The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-28-2024, 01:51 PM   #1
vardenafil

overheating at idle

I have a k20 with a 350sbc. When i drive around at speeds over 30 or 40 miles an hour my truck will run at 175 ish degrees on the coolant temp. When i idle or hit city traffic i slowly start creeping until i near over heating. I have a brand new 2 core aluminum radiator, a new hi volume water pump, a new thermostat, new hoses, in stalled a fan shroud etc... I did a chemical flush before i installed all the new items.

with all that im still overheating. I read on here that overheating at idle but not at speed is a sign of air flow like a missing fan shroud. I do have a fan shroud and the 7 bladed fan blades are half-way in like they should be.

the only thing i can think of is that:

1. the fan blades are several inches away from the back of the radiator. im guessing maybe 5 or 6 inches. i read that the fan blades should be almost touching the back?

2. my thermostat i got has a hole pre drilled into it "hi flow" bypass made specifically for hi flow water pumps. maybe too much fluid is seeping through and not allowing the coolant to stick in the radiator long enough to cool? My old thermostat before I got the new cooling system would still creep and it was not a hi flow stat. so i think this may not be the issue.

3. my truck has a big fat a/c condenser in front of the radiator maybe its deflecting air flow? I dont want to rip the condenser off because thats my next project after tires.

Do you think any of these might be an issue? anybody have suggestions on what to look at?
vardenafil is offline   Reply With Quote