The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
Techstudent

Worthwhile 4x4 project?

Hey all, yet another forum newbie but an old iron lover from way back.

I spied this old 4x4 chevy for sale and it is really far from me and in less than immaculate condition but for some reason I'm smitten with the old beast and just wan't to rescue it.

Spoke with the owner and he said typical rust (rockers and cab corners) but frame is solid and the bed is solid but needs new wood. Has a decent running 350 but has been converted from auto to 4-speed manual. He said that previous owners put (straight headers?) on it and that he installed a clutch but, because of the header design, it is a "short clutch". Anyway, he is asking $3500 and I hate buying rigs with too much in the way of alterations or with too much rust but I love this configuration and can probably make something in the price range work.

I'll probably have to buy sight unseen and that's never a good bet but can ask more questions and learn more before forking over money. I love the configuration and would keep it as (cap and all) with maybe a slow restore while running around town with it. Owner said he believes it formerly belonged to a trapper and, a lot like a grizzled old trapper, I think it has character in spades!

Does it seem like this would be worth chasing down and if I offer like $2500 would that be reasonable or an insult?

Thanks, in advance, for any help or advice!
Attached Images

Techstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:09 PM   #2
cooperhw

Re: Worthwhile 4x4 project?

Without going into "What's it worth" (against rules here unless you are a paying member) sounds like a fair asking/offer pricing. If it's something you want, buy it. Drive it, Enjoy it. "Don't rip it to pieces for that Mega Show Stopper Build". Trust me.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
Techstudent

Thanks for the response! I hear ya on pricing, that's all really subjective. One might not give a dime while another might be willing to overpay.

I think mostly just looking for a fun rig (with cool history and character) to bounce around town in. I don't see it ever being a trailer queen.

Thanks again!
Old 11-11-2015, 05:19 PM   #4
flashed

If that truck was anywhere close to me I would make it mine ,my wife might shoot me though .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:47 PM   #5
Techstudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
If that truck was anywhere close to me I would make it mine ,my wife might shoot me though .
It's not anywhere near me and I think I'm going to try to work something out.

I just, this afternoon, asked my doctor out. She declined as expected, (medical ethics and such) but it was fun, she was flattered, and I have nothing to regret!

On that note, I'm on to other impractical matters. It might turn into an expensive, strategic nightmare but you're only here once.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:51 AM   #6
El Dorado Jim

Did you buy this truck? it is nice and hopefully you got it, I love these old 4x4's
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:45 PM   #7
Techstudent

No, never bought this truck. I requested more photos from the owner but he wouldn't/couldn't send them. I like the old step-sides also but I couldn't physically look at it and I'm just never comfortable buying something sight-unseen.

I did end up purchasing this factory 4x4 carryall that was closer to where I live and looking forward to working on it this summer! Original 292 and 4-speed!
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2016, 01:10 AM   #8
El Dorado Jim

Nice old rig! in great shape,looks to be a '64 by the emblems,will be looking forward to your pics,and thanks for the update...
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote