose made….
Yes sir, understood. Thanks
Old 10-08-2021, 12:36 PM   #5
61hawk

Check with parts stores, smaller the better. A local Carquest store will make any hose you want as long as they have the fittings.
61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:37 PM   #6
Brim

Might have to try one of these and break out my tube bender. Appreciate you sending me the links sir.

-Mark
Old 10-08-2021, 08:08 PM   #7
Brim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61hawk View Post
Check with parts stores, smaller the better. A local Carquest store will make any hose you want as long as they have the fittings.
Yes sir, I have been checking and trying other year's that are Chevy trying to find one that will work. I have found a company that makes hydraulic hoses. I might try them on Monday if the Auto Parts search doesn't produce anything that will work.

I wonder if I take my old hose to Car Quest could they use my old fittings on the new hose?

-Mark
Old 10-09-2021, 09:45 PM   #8
61hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brim View Post
Yes sir, I have been checking and trying other year's that are Chevy trying to find one that will work. I have found a company that makes hydraulic hoses. I might try them on Monday if the Auto Parts search doesn't produce anything that will work.

I wonder if I take my old hose to Car Quest could they use my old fittings on the new hose?

-Mark

Can't reuse fittings. If it's as simple as ordering from a catalog company for the right hose I'd just go that route.
61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 04:16 AM   #9
Brim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61hawk View Post
Can't reuse fittings. If it's as simple as ordering from a catalog company for the right hose I'd just go that route.
Ok thanks.
Old 10-10-2021, 04:34 AM   #10
Brim

I had a flare fitting on the back of my pump that would not budge even with a flare nut wrench. I ended up having to take the whole pump off just to change the line. Once I got the pump off I ended up having to take the connection off at that back of the pump by backing it out and spinning it. Then once the line was free I got a couple wrenches on both ends and broke it loose. Really need to pick a table and vise for my new house. Left the old one for my daughter & husband. What a PITA that line was to break free.

I have done my share of wrenching and have changed a few power steering pumps in my days but this one sucked. Now I am thinking about swapping the pump out too because I don't know how old it is and it's off anyway. I figure I might as well replace the return line while I am at it.

Got to work today later on so if I get a chance I might run to a few auto parts stores before going in and see what they have as far as replacements or a hose that is close to a match. If not I might have to have one made. Someone must of swapped the steering box out before I bought it because I don't have the older setup located on the pittman arm.

-Mark
Old 10-10-2021, 05:51 AM   #11
The Rocknrod

You might want to post a pic of your steering box, I have a suspicion that you have an AN fitting adapter on it hence the female fitting on one end of the hose.
Old 10-10-2021, 12:17 PM   #12
Brim

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
You might want to post a pic of your steering box, I have a suspicion that you have an AN fitting adapter on it hence the female fitting on one end of the hose.
Here is a few pics of my steering box and pressure line, steering box does not have "AN" fittings or the pump. I have male to male on both ends of the pressure line hose.

Name:  Steering Box.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  95.4 KB

Name:  Steering Box 2.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  73.4 KB

Name:  Power Steering Pressure Line Male to Male.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  106.0 KB

Name:  Power Steering Pump.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  84.6 KB

-Mark

Last edited by Brim; 10-10-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:08 PM   #13
The Rocknrod

Thats an easy one, Edelman makes that. Try #71236.
Old 10-10-2021, 05:19 PM   #14
Brim

Quote:
Thats an easy one, Edelman makes that. Try #71236.

Appreciate your help sir. That part number is for the return line. I drove to several NAPA's today and found some close but at the steering box end the flare nuts were always one size too big. Mine are 5/8 by 11/16 so I am thinking the ones we were pulling were 13/16.

Anyway I might just have to find a additional reducer flare nut to tie everything in. I ordered this one but it will have to be shipped so I will have til wait until Thursday of this week to see if it works, seems no other stores around me had one in stock.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NPS7...&gclsrc=aw.ds&

My Truck is my only mode of transportation and the wife works so I might need to wait until her next day off to use her car to run around town. But if the hose comes in and it don't work I will just have one made locally. Looks like I'm on the bus until then.

-Mark
Old 10-11-2021, 09:31 AM   #15
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brim View Post
Appreciate your help sir. That part number is for the return line. I drove to several NAPA's today and found some close but at the steering box end the flare nuts were always one size too big. Mine are 5/8 by 11/16 so I am thinking the ones we were pulling were 13/16.

Thanks for letting me know that I didnt have that on my parts list. It's Edelman 70917 is what I used.
The one you show uses o-rings, the one I list here is inverted flare. Sorry for the confusion.
Attached Images

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 10-11-2021 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:41 PM   #16
Brim

Quote:
Thanks for letting me know that I didnt have that on my parts list. It's Edelman 70917 is what I used.
The one you show uses o-rings, the one I list here is inverted flare. Sorry for the confusion.
No thank you for all your help sir. I will get it figured out.

-Mark
Old 10-12-2021, 08:43 PM   #17
Brim

I got it fixed today guys. Here is the hose that worked for me. Ended up going to Auto Zone and got lucky that the counterman was willing to help a little more than just reading what's in the computer. We broke out a dial indicator and compared my flares on the old hose. Looks like this particular hose fits 69-75. Really you just have to be sure of the flared nut size and threads.

https://www.autozone.com/suspension-...917/204644_0_0

Looks like all throughout the years the shape of the hose changed a little. If you don't want to go the "AN" fitting route just have to search a little. Also I read on here that in "1981" is when they went too metric. I didn't realize that the previous owner had installed a different steering box. He was an older gentleman and passed soon after I bought the truck. Bought it from a good friend of mines relative. I think there towards the end he was paying people to do the work on the truck.

On a side note that damn pressure line did not want to come out the back of the pump and when it did break free it spun the flare nut off the back of the pump. I had to spin the hose off to get it apart and once it separated from the housing as a whole I was able to break them loose from each other. If you ever run into this be careful because there is a small like piston in the pump that is spring loaded and will only work when facing a certain way. It can be really easy to put it in backwards and your pump will not work right. Anyway I'm back on the road again. Appreciate everyone's help on here.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by Brim; 10-12-2021 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-08-2021, 01:18 AM   #18
Brim

http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/i...s/pspsheet.pdf

Update, now the pump is leaking. After wiping everything down trying to chase the leak I have come to the conclusion that it is coming from the housing so I'm pretty sure it's an o-ring from within. Sucks, so now I can either get the seal kit for $15 and break it down or just replace the pump. My pump appears to be the 75-79 Camaro, Caprice, Impala type and a replacement runs about $60.

-Mark