The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2017, 02:32 PM   #1
1970pelle

Rhino Liner I Inherited with my C20

The bed liner has long since faded. And now I see places its starting to peel on the inside bed floor. I have about 10 spots where I have haul something heavy and scraped the liner. So after some time, water has seeped under it and lifted a small area. What is the correct fix?
Removing an area, till you find good stuck on liner. Then have it resprayed in affected places? I'm not a big fan of this stuff in the first place.
Any idea's, but please keep them in mind of the real world. Like cost. I have a lot of time. So the thought of removing it doesn't frighten me.

Thanks Ken

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.”
― Ronald Reagan
1970pelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:10 PM   #2
tucsonjwt

Re: Rhino Liner I Inherited with my C20

I don't know if it is compatible with Rhino Liner, but I used Harbor Freight Iron Armor on my 83 bed, then covered it with a drop in liner. The Rhino Liner I had on my 72 C20 was very thick, so I am surprised that any of it would wear off.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #3
ACS

If you don't like the stuff and don't want to spend money getting it redone, i'd probably just wire wheel it off in the areas it's damaged or missing and prime/paint with black implement enamel.

If you want to address the fading, SEM makes some aerosol plastic trim paint that would likely adhere to it.
ACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:55 PM   #4
ranger danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970pelle View Post
The bed liner has long since faded. And now I see places its starting to peel on the inside bed floor. I have about 10 spots where I have haul something heavy and scraped the liner. So after some time, water has seeped under it and lifted a small area. What is the correct fix?
Removing an area, till you find good stuck on liner. Then have it resprayed in affected places? I'm not a big fan of this stuff in the first place.
Any idea's, but please keep them in mind of the real world. Like cost. I have a lot of time. So the thought of removing it doesn't frighten me.

Thanks Ken
Is this one of the "professionally" applied products? If so, most are guaranteed for life. I would go back to them and see about getting it repaired by them.
US Navy 1979-1983 Gunners Mate Guns (GMG)
NRA Life Member

Unrestrained Children in back seats cause Accidents.
Unrestrained Accidents in back seats cause Children.
ranger danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:48 PM   #5
1970pelle

Yes its Rhino Liner, has the tag on the inside of the bed. But I'm not original owner of the truck who had the liner installed. I did some checking and the warranty is not transferable.
I do know that a heat gun will get the stuff soft and it peels right up. I'll most likely remove it all and respray the inside bed the outside matching color.

Thanks.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.”
― Ronald Reagan
1970pelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
ranger danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970pelle View Post
Yes its Rhino Liner, has the tag on the inside of the bed. But I'm not original owner of the truck who had the liner installed. I did some checking and the warranty is not transferable.
I do know that a heat gun will get the stuff soft and it peels right up. I'll most likely remove it all and respray the inside bed the outside matching color.

Thanks.
I think I would still check with a Rhino Liner dealer and see what they would charge to fix it. You never know!!
US Navy 1979-1983 Gunners Mate Guns (GMG)
NRA Life Member

Unrestrained Children in back seats cause Accidents.
Unrestrained Accidents in back seats cause Children.
ranger danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:38 PM   #7
tucsonjwt

I would still consider saving the Rhino Liner and adding a drop in liner. I think that is the best of both worlds, since the drop in liner will wear away the paint in the bed.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:03 AM   #8
andrewmp6

Does it have any kinda life time warranty on it ?If not i would take a heat gun and scrap it all off the whole bed.It shouldn't fade and if its lifting it was never installed right so the rest will probably do the same.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote