The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2021, 08:55 PM   #1
sk8rgui

Radiator Questions - Leaning toward Champion

My radiator has recently developed a leak and I'm looking to replace it. I don't have a powerful, supped up engine, nor do I have heat issues. I do like the look of the aluminum radiators and I'd prefer the electric fan setup.

I have an 82 2WD C10 with
  • 350 CC Engine
  • AC
  • Turbo 350 Transmission

I'm leaning towards the Champion EC716 package and it seems like lots of people on here have had luck with Champion Radiators. I've got a few questions and I'm hoping someone has used this package or something similar.
  1. It looks like the area on the top right is a heater plug, but I can't tell if it's plugged up or what. Does anyone know if that is where the heater hooks up? It's hard for me to tell how that area looks/works from the pictures(probably a dumb question, just trying to avoid future headaches)
  2. How do you mount theses type of radiators. Do they use the stock brackets with rubber mounts? Or is there a lot of modification to the radiator mounts
  3. Anything special need to be done when flushing these systems with something like BlueDevil Radiator flush.
  4. The thermostat/relay kit add on - Any experience with it? I've seen some say that various relay kits make the car run too hot/cold.

Current radiator dimensions
  • Approximate Core Dimensions: 18.75 tall (fin to fin) x 28.5 wide x 1.5 inch deep
  • Approximate Exterior Dimensions: 20.25 tall x roughly 34 wide
  • 3 small rows of fins inside it

Thanks in advanced

Last edited by sk8rgui; 10-16-2021 at 09:03 PM.
sk8rgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:32 PM   #2
karlbenz

Re: Radiator Questions - Leaning toward Champion

I would stick with the stock fan and shroud.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:46 AM   #3
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

If you decide to go with the Champion, they are top notch products. I've used them in a few of my builds (not in any of my square body trucks). I have one of their radiators in my 50 Chevrolet (car) and the fit was perfect, bolt holes etc. I would call and inquire about direct fit, my guess would be it will fit as needed.

I agree with karlbenz though, factory style with a mechanical fan will most always give flawless performance.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'30 Model A Pickup, suicide front end, 350, 350, traditional style hot rod.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:57 PM   #4
sk8rgui

Wanted to provide an update in case others stumble upon this thread. I looked around quite a bit trying to decide what to go with. Replacement parts for my truck are hard to find right now at my local auto store in St. Louis, Missouri. I could only find two radiators locally that were the proper dimensions: a single row at O’reilys for $190 and a two row at Napa for $225.

I ended up researching a lot of radiators online (Griffin, Misimoto, Champion, Summit Racing’s in house brand). I ended up going with a 3 row Champion from Jegs.com They were one of the only places that had some in stock. I got the CC716 Champion 3 row radiator for $259.

According to the folks at Ledfoot Racing, it’s supposed to be a direct drop in replacement (I would have ordered it from them, but they didn’t have it in stock). They recommended the 3 row since I have a 350 engine with factory air.

The install wasn’t exactly drop in, but it was minimal work. The big issues I had are the following:
  • The inlet is 1.5 inch and our factory radiator inlets are 1.25. I replaced all my hoses, but the top inlet hose that connects the thermostat housing and the radiator wouldn’t fit. I ended up making my old worn hose fit, but I don’t really trust it. I plan to swap it with a new one and this adapter from summit racing.
  • The radiator support brackets were in the way of the filler tube, so i had to trim a bit of the top of the radiator support bracket off with a cutoff wheel.

Along with the swap I did a full radiator flush through my old radiator, swapped hoses, and put a new thermostat on. I haven’t put the shroud back on yet, but it’s keeping the truck cool, maybe a bit too cool. My trucks staying on or just above the quarter tick mark on my temperature gauge. It did get up to about the halfway mark after running around for an hour or so yesterday, but most the time it stays by the quarter mark. (In the past it always stayed around the halfway mark)

This could be due to the amount of gunk that was in my old setup, it was pretty barnacled up. This might also be the 160 degree thermostat they gave me at the parts store (need to research correct temp for my truck). Also, it might be due to the cooler temps (50-60) we are having right now. Maybe it’s a combination.

Overall, I’d recommend it. I’ve only got about 3 hours on truck since the swap, but it seems to be doing well. Time will really tell. I’ll update here as things change.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:32 PM   #5
sk8rgui

Just a quick search here looks like they gave me the non-recommended temp on the thermostat. That would probably would be enough to make it run cool. Looks like O’reilys say I should be running a 195 degree thermostat. People on this forum seem to recommend a 180 to 195 degree thermostat.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:37 PM   #6
karlbenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rgui View Post
Just a quick search here looks like they gave me the non-recommended temp on the thermostat. That would probably would be enough to make it run cool. Looks like O’reilys say I should be running a 195 degree thermostat. People on this forum seem to recommend a 180 to 195 degree thermostat.
I've always run 180 on older stuff
Old 10-25-2021, 11:52 PM   #7
Bloodhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlbenz View Post
I've always run 180 on older stuff
Same.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:45 AM   #8
LT7A

I was guessing that the lower temp thermostat was the reason you were running so much cooler. Couldn't swear to it though, so it's good that the other guys chimed in and that you checked what's specified online. Thanks for coming back here with the info.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:16 AM   #9
sk8rgui

Awesome. I will grab a 180 degree thermostat and try that out. Thanks for all the confirmations.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2021, 10:18 AM   #10
sk8rgui

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
I was guessing that the lower temp thermostat was the reason you were running so much cooler. Couldn't swear to it though, so it's good that the other guys chimed in and that you checked what's specified online. Thanks for coming back here with the info.
No problem. I’ve lurked here on and off for a long time. Now that I am finally starting to fix my truck I plan to post/participate more often.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2021, 12:21 PM   #11
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
Same.
180 for sure with most carburetor engines.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'30 Model A Pickup, suicide front end, 350, 350, traditional style hot rod.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:19 AM   #12
dieseldawg142

a 160 thermostat will keep your temp gauge at the first quarter tick mark.
I been running a champeen 3 core on my 454 k30 since 2011 with zero probs. i also run a 160 t-stat cause i go up some mother huge hills wit my camper and quad trailer. with the 160 on a long uphill pull in 80-90 degree weather with the camper and trailer, the temp gauge will nudge up to 195-200-ish. with the 180 it would get close to overheating, around 220+
i'll take the cooler temps with the 160 running around empty any day.
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote