The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
srsummers

Frame Swap

I know this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it. What would it take to put my 65 SWB cab, front clip and bed on a 76 SWB frame? I found a good deal on a 76 Short bed rolling chasis.
srsummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Frame Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsummers View Post
I know this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it. What would it take to put my 65 SWB cab, front clip and bed on a 76 SWB frame? I found a good deal on a 76 Short bed rolling chasis.
I can't give an accurate answer for the 65 body to 75 frame.

I can say this..... I'm doing a 64 body to a 68 frame. The front bed panel back is basically the same on both frames, & I had to relocate the rear cab mounts, front radiator support mounts, front bumper, radiator mount, & modify the frame horns. Since you can mount a later model bed on the earlier frame, the frame structures are similar enough to make the swap possible. But, it will take a lot of cross reference measuring and/or 'customizing' for the mount locations.

Is there something wrong w/the 65 frame to warrant the swap?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
srsummers

No, nothing wrong with the 65 frame. I just prefer leaf springs, disc brakes and 5 lug wheels.
srsummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsummers View Post
No, nothing wrong with the 65 frame. I just prefer leaf springs, disc brakes and 5 lug wheels.
It would be easier to swap the 5-lug discs over & add some coil perches to the leaf rear-end housing. You wouldn't get the leafs, but it would be alot less work.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:30 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
It would be easier to swap the 5-lug discs over & add some coil perches to the leaf rear-end housing. You wouldn't get the leafs, but it would be alot less work.

I've done what you're asking about. You'll have to build new body mount brackets on the frame starting with the front can mounts and working your way back. You basically end up with a truck that sits about like a stock 1/2 ton 4 x 4.

There is another option for using the newer frame which would be to cut the front of the frame and drop the radiator support, and also raise the floor of the bed, so that the cab can sit down on the frame similar to an original frame. This opens up another set of issues though too.

I really wouldn't recommend switching to the '76 frame.

Why do you want leafs instead of the coils and trailing arms? coils and arms control the differential better and ride nicer IMHO. If you really want leafs, you could convert your '65 to leafs if you wanted.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
Stepside65
Still Truckless!

Switching to 5 lug disks is way easier than trying to switch frames. Just a new rear axle out of a 5 lug truck. There should be a sticky on converting the fronts. Leaf springs aren't that great imo. A frame swap is no small task.
1997 Nissan Pickup Father-in-law's tonka toy I am forced to drive
Founder of The 60-66 Club

Tutor Et Ultor
Stepside65 is offline   Reply With Quote