The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2024, 07:08 PM   #1
howzzzit

Fender adjusment

Is there any way to bring in the top of the fender at the blue arrows? The fender to door sticks out from about the body line up to the top. (red arrows) I don't see any in/out adjustment on the top fender mounts under the cowl. Door seems to line up everywhere. (I think) It's the original fender and never wrecked. Door never removed. Probably been that way forever, but I don't like it. Thanks
Attached Images

howzzzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:06 PM   #2
Roostre

Re: Fender adjusment

Are you saying that the fender sticks out from the door at your red arrows? If so, can you loosen up the mounting points under the cowl, lean against the fender, and retighten them? Effectively you would be taking a little of the bend out of the fender.

Body shops don't typically like owners watching them put their vehicles back together because the persuasion sometimes required doesn't always look the prettiest. It doesn't hurt the vehicle, but sure looks like it should.
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:32 PM   #3
howzzzit

Yes from the red arrows. It would take a pretty good slam to move the fender mount at the top. Too bad it's not the other way and a shim or two could fix the problem. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2024, 08:35 PM   #4
Casper42
Account Suspended

I'm not sure what you're saying or seeing on the fender to cowl - yours looks nice. The fender to door however - the door should be slightly pushed inward where it meets the fender, thus the fender overlaps just a bit.
Casper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:36 PM   #5
hugger6933

That above comment brings to mind a 68 Pontiac LeMans I did and had to stand on the fender at the back and even ended up cutting pie cuts in the inner structure so the fender to door opening gap would be decent. Yeah people dont want to see how the sausage is made so to speak. when I say stand on the fender I was well over 350 lbs then. I'm much smaller now a svelte 300
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:42 PM   #6
howzzzit

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzzzit View Post
Yes from the red arrows. It would take a pretty good slam to move the fender mount at the top. Too bad it's not the other way and a shim or two could fix the problem. Thanks.
Casper the fender to door overlaps too much above the body line. That's my issue. And on another subject who hasn't tweaked a door with a 2x4?
Old 03-15-2024, 01:10 AM   #7
Richard

Move the top of the door out a tad. Loosen upper hinge bolts on door. It will accomplish the same thing. If no adjustment available at hinge, slot the hinge holes with a burr bit. If not happy with cowl after that adjustment. Loosen those bolts and adjust to your satisfaction. Worst case cut upper fender mount off of fender, take some metal off and re-weld. These trucks were never made to have excellent gaps and alignment from the factory. To get it there may take quite a bit of effort.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote