The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #26
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Re: disappointed with factory assembly manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJchamp48 View Post
Geoff, can you email the doc directly to me? I want to do some manipulating of lines etc for printing and editing in future if needed. vwjh@hotmail.com
Thanks,
Vickie
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJchamp48 View Post
Alos, cant see a header...what do the columns mean?
Hey Vickie!!!....I'll email it to ya....it seems he gave everyone access to add stuff while indexing and it seems that the header got deleted The member that did the 67-72 one together will hopeful update it, but the header/ columns were showing what each page referenced (ie blazer, pickup, burb, and year specific, etc)...I hope yall get this one done too....

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #27
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcburdic View Post
Great....the guy that headed up made a "sign up" thread here maybe create a thread like that and get it going....just need a couple more folks to step up and take on this task
I would check for permission to do it first. believe that there is more than likely a copyright on that manual
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #28
ozzyman

So how does one Verify a page applies to a particular make/model of truck, For example the page I'm looking at currently for "Hinge pillar to rocker panel" says "Models: C-M-K Except F/F Cowl | 6.00"

Now to me it "looks" like it refers to a 60-63 cab with the wrap around windshield but it's hard to tell.

I am also having a difficult time finding This same area but where it applies to the kick panels/floor pans.

UHG I can see how this manual will be extremely helpful in finding all the spot welds but so far proves to be VERY time consuming finding that info.
ozzyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #29
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
I would check for permission to do it first. believe that there is more than likely a copyright on that manual
ron
I agree...we discussed this in that thread I provided...see post #22 and #23....

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #30
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcburdic View Post
I agree...we discussed this in that thread I provided...see post #22 and #23....
\]

just looked at the bottom of the first page and it says "reprinted with permission of General Motors Corporation" and on the back cover says that Golden State copyrighted the reprint in 1993, so you should check with them.
yhere may be a reason why it is the way it is with Golden States agreement with GMC.
watch your backsides. it is a lot easier to ask for permission. the worst that they can say is no. they have some pretty good lawyers
a friend in Pr.George, b.c maybe a little better than 20 years ago( both him and his wife's name started with "r"). they used r*r on their real-estate letter head
They get a letter from Rolls-Royce in england to cease that practice.
ron
Old 05-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #31
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

How does this e-mail sound to everyone? I will not send it until I get a little input from at least a couple of you to make sure you think this will cover us. If anyone else wishes to e-mail them also, their e-mail address is gsp@sbcglobal.net.

I personally do not think that it will matter. We have each purchased, or been given our individual assembly manuals, so Golden States would not be out anything. We would not be selling anything, nor copying their manual.

Any suggestions or modifications are welcome!

To whom it may concern,

Several members of a 1960 - 1966 Chevy/GMC truck forum and I would like to collaborate on putting together an index for the 1960 - 1966 Chevy/GMC Assembly Manual reprinted by your company. We each already own our own copies of your Assembly manual, and would not be dispersing copies of the manual itself to anyone. We would like to share our index only with others in the truck forum at no cost.

I am sending this to you to verify that IF we do this that we are not violating any copyrights you may have with GM. We have not started this project at this point.

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread

Last edited by chevy_man5; 05-05-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Changed color on pending e-mail text.
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #32
Budman56

Subscribe
Posted via Mobile Device

......................_____
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/
Budman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #33
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

On a side note, those of you who have the manuals, just past half way through the manual, on a right hand page, it appears that they are showing us how to install a beaver side hood emblem. Is that something Chevy offered?

Old 05-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #34
CRGRS 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_man5 View Post
How does this e-mail sound to everyone? I will not send it until I get a little input from at least a couple of you to make sure you think this will cover us. If anyone else wishes to e-mail them also, their e-mail address is gsp@sbcglobal.net.

I personally do not think that it will matter. We have each purchased, or been given our individual assembly manuals, so Golden States would not be out anything. We would not be selling anything, nor copying their manual.

Any suggestions or modifications are welcome!

To whom it may concern,

Several members of a 1960 - 1966 Chevy/GMC truck forum and I would like to collaborate on putting together an index for the 1960 - 1966 Chevy/GMC Assembly Manual reprinted by your company. We each already own our own copies of your Assembly manual, and would not be dispersing copies of the manual itself to anyone. We would like to share our index only with others in the truck forum at no cost.

I am sending this to you to verify that IF we do this that we are not violating any copyrights you may have with GM. We have not started this project at this point.
Would it be with making a phone call to them to discuss, and send a letter in the mail?

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #35
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

I will try to give them a call tomorrow. Depends on how much chaos is happening. LOL

Old 05-07-2012, 12:59 AM   #36
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I believe jonzcustomshop used to work for GSPP. He may have info on who to contact there.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #37
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

I just tried to send Jon a message, but his Inbox is full.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #38
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

I just spoke to the General Manager at Golden States. He stated that from a personal standpoint, and even a company standpoint, he didn't see any problem with us doing an index for their manual.

Golden States does not own the Copyrights though. They are still owned by GM. When Golden States needs more manuals, they have to use a specific printer to have more made. About 12 years ago they bought the rights to re-print them from the person that set it up with GM 20+ years ago.

Here is the website I got the paragraph below from.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-definitions.html

What is copyright infringement?
As a general matter, copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner.

We are not reproducing anything, distributing anything from the original work, performing anything, publicly displaying the original work, or making it into a derivative of the original work, we are just indexing the original work for ease of use.

What do you all think?

Old 05-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #39
1963c-10

Quote:
On a side note, those of you who have the manuals, just past half way through the manual, on a right hand page, it appears that they are showing us how to install a beaver side hood emblem. Is that something Chevy offered?
I believe it was part of the NAPCO trucks or the camper models. Heard it once before, just can't remember.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer

Last edited by 1963c-10; 05-08-2012 at 02:59 PM.
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #40
CRGRS 66

Quote:
I just spoke to the General Manager at Golden States. He stated that from a personal standpoint, and even a company standpoint, he didn't see any problem with us doing an index for their manual.

Golden States does not own the Copyrights though. They are still owned by GM. When Golden States needs more manuals, they have to use a specific printer to have more made. About 12 years ago they bought the rights to re-print them from the person that set it up with GM 20+ years ago.

Here is the website I got the paragraph below from.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-definitions.html

What is copyright infringement?
As a general matter, copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner.

We are not reproducing anything, distributing anything from the original work, performing anything, publicly displaying the original work, or making it into a derivative of the original work, we are just indexing the original work for ease of use.

What do you all think?
I believe that we are totally within the law to generate, and share an index to the manual. I believe that we would cross the line if we created an indexed copy of the manual, and proceeded to distribute it.
May I suggest that we agree on a column header format, then each produce our own excel spreadsheet? We should also agree on page numbering, there does not appear to be any page numbering in the manual. Do we make the front cover page #1, and go from there? Not even sure how many pages there are...

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
Old 05-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #41
1963c-10

I Agree. If I made an index at home for my use and gave you a copy I wouldn't be breaking any laws.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #42
padresag

it may be the word derivative that they could focus on
ron
if you do it for yourselves you will not have a problem. it will be though when you distribute it to some one else,eg; use for the forum
Old 05-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #43
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
it may be the word derivative that they could focus on
ron
if you do it for yourselves you will not have a problem. it will be though when you distribute it to some one else,eg; use for the forum
Good point Padresag. I had looked up "derivative works" to make sure we would not be infringing there either. This is another article that I had read regarding that. I meant to post it earlier too, just got sidetracked and forgot. http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ14.pdf

The entire article is about registering Derivative works, but gives a good definition and examples on the first page of what a "derivative work" is. I still think we are just fine, but going over the different possible problems is definitely a good thing!

Old 06-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #44
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Anyone else have any further input on this? I am still thinking we would be fine to go ahead on it.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #45
JJchamp48

I'm of the feeling that since they do not have an index already, that there would be no infringement, because you're not using their index then modifying etc. I wouldn't think you could have a copyright on something that doesn't exist.

Perhaps could be something they would be interested in after completed to include with the manuals....would save eveyone getting a manual alot of time. But don't know how involved and if anyone would want to undertake such a project.

As far as the index, we got a 60 not too long ago, but haven't gotten manual yet because we're not working on that one yet. Will probably get one tho, because it is useful. Woudl be willing to work on index.
89 GMC K2500 (wood hauler, truck & spare parts picker upper)
02 Dodge Intrepid (daily driver...lol, in all fairness tho it has hauled it's share of parts)
JJchamp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #46
CRGRS 66

The only other thing that I would add is that our "index" itself only refers to a manual. We would share the index freely. It would only be a reference to something that each of us has already purchased. If we share the index with someone who does not own the manual, it is of no use to them until they purchase the manual.

And per JJchamps thoughts... maybe we could seel our index to GM kidding of course!!

Old 06-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #47
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

This is my first page, and the last page with writing. Does this match your manuals?

I think we should maybe count out the pages, just to make sure at least a few of us match total page count.

I think I read in the other thread that they just numbered every odd page, to make it easier.

The document that was linked to is missing the headers, so I am not sure how they were checking things off, has anyone been able to locate a copy of that file with the headers?
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #48
CRGRS 66

Quote:
This is my first page, and the last page with writing. Does this match your manuals?

I think we should maybe count out the pages, just to make sure at least a few of us match total page count.

I think I read in the other thread that they just numbered every odd page, to make it easier.

The document that was linked to is missing the headers, so I am not sure how they were checking things off, has anyone been able to locate a copy of that file with the headers?
Yes, those are the first and last pages of my manual. So that first page then is page 1 (sounds dumb, but prob needs to be agreed upon)? Should we go through and number our pages starting there?

Old 06-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #49
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Sounds like a plan. I just counted them out, and starting as page 1 on the first picture, the last picture would be page 523.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #50
CRGRS 66

Quote:
Sounds like a plan. I just counted them out, and starting as page 1 on the first picture, the last picture would be page 523.
man you count fast! I will do the same, that I believe is the easiest part of this exercise completed!!!