The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2021, 01:24 PM   #1
Travs rod shop

1954 replacement doors any good ?

Before pulling the trigger on a new door , what brand of door is worth the money ? Any one have good feedback on whats out there ?? Thanks
Travs rod shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:58 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 1954 replacement doors any good ?

Drive over to Classic Heartbeat and ask Wes. No joke you have one of the most knowledgeable aftermarket parts guys in the country right in your back yard who is real picky about what he sells.

Most repro parts aren't without issues though.

I've got a pair of 53 doors that should be pretty decent but would have to dig them out and take a serious look at them.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 02:13 PM   #3
Travs rod shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Drive over to Classic Heartbeat and ask Wes. No joke you have one of the most knowledgeable aftermarket parts guys in the country right in your back yard who is real picky about what he sells.

Most repro parts aren't without issues though.

I've got a pair of 53 doors that should be pretty decent but would have to dig them out and take a serious look at them.
I called him yesterday, he has no real idea how the fit and finish is,, Says hes sold a few but no real first hand knowledge...
Travs rod shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:28 PM   #4
MiraclePieCo

One thing I see consistently: Guys will buy brand new reproduction parts, try to bolt them onto a 70-year-old vehicle with decades of bumps, bruises, wear and tear, and god knows how many patches and repairs, then when there are fitment issues they blame the brand-new parts. WTH???
Old 10-10-2021, 10:58 PM   #5
mr48chev

From what I have seen getting the gaps right from the factory meant that you didn't have cold air getting in around the doors. For guys building a nice truck that is going to have good paint getting the gaps right is going to mean a lot of work.

Panel fitment be it a door or a hood or maybe even a fender has always been an issue when swapping parts. I probably tried ten hoods before I found one I was happy with.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:40 PM   #6
vintovka

I think i have a original, used, replacement drivers door on my 54. It fits "ok" but seals like fecal matter. My original door was damaged on the ranch when i accidently rolled backwards and caught it on a tree. I have no doubt i damaged the cab door opening as well. I have heard this is/was a common issue when backing up with the door open to see.

I might add i was able to try several doors at the junk yard (decades ago) and the one i chose was the "best fit". Many were "all over the place" fit wise Still having issues with poor sealing and wind noise despite add on surface seals.

I have always thought that original doors were hand fitted to the cab at the factory. They may have had a number of different doors to try when assembling. Martins pic of an ad cab being assembled in another thread says it all. The reproduction door makers may have just a single original to copy, so fit is not assured. Given my experience with even original doors and repro parts i would really avoid the latter completely.
vintovka is online now   Reply With Quote