The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2021, 09:57 AM   #626
88Stanger

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

Ok, so this past weekend I went with the motorcycle club i was member with for years until recently and we went white water rafting... well they did, i have a fresh tattoo that says i cannot so instead i took just over 1000 pics for the group, damn that is alot but there are 5 and 6 action shots of a bunch, but it was a great time. Unfortunately took time away from the truck, but it is a good reset. This next weekend I have family in town and i must fulfill a promise to my Cousin whom asked me to put her ashes in a lake our families used to live on and visit... so that is set for this weekend. Then it is back to truck!!

I am going to clean up the epoxy primer coat, insert seam sealer all over the damn thing and then give it a good thick primer coat and then fog on some black and start sanding, get it close to done and then set the cab on the frame and start to pre-assemble the rest of the body panels, get them all squared up, and then back off for final prep for paint... then re-assemble for 1 last time!! I say that like it is just simple .... lol ya not...
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:24 PM   #627
Paul Y

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

So done by the end of the month then....

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:32 AM   #628
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Y View Post
So done by the end of the month then....

P.
Yes......... now which month that is the real question, but Yes, by the end of THAT month....

LOL
Old 06-15-2021, 06:10 PM   #629
Paul Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Yes......... now which month that is the real question, but Yes, by the end of THAT month....

LOL
Nearly as conclusive as 'done by Christmas....'

P.

Old 06-15-2021, 06:29 PM   #630
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Nearly as conclusive as 'done by Christmas....'

P.
Especially if you have to wait for parts.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:59 AM   #631
Paul Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Especially if you have to wait for parts.
Try the veal I am here till Tuesday....

P.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:07 AM   #632
88Stanger

Ok, I need some advice and suggestions.

I have been hinting at a very cool idea I had that now is the time to describe to you all what that idea is and get any suggestions you have or thoughts.

So my idea (i am not known to be the "Norm" lol) is to exit the exhaust up threw the bed of the truck, bring it up at say a 45 Degree angle towards the back. Kind like how some dump the exhaust just below the rear axle, well this would basically be the opposite. If you watch Street Outlaws, like Cantu's truck. I know that it is different, i will build a protection style aluminum guard where the exit from the bed wood is done.

Issues I am thinking about is rain when I am not running it. I do not want to install a tractor flapper, but maybe a drain hole at the bottom, kind of like big trucks, but looking for any suggestions or warning or .....

Anyways, just a thought I have, not sure i will do this, but i like the idea, its different.
Please comment
Old 06-23-2021, 10:31 AM   #633
SCOTI

Quote:

I have been hinting at a very cool idea I had that now is the time to describe to you all what that idea is and get any suggestions you have or thoughts.

So my idea (i am not known to be the "Norm" lol) is to exit the exhaust up threw the bed of the truck, bring it up at say a 45 Degree angle towards the back. Kind like how some dump the exhaust just below the rear axle, well this would basically be the opposite. If you watch Street Outlaws, like Cantu's truck. I know that it is different, i will build a protection style aluminum guard where the exit from the bed wood is done.

Issues I am thinking about is rain when I am not running it. I do not want to install a tractor flapper, but maybe a drain hole at the bottom, kind of like big trucks, but looking for any suggestions or warning or .....

Anyways, just a thought I have, not sure i will do this, but i like the idea, its different.
Please comment
I get your desire for 'being different' but will also respectfully nod my head in disagreement because it's a current fad. It's the cool thing now to poke your exhaust out the (whatever) body panel w/a stainless trim plate to accessorize the opening (Look @ me! Look @ me!!).

It's a classic truck. Keep it clean & traditional so in 10yrs it's still clean & traditional is my logic. Your opinion may differ. Nothing wrong w/that either.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:48 AM   #634
SkinnyG

What if you wanted to carry something in it?
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:47 AM   #635
Paul Y

Quote:

Please comment
Funny enough I saw that last night watching WWE, sorry Street Outlaws...

For a pure drag vehicle I can see why you would do that - space probably being the biggest but also probably some kind of aero benefit...possibly...

For a street truck... mmmmm... feels a bit try hard, but that is purely my opinion and, as we all know opinions are like.....

Why not go for some big rig"stacks" (please insert emoji of tongue in cheek to indicate sarcasm)

Your truck, your choice.

Do what makes you happy.

P.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:54 AM   #636
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I get your desire for 'being different' but will also respectfully nod my head in disagreement because it's a current fad. It's the cool thing now to poke your exhaust out the (whatever) body panel w/a stainless trim plate to accessorize the opening (Look @ me! Look @ me!!).

It's a classic truck. Keep it clean & traditional so in 10yrs it's still clean & traditional is my logic. Your opinion may differ. Nothing wrong w/that either.
I can honestly see your point here. I have done the "Out the body panel" a few years ago on the "69. I was just thinking something a bit different to set apart from everyone else, but then again there are several other things i will am doing that will do that for me. LOL
I appreciate your opinion and thank you for sharing.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:54 AM   #637
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
What if you wanted to carry something in it?
Thanks for the question. I honestly do not plan on having anything in the bed... famous last words .... lol
Old 06-24-2021, 09:56 AM   #638
88Stanger

Quote:
Funny enough I saw that last night watching WWE, sorry Street Outlaws...

For a pure drag vehicle I can see why you would do that - space probably being the biggest but also probably some kind of aero benefit...possibly...

For a street truck... mmmmm... feels a bit try hard, but that is purely my opinion and, as we all know opinions are like.....

Why not go for some big rig"stacks" (please insert emoji of tongue in cheek to indicate sarcasm)

Your truck, your choice.

Do what makes you happy.

P.
LOL stacks out out the bed...

I appreciate your thoughts on this and actually what you said about "Trying to Hard" is exactly what i was not trying to get as a reaction but was worried that may happen.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:00 AM   #639
88Stanger

So, after readying each of your replies and thinking more about it, i think I will just dump the exhaust in front to the rear axle. I am not a big out the rear exhaust guy. I like the idea but rather just dump it at or near the axle, simple and easy.

I appreciate and respect each of your comments and thoughts and you all bring great points up and that is why I posted the question, sometimes you need someone else to look at it, give you their thoughts and then make a final thought. So again, Thank you.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:45 AM   #640
SCOTI

Quote:
So, after readying each of your replies and thinking more about it, i think I will just dump the exhaust in front to the rear axle. I am not a big out the rear exhaust guy. I like the idea but rather just dump it at or near the axle, simple and easy.

I appreciate and respect each of your comments and thoughts and you all bring great points up and that is why I posted the question, sometimes you need someone else to look at it, give you their thoughts and then make a final thought. So again, Thank you.
"All the way to the bumper" exhaust minimizes dust/dirt under the truck vs. dumped @ the rear housing. Anything w/a decent cam & cylinder pressure will create quite the dust storm where the road surface allows when the exhaust is dumped under the bed.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 06-24-2021, 10:52 AM   #641
SkinnyG

^^^ True.

Not a problem for a street vehicle, but does blow dust around in my garage. '77 dumps with turn downs at the axle. No drone on the highway, but it's pretty chest-intoxicating at traffic lights.

Also, I think, there is a risk of corrosion from exhaust gasses lingering under the bed.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:09 PM   #642
SCOTI

Quote:
^^^ True.

Not a problem for a street vehicle, but does blow dust around in my garage. '77 dumps with turn downs at the axle. No drone on the highway, but it's pretty chest-intoxicating at traffic lights.

Also, I think, there is a risk of corrosion from exhaust gasses lingering under the bed.
In the big picture..... My ride? It's not highly detailed. It has flaky paint & some rust. I don't care about dust stirring under the bed/body from the dumped exhaust.

I head to a local gathering of enthusiasts. The ground @ the parking lot is dusty & dirty. I pull though the lot dusting the path traveled as I go. Everyone in close proximity gets the fall-out. Those w/nice detailed/painted rides & the people standing/walking around checking out everyone's efforts. It's goes on their rides in in their lungs/eyes.

Just a different perspective. You can embrace it or ignore it but it happens.

I don't like being that guy. I try to plan/build my exhaust exits to minimize impact on others.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 06-24-2021, 05:24 PM   #643
SkinnyG

Ah. Fair enough. The hooligan in me didn't think about others; I don't really go to shows, but that's a very fair point.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:34 PM   #644
SCOTI

Quote:
Ah. Fair enough. The hooligan in me didn't think about others; I don't really go to shows, but that's a very fair point.
Full disclosure: I've never been a fan of the 'dump'em in front of the rear axle' set-ups.

I didn't notice this "party-foul" @ shows actually. Once upon a time a few years ago here in Dallas we had an old-school burgers & beers drive-in joint that drew a pretty decent Fri/Sat night crowd during the warmer months (so March - Oct here).

On the back lot of this facility people would park, set-up their lawn chairs in front of their vehicles, & hang-out to talk w/friends & like minded peeps. It was there that I watched several vehicles roll through w/the exhaust stirring up everything worse than a street sweeper. People had to cover their food & turn their heads etc....

I just don't want to be the guy that gets the ride you just spent 2hrs cleaning up dirty 30 secs after I pull in.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 06-25-2021, 06:04 PM   #645
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Full disclosure: I've never been a fan of the 'dump'em in front of the rear axle' set-ups.

I didn't notice this "party-foul" @ shows actually. Once upon a time a few years ago here in Dallas we had an old-school burgers & beers drive-in joint that drew a pretty decent Fri/Sat night crowd during the warmer months (so March - Oct here).

On the back lot of this facility people would park, set-up their lawn chairs in front of their vehicles, & hang-out to talk w/friends & like minded peeps. It was there that I watched several vehicles roll through w/the exhaust stirring up everything worse than a street sweeper. People had to cover their food & turn their heads etc....

I just don't want to be the guy that gets the ride you just spent 2hrs cleaning up dirty 30 secs after I pull in.
Valid point, I am also toying with the idea of installing side exhaust, not through the bed, just below it. If do the exhaust it must be somewhat simple and not hard... lol bends all over... ya that would be a disaster if i try that.

here is a pic of the tip
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2021, 06:05 PM   #646
88Stanger

This is just an idea...
Old 06-25-2021, 06:11 PM   #647
88Stanger

The other idea is just round pipe out the side before the rear tire....
Old 06-25-2021, 07:55 PM   #648
SCOTI

Quote:
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 06-25-2021, 11:46 PM   #649
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Nascar oval pipes??

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:27 AM   #650
SkinnyG

Boom Tubes!

Through the step on a stepside....